It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just to let you know and not to scare anyone but......

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If you roughly have Hawaii as a centre point and have been following quake patterns this year you would notice that the ring of fire has had some pretty big quakes to the North,South and East but not YET on the West side which suggests to me that Calfornia could be due a large one in the very near future!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by dreamfox1

I'm no expert so I will claim ignorance on this matter. But I am wondering,

Couldn't all these mini quakes be actually relieving the pressure, rather than it being built up?

Yep. But don't tell anyone!

It's when earthquake activity drops you need to really worry. Because that means that as the plates continue to move relative to one another, the pressure is building and building and building ......

It's been suggested that inducing minor quakes might actually be one way we could help prevent big ones.

It would be true if the number of quakes were in the thousands per hour and we are not even close to that so no its not taking enough stress away.

i see that UtahRosebud beat me to it well then

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Originally posted by TopherWayne

I would take an earthquake over ANY other natural disaster any ol day of the week! I've lived in California all my life and have been through many many Earthquakes and they have never scared me. I would rather stand on shaking ground for a minute or two than risk getting whisked away in a damn tornado! The thought of being in the middle of a Tornado or Hurricane scares me senseless.

I know many, many people who state this lack of concern over earthquakes, as I lived in Southern California for 45 years.

Unfortunately, this is a belief that the mostly minor tremblers experienced in the last few decades accurately represent the experience of and damage from earthquakes. (I lived thru only 2 earthquakes in my time there that were moderate by my view - Sylmar when I was a kid and more recently Northridge).

For example, the Anchorage quake was many, many times greater than any felt in So Cal over the last forty or so years - and lasted for FIVE minutes. I agree that the experience of the "average" quake is not very intimidating, especially for earthquake veterans. But don't let that mislead you into complacency about what a strong seismic event can do.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Taking into account that the next big one will need a new level of the richter scale to mesure it and will prolly level all that area, I dont know how can anyone rather have an earthquake instead of a tornado...

The next big one will be like nothing history books mention... plus with the inevitable connection with yellowstone and the possible influence it could have on the cute little volcano...

But then again... every human will love to see a disaster of biblical proportions. Its a trade-off I guess... a very sick one.

So I rather have a clean weather, and a nice sunset, watching the birds giving place to the bats, over a quake, tornado, or any force of nature for all that matters...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thestupidguy

would that mean like cali raising up to a higher sea level?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Glad I'm not the only watching this. I took this shot today:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d95f21142f3e.png[/atsimg]
A few days ago:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1abaf37c0f5.png[/atsimg]
And an interesting series last week:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

OldCorp, when are you releasing the Truth Is Viral video?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by donlashway
would an EQ in LA be a problem with the 405 shut down?
maybe thats why they shut it down,..
a concern?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I'm no expert so I will claim ignorance on this matter. But I am wondering,

Couldn't all these mini quakes be actually relieving the pressure, rather than it being built up?

Yep. But don't tell anyone!

It's when earthquake activity drops you need to really worry. Because that means that as the plates continue to move relative to one another, the pressure is building and building and building ......

It's been suggested that inducing minor quakes might actually be one way we could help prevent big ones.

it's really weird to me that San Andreas fault is still having small earthquakes and nothing big, so i do believe that maybe USA is doing something about it? like causing those small earthquakes.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This guy says there's been a lot of activity all over the world and not all of it is getting reported on the maps
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne

Originally posted by girl_interrupted
I've only been in a few earthquakes and none were very large. It's still so terrifying. Give me a tornado or a hurricane any day. I can probably even deal with a volcano, but earthquakes freak me out.

I hope that this isn't the precursor to some big event out there on the west coast. And I sure do want all of our members out there to remain safe and sound.

LMAO! Are you kidding me? I would take an earthquake over ANY other natural disaster any ol day of the week! I've lived in California all my life and have been through many many Earthquakes and they have never scared me. I would rather stand on shaking ground for a minute or two than risk getting whisked away in a damn tornado! The thought of being in the middle of a Tornado or Hurricane scares me senseless.

When you realize that you are in a 10.7 quake, followed by 11's and even 12's you will suddenly wish for heavy winds instead, it will not be fun bouncing off the ground like a tennis ball.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Currently there is no such thing as a magnitude 10 earthquake. The largest was a 9.5 in Chile. Considering a nine continues shaking for 5 minutes, a 10 would be truely catastrophic.

Sources:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Glad I'm not the only watching this. I took this shot today:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d95f21142f3e.png[/atsimg]
A few days ago:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1abaf37c0f5.png[/atsimg]
And an interesting series last week:

I live right on that red dot by the Sea of Cortez. I feel constant tremors and my dishes rattle in the dishwasher even when I can't feel them. The ones I feel mostly are while I'm lying still in bed. It's an almost a constant vibrations or wave of motion.

I expect there will be a big one soon. I could put a bug out bag in my car, but if a really big one hits, I probably won't be able to get to my car because my mobile home will explode from the gas lines. The whole park would probably go up.

See ya on the other side!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I don't know very much about the San Andreas fault, but to all the people their expecting the big one, stay safe.... With everything happening around the Pacifc in the past couple of years, I can understand why people like yourself would be concerned... It is only a matter of time before it happens..

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I keep thinking Africa is the place to be during the shift..

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by UtahRosebud

Actually this is more of a myth now. There can never ben enough small ones to eliminate the possibility of a big one.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are about 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, and 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are far too few to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

Source - USGS - Earthquakes Facts & Earthquake Fantasy

Please don't tell the self professed "experts in everything" this, we wouldn't want to shatter their enormous, but fragile, egos. They seem to be able to ignore the fact that the real experts all agree that "the big one" is long overdue and could happen at any time.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Once again someone making a foolish prediction,I live in So California and it's been a while since I even felt a quake,this incessive rambling has been going on for 50 yrs that I can remember,the New Madrid fault will have a giant quake before a large quake on San Andreas,besides your local scientists have said it is incapable of a quake larger then 7.5,go watch your sci fi movies and play your video games,.leave the people in Calif alone,we are tired of your basesless claims

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Once again someone making a foolish prediction,I live in So California and it's been a while since I even felt a quake,this incessive rambling has been going on for 50 yrs that I can remember,the New Madrid fault will have a giant quake before a large quake on San Andreas,besides your local scientists have said it is incapable of a quake larger then 7.5, go watch your sci fi movies and play your video games,.leave the people in Calif alone,we are tired of your basesless claims

Where are you getting your "facts" from ? typing three words into google informs me that the 1906 San Francisco quake was a 7.9, so that's your theory that it's incapable of anything larger than 7.5 debunked straight away, maybe if you spent more time researching before you post and less time watching crap on T.V. you might make more sense.
Having your head buried in the sand is not a good survival mechanism

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Just because your local scientists say it could only be a 7.5 magnitude does not change anything for a few good reasons:

a: Again there is no duration, location or prediction of the energy released from the event.
b: Just because your scientists say that only a 7.5 can strike, a 7.5 would cause massive issues for you.
c: Your scientists would be gathering this information from past earthquakes and aswell as the post above, there is no saying that the next event won't be a new record high.

Please take that into consideration.

Sources: Myself considering I am from a currently active Earthquake zone.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowmoon

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
Does anyone know where I can find an EQ map of the past not including the month recently passed week for a comparison.

Not only that, everyone should look at the huge California valley in that map and notice its elevation compared to the rest of californias elevations. The valley is very low. Like in Japan, if a huge EQ does occur, that valley could drop. With many subsequent EQs it very possible that the entire valley could fall/drop below sea level, shortly thereafter there is a small perpendicular valley that connects the ocean with the valley that could also fall. Eventually, probably many centuries from now, maybe even multiple millennia, they will both be below sea level which would turn that valley into a huge bay about the same size as lake Michigan.

To me, the earthquakes are not what scares me about this area, its the repercussions of many large EQs over the next few hundred years. So yea, if you event yet I would suggest looking at the map again and compare the elevation key with the map and pay close attention to the huge valley and the much smaller ocean to valley connection valley.

You know what disturbes me ?
why did nasa took the ele orbit tracker offline ??
now it looks like they do got something big to hide :s
or is it just on my laptop ? can some one confirm this please ??

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It works on my end, is there a problem with the JAVA install on your computer? ELENIN is currently 1.669 AU from Earth... It will be at its closest to Earth, at 0.232 AU from Earth on October 17.

edit on 17-7-2011 by star in a jar because: spelling edit

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join