It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 Earthquake strikes Chile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
6.0 quake has hit chile, near santiago.

coming across wires now.

Reported by CNN about 4 hours ago - CNN

Not sure if the update I saw was the original quake, or aftershock / secondary quake.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am not sure where you are, but it shows it happened hours ago here in the US, EST.

Saturday July 16 2011, 00:26:13 UTC 4 hours ago offshore Valparaiso, Chile 6.0 22.9 Detail

Non the less, I haven't seen any thing posted as a result of this quake as of yet.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

yeah I updated the post. Im not sure if they were reporting on the origional quake or a secondary quake.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I live in Seattle and in Feb. of 2001 we had a 6.8 quake.....and it lasted for almost a minute...I think it was about 33 miles deep. The apartment building I live in downtown Seattle is an historical landmark ....and thank goodness the building was renovated and retro fitted in 1996 to withstand earthquakes. At that time we had very little damage...and downtown Seattle is above the fault line.

My point? Although earthquakes are scarey and not pleasant...a 6.0 quake...is not a quake that should do much damage.
edit on 16-7-2011 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. In just under a year we have experienced a 7.1, two 6.3s and many 5's and even more fours. The 7.1 quake did not cause as much damage as the two 6.3's. Without a doubt you cannot say that a six is not damaging due to the fact that the location, duration and geology of the area has not been mentioned. A six can cause damage, look at the before and after pictures of Christchurch before the 22nd of February this year

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Completely agree on the magnitude size. What my concern / curiosity is the frequency of the quakes around the ring of fire. Seems to be a pretty large uptick.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

gday Xcathdra

www.abovetopsecret.com...

= a good place to keep up with E/Qs...

seeya

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by Xcathdra

gday Xcathdra

www.abovetopsecret.com...

= a good place to keep up with E/Qs...

seeya

Oh sweet... Nice post / info man. S and F and will post any new info there.

new topics

top topics

join