It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jackson Lee: Congress complicating debt ceiling because Obama is black

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Jackson Lee: Congress complicating debt ceiling because Obama is black

thehill. com

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on Friday strongly suggested that members of Congress are making it difficult for President Obama to raise the debt ceiling because of his race.

In the minority community that is question that is being raised. Why is this president being treated so disrespectfully?

"Read between the lines," she continued. "What is different about this president that should put him in a position that he should not receive the same kind of respectful treatment
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time before someone brought the race card in this economic debate.

We have a fundamental disagreement based on economic and social philosophy and Ms. Jackson would suggest that merely not going along with the president means that for some reason you're a racist.

How about we expect intelligent and honest debate on the matter rather than, when the President's side of issue appears to be losing in the public arena we call everyone who opposes him a racist.

It is this kind of attitude that does the President a disservice, not those who legitimately oppose him
Herb Cain is opposing the plan, does that make him a racist as well?

thehill. com

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

It is this kind of attitude that does the President a disservice, not those who legitimately oppose him
Herb Cain is opposing the plan, does that make him a racist as well?

thehill. com

No.

More likely Herb Cain will be called an "Uncle Tom". Recall the treatment Clarence Thomas got from the left ...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

No doubt. The entire theme is offensive as it absolutely suggests that Obama can not stand on the quality of his programs. He does not need affirmative action to lead the country and to suggest otherwise is offensive.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Half-black, actually. Half-white as well as a little bit Irish.

You're racist, i'm racist, everybody's racist. So let's all just hate each other equally.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Not at all. The battle is over who will be able to steal the most money from the taxpayers

Via Earmarks......

If all social issues are met and the military is maintained there would be a surplus. Its the stealing thats complicating things.

But if we toss out the race card for cover......the thieves on both sides get to hide under it.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow, I tried to look up congresswoman Sheila Jackson's number and unfortunately she doesn't have a number posted on her website. I was going to call and tear them a new one for these comments.

Like an earlier poster said- he's half-white half-black so why is he automatically identified with the "blacks" more than the "whites"? That in and of itself makes no sense whatsoever.

I honestly don't even think about the president's race anymore. I just listen to what he says and if I disagree with it I disagree with it and if I agree, I agree. But these agreements and disagreements stem from what is being said, not the fact that he's black. (Or even half-black for that matter) The political left is absurd.

Edit to add- I found a number for her office- 713-665-0050 call her and tell her this kind of discourse should not be used in this day and age.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Ketzer22 because: n/a

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The political theater is truly the pit of disingenuous reasoning.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hahahaha, yeah right, because our economic issues have nothing to do with the fact of how much money we are wasting, it HAS to be complicated because someone is black. That makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Why is it every time something doesn't work out someone has to play this game of colors?

Contrary to popular belief, the color of ones skin has no real effect on the economy of a Country. The REAL reason congress is having issues with the debt ceiling is because they know its too high already. When are people going to stop being so stupid and actually use some common sense for once in their lives? Get with the program already people.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

The absolute idiocy is that there is not a single organization that operates this way other than the government. Not a large business, small business, family.

Rather than merely play this brinkmanship bs game and place draconian and poor choices as the only options, how about doing what someone competent would do. What most of us have done during this economic down turn?

Go through the budget, line by line and cut things that are not necessary immediately. Projects, corporate tax breaks, subsidizes, unnecessary defense programs, all of it. Do that and see where we are. Don't do the analysis on these items and their impact, just eliminate them and sort the problems out later. Cut the tax breaks for GE and the ethanol subsidizes and let God sort the problems out afterward. Once the nonsense is cut out, see where we stand and come up with a pragmatic approach to solving the problem. Simultaneously place a structure in place, be it a balanced budget amendment, line item veto, something that ensures that the problem does not happen again.

In reality it is not rocket science. This showmanship, lying on both sides, fear mongering is why folks hate the government.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
the sad thing is that alot of people will now believe it IS a race issue. primarily uneducated people from the black community.

i remember seeing a video on the news where they went around with a picture of one of the presidential candidates asking if people could identify him. they eventually asked a black woman who said "i don't know who he izz, i'm votin for ba-rak o-ba-maaa." she didn't care about who was running, she was voting for obama because he is black.

i can picture the same woman saying "they be hatin on him cuz he'z a brotha"

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

As soon as accusations of race break out I stop paying attention to the story. Whether it is true or not, accusing will do nothing. Either gather proof or keep your suspicions to yourself. She didn't need to say it anyways, Boehner & co. already told their wall street buddies that they would raise the debt ceiling so they can keep getting their corporate welfare (subsidies). They're just drawing it out to for typical brinkmanship. remember, we have raised this over 20 times before (twice in one year under Bush). The whole issue is moot.

Of course if the planets align and somehow the Reps don't bend, they will be blamed for triggering the economic landslide that is barely being held back right now

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
She does herself, and everyone who is of a various melanin content a disservice.

16 months to the election and here it is.

*disgusted*

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Have you seen this video? It's quite sad. Black woman at 2:12 is probably the most ridiculous.

In the video there are quite a few people that claim they're gonna vote for him simply because he's black. One lady in that video even comes right out an says it.

If I said "I'm gonna vote for so-and-so because he's white", I'd be a racist.
edit on 7/15/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It looks like a 75% reduction in government spending combined with a 50% reduction in the annual budget spending from two trillion in revenue you would then have a 1 trillion dollar budget to spend on services and interest compared to the now almost 4 trillion....and that would still take 10-15 years to erase the debt 100%, we would pay down about 1 trillion per year, so if we wait it'll be far worse down the line, just simple math, it would be hard to raise taxes on money that can hide and move, yet even with increases it would still take many years, these numbers expect little to no gdp growth... a lost decade, a different way of living. I think if we stretch it out further the pain will last longer, better to just accept the reduction for a mere decade, we lived for hundreds of years without these services, i think we can handle a decade, sure it would suck, but we would be far better off than anything offered by the political parties, they just don't want to lose the power and prestige associated with unlimited spending and unlimited currency, they all need to grow up. The corporations could all get together and work on paying it down as well, but they seem more obsessed with vaccinating the poor of the world or protecting their tax breaks and sitting on their profits, by cutting government you cut corporate welfare and public services, people will probably riot whether the spending maybe cut or not, either everyone grows up and accepts less in ss checks less in war for corporations, less in everything or we go into a TOTAL collapse, at least with my plan we still have a trillion dollar government despite all the cuts, if we cannot live within those means then we probably don't deserve a free society anyways.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
IMO, it's pretty easy to see why she played the race card. who is being 100% steadfast in their determination to not compromise in any way, shape or form? the Tea party. mainstream Repubs are willing to play ball to do what needs to be done to avert catastophe. they are having problems dealing with the fringe element (T-Pers) of their own party. the Tea party is believed to have been born of racism. I'm not saying I agree with that (although I do I'm not looking for a debate) but that's probably why Rep Jackson played the race card.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Sheila Jackson is a wingnut and nothing more. This has nothing to do with him being black and has everything to do with 2 different ideologies who both think they have the right answer to fix things.

Besides I never saw her take any proactive efforts to address this issue when she was in Congress. Nothing like 3rd party involvement to stur up politics.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

ugh, i couldn't watch past 1:31, then i fast-forwarded to 2:12. its disgusting.

it all comes down to education. a government controlled curriculum was the stupidest thing americans could have allowed. keep future generations dumb so they can be manipulated.

its kind of interesting in a psychological sense that people who were down-trodden because of their skin color would designate that as the primary factor in their choice for a president.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Sheila Jackson is a wingnut and nothing more. This has nothing to do with him being black and has everything to do with 2 different ideologies who both think they have the right answer to fix things.

Sheila Jackson is not a wingnut. She is a moonbat.

Wingnut - l."[1] In American politics, the term is more often aimed at members of the political right than those of the political left.[2]

Moonbat - Moonbat is a term used in United States politics as a political epithet referring to progressives or leftists.
edit on 16-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join