It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swarms of Locusts Use Social Networking to Communicate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Swarms of Locusts Use Social Networking to Communicate

ScienceDaily (July 15, 2011) — Social studies of Facebook and Twitter have been adapted to gain a greater understanding of the swarming behaviour of locusts. The enormous success of social networking sites has vividly illustrated the importance of networking for humans; however for some animals, keeping informed about others of their kind is even more important.

I thought this was pretty interesting. I enjoy reading these studies in relation to social networking and human behaviour and the cognitive/physical/emotional aspects and in this case, how it is related to insects.

Locusts rely heavily on swarming as they are in fact cannibalistic. As they march across barren deserts, locusts carefully keep track of each other so they can remain within striking distance to consume one another -- a cruel, but very efficient, survival strategy.

I wonder if this could be applied to bullying behaviour, especially with online bullying with children. I am not claiming that bullying is a survival strategy, but I wonder if there is a connection.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beauty from pain

Bullying is a survival strategy. People who bully use it to put themselves higher then those who they are bullying, moving them up in their mind and others, on the social ladder. Continuous bullying will rally friends behind the bully while the person being bullied is treated almost like a slave and has no confidence to get out of it.

In order for the bully to feel good about themselves and survive day to day they choose to belittle others, often times because their father bullied them and made them feel inferior.

Making people feel inferior is a way to feel superior, creating a livable environment for the positive and a harsh one for the negative.

new topics

join