It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is DNA the influence behind some paranormal activity??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is really one of the better ideas I've heard that could also explain why there are human ghosts, and not many animal ghosts (besides pets). Kudos, friend. This is the kind of stuff I come here for.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Wow cool thread!

I have read about this before how it's just energy you forming. It makes sense since energy just doesn't go away. I have had many ghost experiences mostly when I was younger.

The most recent was about two years ago. My friends wife had passed away in the house a few years prior. I had never met her or seen her. One night I was in the livingroom reading ATS of course
and I saw a figure of a woman in a white night gown walk right pass the bar in the livingroom. I was slightly freaked out. I just watched her walk and disappear. The dog was looking as well. When my friend got home I mentioned it and he turned white as a ghost. He said I described his wife and the gown she use to wear. I could feel a presence in there at times and so did he. There was a candelabra on the fire place mantle and a few times the candles just fell out or it seemed like they were tossed out. Now talk about making u jump! He eventually got rid of that thing.

I dont know what it is I see but I know I've seen quite a few apparitions. They have all been nice so it never really bothered me.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is an interesting theory. Some of the science of it makes my brain hurt to be quite honest., but I do see the possibility that it may be a link to some types of paranormal activity, however I don't think it can account for all of them. You and I really need to talk sometime soon. So much has been happening here, I don't post even a fraction of the activity we deal with on a regular basis. It drains me most of the time to be honest. I know that sounds strange but it's true, hard to explain. send me a pm soon please.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I'm not really understanding the whole "horizontal DNA transfer" thing... it just sounds like a joke about sex to be honest
but, the idea of telepathy makes a lot of sense to me; after I get to know someone pretty well its not too difficult for me to know what they're thinking about me - sort of like being an Empath I guess. I have tons of experiences when I meet people I've never met before the first time - and although many would argue it's simply my mind using stereotypes or previous experiences, it's not. It's totally different for me. It's a feeling you get when you walk into a room of random people, or when you first meet somebody new - you just know that they're either there to help or to hurt you.

As far as transferring DNA horizontally goes, it may be possible, and I can see where people may be experimenting with the idea - things like Teleportation -- the movie The Fly rings some bells... but to actually transfer DNA is a lot different than to transfer thoughts. That's just my opinion anyway... I guess if we ever DO figure out how to communicate via telepathy or how to teleport, we can probably figure out how to shapeshift as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I am and have been a legitimate paranormal researcher and mental health professional for many years now. I have some issues with several statements you have made. I'll address them individually.

You state that "Frequencies and psychic energy that heal DNA changes understanding of consciousness and reality". This is far from being a fact. There is no scientific evidence that this statement is true and there isn't enough scientific evidence to even allow an impartial person to make assumption that this might be true.

You state paranormal investigators since their inception have always tried to obtain irrefutable evidence to prove the existence of ghosts. This isn't true either, there are far too few honest and legitimate paranormal researchers. Too many are out for notoriety and possibly some financial perks as well. Rather than seek irrefutable proof they fabricate evidence and try to derationalize common occurrence to the point where they are considered paranormal.

You say science hasn't caught up with the needs of the paranormal investigator. This statement isn't true either. Show me 1 paranormal researcher who can quantify a ghost to the point where he can explain to a legitimate scientist what type of equipment he needs to detect a ghost 100% of the time. There isn't one. The truth is the paranormal pseudoscientist hasn't caught up with real science and more often than not chooses to ignore real science.

You explain what an EMF detector does and what an electromagnetic field is. But there is no proof that a ghost, spirit or demon generates an electromagnetic field.

YOu state how important the K2 meter is. The K2 is a cheap piece of equipment that only measures 1 of the 2 parts of an electromagnetic field. It measures the magnetic field but not the static electric field.

You also exaggerate the effects of EMF's encountered in the home on the human body. Even long term exposure to what a scientist would consider high EMF's for a home has no adverse affects on the body. Nobdy has ever proven otherwise. Yes high EMF's can cause problems even if you are exposed short term, but the levels required to do that are not found in homes. Actually the levels that most paranormal investigators consider high enough to produce hallucinations and their causes other ailments don't have a proven link. Evidence actually points towards no effect. ANd then some researches claim that the people living there have a hypersensitivity to EMFs. More pseudoscience and hocus pocus. There is no biological mechanism for hypersensitivity to EMFs. And the vast majority of scientific evidence says there is no link between the two. Funny how most so called paranormal investigators ignore the real science and focus only on what validates their belief.

Again there is no proof whatsoever that EMF's can transfer DNA, or should I say legitimate scientific evidence.

The stone tape theory. It has not been proven and for it to be true it requires a yet to be discovered energy source.

"The DNA has the ability to jump out and preserve itself onto almost any object" Offer one shred of evidence that this is even remotely possible. Please. Wild unsubstantiated theories only serve to make the paranormal field look like snake oil salesmen who don't understand real science. Genetic information is stored on your DNA not your thoughts. So interaction wouldn't be possible above the level of your interaction with an amoeba even if your theory held water.

Empathy has never been proven either. I absolutely believe in it but until it's proven representing it as fact without substantiating the claim is reckless. SOme people say empathic other call it being observant.

Clairvoyance isn't widely accepted because it never succeeds in meeting the burden of proof in a controlled environment. Again it's something I believe in and have seen but it doesn't meet the burden of proof for most of the world. Mediums fall into the same category as the previous two.

I'm not even sure why you brought up those 3 things.

Early on you spoke about the equipment you use to "do your best". " thermal imagers, IR night vision cameras, digital voice recorders, full spectrum cam-corders and cameras and, what may be most important now, electromagnetic field meters." Being as you nor anyone else can explain a ghost in scientific terms please tell me how you know any of the above equipment will capture anything ghostly? No offense but as soon as anyone represents EVPs as legitimate they lose all credibility with me. With all of the tv, radio, cell, satellite and cb transmissions out there and being as its impossible to ever rule them out as a source of evps anyone who represents any EVP as proof or even legitimate evidence should be ashamed. A normal explanation for an evp can never be ruled out.

I just don't see where you offered anything remotely attempting to validate your theory. Sorry but it looks like you took your skeptic glasses off. If you conducted scientific investigations you would have a different mindset entirely. The equipment used in investigations should be used to establish consistent reading to generate baselines for various types of paranormal activity as opposed to capturing evidence pr proving where paranormal activity is present.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

To put it a bit more simply than the source I quoted, an animal (in this case a parasitic one) obtains samples of blood from one animal and absorbs the DNA. On this DNA there are transposons which are able to detach themselves and fix onto other DNA strands allowing the genetic transfer of DNA "information".

They suggest that this might be a way that certain animals are able to evolve on a genomic level.

This method of transfer could even be passed on by the consumption of an animal and not just through the blood sucking habbits of parasites. It's not the method, it's the transposons that are responsible.

Teleportation is another matter. That is the transfer of solid objects on a scale that is way beyond this discussion. In the film 'The Fly', we see a person "blended" accidentally with a fly and then the genetic structure of the fly caused a mutation. That actual process is roughly along the lines of what we're talking about. The problem with that is it is a an artificial blending and not one that DNA or Transposons would necessarily make.

One thing though, is that the fly DNA remembered it was a fly and tried to mutate the new human tissue into something that it believed it should resemble.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975

I am and have been a legitimate paranormal researcher and mental health professional for many years now. I have some issues

Yes you definitely have some issues you need to resolve..

You state that "Frequencies and psychic energy that heal DNA changes understanding of consciousness and reality". This is far from being a fact. There is no scientific evidence that this statement is true and there isn't enough scientific evidence to even allow an impartial person to make assumption that this might be true.

I did NOT state that. Please re-read the first lines of the OP and realise I am linking to the title of someone elses thread which discusses that issue. Seems you've made a bigger mistake than anything I or anyone has made in this entire thread.

You state paranormal investigators since their inception have always tried to obtain irrefutable evidence to prove the existence of ghosts. This isn't true either, there are far too few honest and legitimate paranormal researchers. Too many are out for notoriety and possibly some financial perks as well. Rather than seek irrefutable proof they fabricate evidence and try to derationalize common occurrence to the point where they are considered paranormal.

Yes it is true.. I just omitted the charlatans. Same as I have not discussed dimensional beings that cross over and hide under childrens beds at night.. As for the amount of legitimate researchers, have you been on the internet recently and had a look as to how many there actually are?

You say science hasn't caught up with the needs of the paranormal investigator. This statement isn't true either. Show me 1 paranormal researcher who can quantify a ghost to the point where he can explain to a legitimate scientist what type of equipment he needs to detect a ghost 100% of the time. There isn't one. The truth is the paranormal pseudoscientist hasn't caught up with real science and more often than not chooses to ignore real science.

You've partly answered your own question... except for the way that science is doing very little in order to help paranormal research. The technology backed by science is simply not out there. Many researchers are relying on self built kit and testing the field with many different methods.

You explain what an EMF detector does and what an electromagnetic field is. But there is no proof that a ghost, spirit or demon generates an electromagnetic field.

I never said there was any proof..

YOu state how important the K2 meter is. The K2 is a cheap piece of equipment that only measures 1 of the 2 parts of an electromagnetic field. It measures the magnetic field but not the static electric field.

No, I said it "may be"...

You also exaggerate the effects of EMF's encountered in the home on the human body. Even long term exposure to what a scientist would consider high EMF's for a home has no adverse affects on the body. Nobdy has ever proven otherwise. Yes high EMF's can cause problems even if you are exposed short term, but the levels required to do that are not found in homes. Actually the levels that most paranormal investigators consider high enough to produce hallucinations and their causes other ailments don't have a proven link. Evidence actually points towards no effect. ANd then some researches claim that the people living there have a hypersensitivity to EMFs. More pseudoscience and hocus pocus. There is no biological mechanism for hypersensitivity to EMFs. And the vast majority of scientific evidence says there is no link between the two. Funny how most so called paranormal investigators ignore the real science and focus only on what validates their belief.

Actually I didn't exaggerate, i was simply going by the linked info i researched. But, there does seem to be a bit of a dispute going on as to exactly what damage, if any, EMF does. I suggest you go and have a look at both sides of that argument.

Again there is no proof whatsoever that EMF's can transfer DNA, or should I say legitimate scientific evidence.

Again, I never said there was.. you do like to nit pick don't you.. If you read the provided link at the top of the OP, you'll see how DNA can transmit its information electromagnetically. I think you're getting confused a bit more now.

If you don't like it, debunk it.. provide something that would shut this idea down for good rather than trying to invoke an argument over small little issues that you don't seem to be able to get a good grip of.
I'm all for discussion and throwing around ideas and thoughts, but not where it gets to the point of anyone being insulted.

An idea, or theory as you call it, is all that we currently have. Building on that idea helps towards finding or providing the evidence to back it all up... If we hit a brick wall along the way, then so be it. Trying to shut it down immediately because someone doesn't like an idea is, well, rather ignorant.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Just found something rather interesting and, well, so simple it's impressive.

When we are investigating a location we use EMF detectors to find EM fields, but after reading this paper I've found, it seems we could try looking for EMS's instead (EM Signals)

This paper describes how to build an EMS detector, which is connected to an amplifier and then to a computer for analyses. Although this EMS meter is only testing for signals from a 1ml specimen of fluid, I cannot see why it would not be possible to create a very similar device that would work in the field.

The only problem I can see with this (if it worked) is that you'd be picking up the signals of the people around you, unless you are able to modify it in such a way that its detection is directional (ie, only detects in the direction your pointing it, like forwards.)

Anyway, have a read of this very interesting bit of science;
Electromagnetic Signals Are Produced by Aqueous Nanostructures Derived from Bacterial DNA Sequences
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7144e277e49.png[/atsimg]
edit on 18-7-2011 by Extralien because: add picture.

ETA:
Better still, how about modifying a DNA detector that's pre-built??
Found this from 2003. The modifications needed would obviously be towards the EMF/S's as described earlier..

"The goal is a DNA sensor that is simple, lightweight, low power and reusable," said Plaxco. "The target is to detect certain types of DNA. There are existing techniques that are incredibly sensitive, but they are slow and cumbersome and take hours to days to complete." For example, doctors now check for genes by using a several-hour technique known as PCR, or polymerase chain reaction. Plaxco explained that the authors have developed an electronic detector for DNA based on a one millimeter electrode and electronics that can be held in the hand. The detector is "reagentless," meaning that nothing needs to be added to get a reading. Currently all other electronic DNA detection approaches require that the DNA be treated with reagents in order to generate a signal. "We've made an important step forward," said Plaxco.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Perhaps, science and technology are not so far behind after all... just needs a little tweeking

edit on 18-7-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Yet another bit of information surfaces to support how electrical charges are the influence behind the shaping of information in a genetic sequence (or words to that effect).

A great new thread has just popped up regarding the bioelectrical charge on an embryonic tadpole...
Check this out;
Bioelectricity on single tadpole cell forms "face of frog

fascinating stuff !!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
To add a link to a thread that I feel may have some relevance to what we're discussing. It is about the possibility that DNA remembers our 'ancestors' lives.
In a way, this could explain how we are able to recall a past life when under regression.
Here is the thread from 2008;
Possible explanation of Reincarnation

An here is a quote of the external text posted in one of the replies;

Research into the nature of DNA has revealed that this material within each cell of our bodies has important implications for who each one of us is, on many levels. In addition to determining our physical characteristics, our vulnerabilities to certain diseases, and maybe even our personality, is it possible that the DNA helix holds some of the important memories of our ancestors?

Theories that suggest that we can tap into the deep nature of DNA to uncover ancient memories are not new. In the 1960s, some psychological researchers claimed that there may be keys that unlock our DNA, revealing experiences of generations of our relatives who lived long before our present time.

In the 1988 movie ALTERED STATES starring William Hurt, the main character, a research scientist (Hurt) dives deep into his consciousness and genetic roots. In the film, he not only relives ancient experiences of his ancestors, he actually changes on the biological level.

This film was reportedly based on the real-life research of prominent psychologists and medical researchers of the 1960s and ‘70s who used isolation tanks and pharmacological triggers to access deep DNA memories and experiences, which they claimed were real. These ideas are similar in a way to the concepts of past lives and reincarnation. However, this DNA-related line of thinking focuses on the previous lives within us that are based on genetic memories, encoded on the DNA helix within us.

epages.wordpress.com...-4540
Yet again, we are seeing the possibility of DNA holding memories and information. But this brings about a new dilemma when we encounter a ghost. How can we be sure that we are experiencing the ghost of the most recent life of a person and not one of its, possibly many, past lives?

Whatever "life" we are experiencing when meeting with a ghost is irrelevant. The fact remains that there is some form of "spirit" that we have encountered.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
You just gotta love the members here on ATS.. What a great bunch of researchers..

Thanks very much to Cryptonomicon and the thread Never before seen: Bioelectricity on single tadpole cell forms "face of frog" that was started by this person.

If it wasn't for this thread, then some of the things that are cropping up may never have arisen in this thread of mine.
Sometimes it takes a different viewpoint in order to complete another picture.

I feel that some of the information that is now more available than before could help so much towards getting a more stable answer to my idea in the OP.

LordBaskettIV made a post in the frog thread and added this quote;

In 2005 a group conducted by P. Gariaev in Russia performed the following experiment. DNA samples were exposed to electromagnetic fields in certain frequency ranges. As a result, various luminous wave structures were created in the air nearby. They were recorded on film. These amazing phantom structures were found to move along complicated trajectories. Moreover, they mimicked the shape of the DNA sample and some objects surrounding it.
www.emergentmind.org...
Now that is pretty astonishing in my mind..
To understand this bit completely, you have to go up the page a bit and read this section;

A quartz cuvette with a DNA sample is moved from one location to another. And a trace, a phantom, is left in the air in the original location of the sample. This phenomenon was registered using the laser spectroscopy method by P. Gariaev in 1984 in Russia and by the group of R. Pecora in 1990 in the U.S.A. Gariaev also investigated the stability of the phantom and he found the following. After blowing the phantom away by the gaseous nitrogen, it comes back in 5-8 minutes. And the phantom disappears completely after 1 month. We remark that sound waves radiated by the DNA molecules were registered in these experiments.

So here we have an example of DNA being present, then being removed yet leaving behind a lasting impression of itself and even trying to copy other items around it.
The Phantom DNA has been captured on film and sound waves have been recorded.
This is incredible when you notice how much paranormal activity is either caught on film or recorded as sound.

Are we really witnessing the information left behind by DNA from a person. Is our genetic structure so powerful that we are able to leave an impression of ourselves for hundreds of years?
In this example above, the phantom DNA left an impression for at least a month, but this is just a small portion of DNA. The amount of DNA information left behind by a large body, such as a human, must surely be capable of making a much longer, lasting impression.

The spectrometer readings in 10 minutes after the removal of the cuvette with the DNA sample. After the cuvette part of the spectrometer was cleared by gaseous nitrogen, the spectrometer started giving the background readings, like in the Figure 1a. above, but within 5-8 minutes a “phantom” was registered again. This procedure was repeated many times, and each time a “DNA phantom” would return. Approximately in one month the “phantoms” gradually disappeared, or ceased to be registered, shifting beyond limits of sensitivity of the spectrometer.

This bit "shifting beyond limits of sensitivity of the spectrometer" is interesting too.. Just where does the 'phantom' go if it does not completely disappear.. it seems it kinda 'moves on'..

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Have been sitting thinking over what was said in regards to the sound waves that had been captured from phantom DNA and I remembered an old thread of mine.

It relates to EVP's that were captured and analyzed and found to possibly contain an image.
Coined "VSP's, or Visual Spectral Phenomena", are images that appear to have been created in the recording of EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomena).

Here's the link to the thread;
VSP (Visual Spectral Phenomena) A New Discovery

And here is a more up-to-date link for the evidence itself;
VSP (Visual Spectral Phenomena)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
hey hun
from my OOOOOollllld thread on past lives understandings that cover the genomic imprinting premise.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by 2theC

You are referring in a round about way to genomic imprinting and epigonemics.
Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Genomic imprinting has functional differences on specific genes derived from paternal versus maternal development. One is expressed, the other is silenced.

Epigonemic phenomena is well established in mice and suggested in primates. Paternal and maternal affect different behaviours, however, how this works in humans is yet to be studied to its fullest. Modificatoins of the human geonome imprint happens, though not enough information is out.

Imprinted genes are monoallelically expressed in a parent-of-origin dependent manner. Whilst the full functional repertoire of these genes remains obscure, they are generally highly expressed in the brain and are often involved in fundamental neural processes. Besides influencing brain neurochemistry, imprinted genes are important in the development and function of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, key sites of neuroendocrine regulation. Moreover, imprinted genes may directly modulate hormone-dependent signalling cascades, both in the brain and elsewhere.

Much of our knowledge about imprinted gene function has come from studying knockout mice and human disorders of imprinting. One such disorder is Prader-Willi syndrome, a neuroendocrine disorder characterised by hypothalamic abnormalities and aberrant feeding behaviour. Through examining the role of imprinted genes in neuroendocrine function, it may be possible to shed light on the neurobiological basis of feeding and aspects of social behaviour and underlying cognition, and to provide insights into disorders where these functions go awry.

www.epidna.com...

Epigenetic mechanisms, including DNA methylation, histone modifications, and other chromatin-remodeling events, are critically important in mediating precise neural gene regulation. This review focuses on discussing the role of DNA methylation and histone modifications in neural lineage differentiation, neural behavior, and synaptic plasticity.

www.epidna.com...

So the epigenetic changes are our current behavioural modifcations, and you are connecting previous behaviours by ancestors to our underlying imprints.
IF Epigenetic molecular mechanism can potentially alter underlying lifelong and transgenerational perpetuation of changes in gene expression and behavior induced by environment, then it is yet to be proven fully how these over time were imprinted on DNA.

How these imprints created the experience between three of us connected via paternal lineage.... does make me scratch my head. I shall ponder more. TY

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
hey hun
from my OOOOOollllld thread on past lives understandings that cover the genomic imprinting premise.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So the epigenetic changes are our current behavioural modifcations, and you are connecting previous behaviours by ancestors to our underlying imprints.
IF Epigenetic molecular mechanism can potentially alter underlying lifelong and transgenerational perpetuation of changes in gene expression and behavior induced by environment, then it is yet to be proven fully how these over time were imprinted on DNA.

Nice point.
A bit like living in the 14th century then suddenly jumping forwards to the 21st century and not taking too long to adjust to the 'new and improved' as not much has really changed.
We're still people, act and look like we did before. the only difference being the technology gap and conditions in which we live.
But, for many, this might cause an issue (and probably does but we don't realise it). Let's take hunting as an example. We used to live by hunting all manner of animals, now we fight it out in a supermarket trying to get the best cuts at the best price.

Another way of looking at it is by going on a holiday to some remote village in the middle of a jungle. You and the natives know what a smile is, a frown, how to eat and sleep, the differences between right and wrong etc etc. even though you've never seen a hand made bow and arrow and they've never seen a HD 50" plasma TV screen. There's somethings so deeply rooted in us that we are able to connect on many levels. No matter the distance, be it by miles or by time.

Quite a complex bit of thinking going on right now

Thanks for that zazz

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
zazz = Mystique

en.wikipedia.org...

shhh... just kidding

You do realize "the fly" came out back in 1958 right? Just sayin'

en.wikipedia.org...

Yea I'm tired and just joking around now but this stuff really is fascinating.

BTW altered states is a great flick too, I love the part where he turns into a werewolf and breaks into the zoo, and the ending where he finally transforms / evolves into a complex "alien being" - or whatever u want to call it. Why not mention those, or are you just focusing on the actual "human traits", if so.. the part you're talking about reminds me more of a "hobbit" or something than a caveman, with the weird looking feet and all, but I see your point.

For whatever reason, your whole description of "horizontal DNA transfer" keeps putting the images of vampires in my head - I guess it's when you started getting into the idea of parasites... It's strange to think that the parasites are actually sucking DNA out of us and other creatures rather than simply feeding off us.

Sounds like a great idea for another movie, sort of like a "body snatchers" idea, which is strangely, another very old but interesting movie.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 24-7-2011 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

lolz

well lookie at a 24 jul discovery just on what i linked up there until now there hasn't been a clear mechanism to explain how individuals could develop a "memory" of a variable factor, such as nutrition

Researchers at the John Innes Centre have made a discovery, reported this evening (24 July) in Nature, that explains how an organism can create a biological memory of some variable condition, such as quality of nutrition or temperature. The discovery explains the mechanism of this memory -- a sort of biological switch -- and how it can also be inherited by offspring
The work was led by Professor Martin Howard and Professor Caroline Dean at the John Innes Centre.

Professor Dean said "There are quite a few examples that we now know of where the activity of genes can be affected in the long term by environmental factors. And in some cases the environment of an individual can actually affect the biology or physiology of their offspring but there is no change to the genome sequence."

For example, some studies have shown that in families where there was a severe food shortage in the grandparents' generation, the children and grandchildren have a greater risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, which could be explained by epigenetic memory. But until now there hasn't been a clear mechanism to explain how individuals could develop a "memory" of a variable factor, such as nutrition.

more on the research paper here
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Perhaps our perceptions of the environment and people around us are indirectly contributing to our own DNA; for example, what I think is "normal" is completely different from what you think is "normal".

I've never once been to Australia in my entire life. But, I have been lucky enough to visit England several years ago... I remember after being there for a few days, several of us began speaking with British accents - simply because all of those around us spoke that way. It was "normal".

I have no idea if any studies have been done on this sort of thing before or not, I'm just going by my own personal feelings on the matter. I have, however, recently become aware of a woman that had dental surgery and woke up with a British accent; maybe that's why I'm "focusing" in on this idea?

today.msnbc.msn.com...

I guess what I'm trying to say - for lack of a better explanation - is that we "learn" how to behave from our parents, we also tend to act and look a lot like them - maybe there is more to this than what we realize...

www.youtube.com...

^-- How many 8 year olds do YOU know that ride motorcycles?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

^-- How many 8 year olds do YOU know that ride motorcycles?

I can not visit the link as I am at work but I will respond to the comment that followed the link.

Not motorcycles but I knew a few that rode mini bikes back in the 80's when I was about that age, while I was not one of them, I was busy with writing computer programs on my fathers home brew computer, this was about 1982, before the personal home computer was the norm. This could still all be related as well as many of their fathers rode as well and I have many of the same skills with electronics and computing as my father, who knows?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

As we are growing up, we are directly influenced by the environment and people around us... it's sort of "funny" in a way how as you get older you start to realize this more.. For example, some people never even leave the place they were born and therefore base all of their ideas about the rest of the world simply on what others tell them.

Sort of like our education system in a way, if you ask me. I really think we should be taught more on how to not only educate ourselves on what others have done, but then go on to question those ideas for ourselves - and after creating a hypothesis - like they teach you back in elementary science, or at least used to, go on to experiment for ourselves and record the results.

This is how we first came up with the ideas that we base our knowledge of the world on, isn't it?

I was born in 1981 and I can remember back when I was in school, it was considered annoying when a kid would sit and raise their hand asking questions over and over. Most of the time they would get ridiculed / lectured by the teacher for it, and made fun of by the other students.

I remember when I was in college, I used to ask my one computer professor questions when I didn't understand what she was saying, and she would do things like taking her whiteboard marker and writing the answer on my computer monitor, saying things like "There are you happy now? Pay attention!"

I didn't bother staying in college very long because of this kinda stuff going on all the time.

My best friend is dyslexic and he literally used to get spanked by one of our teachers back in elementary school, because they didn't know he was dyslexic and couldn't understand why he couldn't figure out how to do "easy" math problems - this led to him telling his mom what was going on, and she called the school up and chewed them a new one.

The guy now works tech support for a pretty big pharmaceutical company, and when someone asks him a question, he can sit there and tell you step by step directions on what to do without even looking at a computer screen. And I'm not talking like "hold on a minute, lemme look, or lemme go check something." He can answer questions rapid fire like he's some kind of robot. Might sound pretty stupid on here reading it, but if you saw it for yourself you'd be impressed.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I think you may be onto something big here...we are surrounded by DNA in the wood that houses are made of and most furniture. Maybe that DNA is playing a part here, too? I dunno, just a thought...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join