It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is DNA the influence behind some paranormal activity??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Recently, there was a thread about DNA and its ability to transfer its information electromagnetically to other molecules, such as water. For the full thread please visit this link;
Frequencies and psychic energy that heal DNA changes understanding of consciousness and reality

So, what has this got to do with the world of ghosts? Quite a lot, if I'm right...

I am one of the lead investigators for a paranormal team and I have had a rather strong interest in the paranormal all my life. For as long as I can recall, and history records, anyone involved in this field (along with UFO's) has been doing their utmost to obtain un-refutable evidence to prove the existence of ghosts. Many a picture has been taken, thousands of videos showing unexplained things occuring and millions of EVP recordings have been collected over the years, yet technology and science has not yet truly caught up with needs of the paranormal investigator.

I will try to write this in a manner that makes it simple for everyone to understand as many PI's out there will already know a lot of this information.

We do not have exact equipment in order to record or capture paranormal activity. There are, though, several items of technology that we use in order to do our best. These include, thermal imagers, IR night vision cameras, digital voice recorders, full spectrum cam-corders and cameras and, what may be most important now, electromagnetic field meters.

What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field (also EMF or EM field) is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It affects the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field. The electromagnetic field extends indefinitely throughout space and describes the electromagnetic interaction. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature (the others are gravitation, the weak interaction, and the strong interaction).

The field can be viewed as the combination of an electric field and a magnetic field. The electric field is produced by stationary charges, and the magnetic field by moving charges (currents); these two are often described as the sources of the field. The way in which charges and currents interact with the electromagnetic field is described by Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law.

From a classical perspective, the electromagnetic field can be regarded as a smooth, continuous field, propagated in a wavelike manner; whereas from the perspective of quantum field theory, the field is seen as quantized, being composed of individual particles.
en.wikipedia.org...

There are a few pieces of information there that will be more relevant as the thread develops.
Now we move on to the type of equipment used by PI's to register EMF activity.
This image shows the most typical piece of equipment used by many PI's, commonly known as a K2 meter.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6e591f925fa.jpg[/atsimg]

As you move into an electromagnetic field, the lights on the unit respond according to the strength of the field. PI's use this to firstly test the area to discover if EMF's are causing suspected paranormal activity. EMF's are believed to be pretty bad for the human body and can cause all manner of problems such as hallucinations, for example.
For more on the causes and effects of EMF, look here, Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) - Hazardous to Our Health?

Hopefully you've already grasped the idea of how EMF is a major factor in the transfer of information from DNA.
Now let's start to link EMF and the information held in DNA and how it could be a big part of paranormal activity.
Ever heard of the "Stone Tape Theory".

The Stone Tape theory is a paranormal hypothesis that was proposed in the 1970s as a possible explanation for ghosts. It speculates that inanimate materials can absorb some form of energy from living beings; the hypothesis speculates that this "recording" happens especially during moments of high tension, such as murder, or during intense moments of someone's life. This stored energy can be released, resulting in a display of the recorded activity. According to this hypothesis, ghosts are not spirits but simply non-interactive recordings similar to a movie.[1] Paranormal investigators commonly consider such phenomena as residual hauntings.
en.wikipedia.org...
also;
www.yourdiscovery.com...
And many other sources (do a search)

You'll notice how they say "some form of energy". This energy may very possibly be the electromagnetic power of DNA as it transfers its information in order to preserve itself.. A survival instinct if you like..

So how does this DNA information become a "ghost"?

DNA — is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms (with the exception of RNA viruses). The main role of DNA molecules is the long-term storage of information. DNA is often compared to a set of blueprints, like a recipe or a code, since it contains the instructions needed to construct other components of cells, such as proteins and RNA molecules. The DNA segments that carry this genetic information are called genes, but other DNA sequences have structural purposes, or are involved in regulating the use of this genetic information. Along with RNA and proteins, DNA is one of the three major macromolecules that are essential for all known forms of life.
en.wikipedia.org...

This made me ponder for a while and the only explanation I can come up with is the sheer amount of DNA in a human body transferring itself all at once. In the case of a murder, for example, self preservation is going to be extremely high. The physical body has nowhere to go, but the DNA has the ability to 'jump' out and preserve itself in almost any object.

It may be that this mass of collective DNA is able to adhere itself in a sustainable field (via EMF) yet still resemble the person it once was. All the information, and possibly memories, of the lost body/person is suspended until it can find a release. This release may come in the form of another solid object or it's departure to the "next life" or "spirit world" or "heaven" (whatever it may be).

When a ghostly apparition is observed, it could be that the DNA energy has noticed human activity nearby and has drawn water molecules from the air (moisture) and formed a figure. Because this moisture is an actual physical object, then it may be possible that the DNA energy is using that with which to affect other objects, or people, within the vacinity. Interaction with the 'ghost' might be possible due to the DNA info still thinking that it is a complete human entity.

The strength of the EMF of DNA may be so great that it could explain a lot of other paranormal things such as empathic abilities;

Empathy is the ability to read and understand people and be in-tune with or resonate with others, voluntarily or involuntarily of one's empath capacity. Empaths have the ability to scan another's psyche for thoughts and feelings or for past, present, and future life occurrences. Many empaths are unaware of how this actually works, and have long accepted that they were sensitive to others.
healing.about.com...
Clairvoyance;

The term clairvoyance (from 17th century French with clair meaning "clear" and voyance meaning "vision") is used to refer to the ability to gain information about an object, person, location or physical event through means other than the known human senses,[1][2] a form of extra-sensory perception. A person said to have the ability of clairvoyance is referred to as a clairvoyant ("one who sees clearly"). Claims for the existence of paranormal and psychic abilities such as clairvoyance are highly controversial. Parapsychology explores this possibility, but the existence of the paranormal is generally not accepted by the scientific community.
en.wikipedia.org...

Or even Mediumship;

Mediumship is the claimed ability of a person (the medium) to experience contact with spirits of the dead, angels, demons or other immaterial entities. A medium is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "a person believed to be in contact with the spirits of the dead and to communicate between the living and the dead".[2] The role of the medium is to facilitate communication with spirits who have messages to share with non-mediums.

Mediums claim to be able to listen to, relay messages from, and relate conversations with spirit, to go into a trance (it is not necessary to go into a trance, it all depends on the medium's control and knowledge) and speak without knowledge of what is being said, to allow a spirit to control their body and speak through it, perhaps using a writing instrument (as in automatic writing or drawing). Mediumship is also part of the belief system of some New Age groups. In this context, and under the name "channelling", it refers to a medium (the channel) who is said to receive messages from a "teaching-spirit". In some cultures, mediums (or the spirits to whom they are connected) reportedly produce physical paranormal phenomena such as materialisations of spirits, apports of objects, or levitation.
en.wikipedia.org...

All of this took me into deeper thought and made me push the boundaries rather slightly. Nonetheless, this idea that the EMF transfer of DNA information has a very deep rabbit hole. It made me think of the ancient Egyptians and their ideas about eternal life, reincarnation and the like.. And even evolution itself! I found one bit of text which was rather interesting as it mentions water as being the sustenance for the soul

The belief was that Ra and the other immortal Gods managed to live forever because he kept rejuvenating himself. Accordingly, the Pharaohs bore names meaning, for example, "He Who Repeats Births" and "Repeater of Births." The Gods rejuvenated themselves by partaking of divine food and beverage at their abode. Therefore, the king's attainment of an eternal Afterlife called for his joining the Gods in their abode, so that he too could partake of their divine sustenances.

The ancient incantations appealed to the Gods to share with the deceased king their divine food: "Take ye this king with you, that he may eat of that which ye eat, that he may drink of which ye drink, that he may live on that whereupon ye live." And more specifically, as in a text from the pyramid of King Pepi:

Give thou sustenance to this King Pepi
From thy eternal sustenance;
Thy everlasting beverage.

The departed Pharaoh hoped to draw his everlasting sustenance in the celestial realm of Ra, on the "Imperishable Star." There, in a mystical "Field of Offerings" or "Field of Life," there grew the "Plant of Life." A text in the pyramid of Pepi I describes him as getting past guards with the appearance of "plumed birds," to be met by the emissaries of Horus. With them,

He traveleth to the Great Lake,
by which the Great Gods alight.
These Great Ones of the Imperishable Stargive unto Pepi the Plant of Life
whereon they themselves do live,
so that he may also live thereon.

Egyptian depictions showed the deceased (sometimes with his wife) at this Celestial Paradise, sipping the Waters of Life out of which there grows the Tree of Life with its life-giving fruit, the date palm

The celestial destination was the birthplace of Ra, to which he had returned from Earth. There, Ra himself was constantly rejuvenated or "re-awakened" by having the Goddess of the Four Jars pour him a certain elixir periodically. It was thus the king's hope to have the same Goddess pour him too the elixir and "therewith refresh his heart to life."
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Are the Egyptians actually talking about the transfer of information held in DNA? Are we the fruit from the tree of life? Has this tree drank from the waters that contains our DNA? Is this evolution at work?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Have you heard of the Holographic Universe? If your looking for possible explanations I think you will find one if you learn a bit about the idea.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I love this 'thinking out loud' about this topic. I have much paranormal activity in my home and seem to attract all these types of things (good and bad). Will follow your thread further, am interested in hearing what others have to say. S&F

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Search4Truth420

Yes I heard a little about it and have just read up on it a bit further and, in a way, it does make sense and kinda fits in with my idea above.

simplest way of looking at it is the amount of particles and gasses that are floating around in, let's say a nebula, which are the 'information' or 'building blocks of future stars and planets.

This material has to come from somewhere and, oddly enough, it comes from stars and planets.. So again we have the retention of information in order to reincarnate as the very same stuff it originated from.. which just makes you wonder what the universe itself orginaly was before the 'big bang', if that bang ever happened in the first place..

If this idea is at all correct in any way, then the universe must be a reincarnation of what it was before.. the death of a universe scattered the informational particles so much and then began to reform as what we know it to be today.. If so, then a universe had to have existed prior to the death (or big bang) of this universe.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Now that is a very interesting idea! Thank you for sharing it.

If such a thing could explain hauntings, the question would then become "does our DNA store memories?". And the answer to that question is, experiments have suggested it is possible.

I did some searching and found this:

REMEMBER your first kiss? Experiments in mice suggest that patterns of chemical "caps" on our DNA may be responsible for preserving such memories.

To remember a particular event, a specific sequence of neurons must fire at just the right time. For this to happen, neurons must be connected in a certain way by chemical junctions called synapses. But how they last over decades, given that proteins in the brain, including those that form synapses, are destroyed and replaced constantly, is a mystery.

Now Courtney Miller and David Sweatt of the University of Alabama in Birmingham say that long-term memories may be preserved by a process called DNA methylation - the addition of chemical caps called methyl groups onto our DNA.

That was published in the NewScientist. (you have to pay to access the entire article, but if you search the name "Memories may be stored on your DNA" there are reprints on blogs and other websites." article preview here

I think there is much more to human biology and the energy it contains then science fully understands. Only by asking questions like these will we begin to truly understand the world around us.

Thanks Again,
OiO

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

In my opinion, Yes DNA does contain memories. It's the only explanation as to how "natural instincts" become embedded into the DNA strands themselves.. Which, in itself, has to point to evolution of DNA, it's long learning curve, its ability to adapt and change and seek out a new 'body' once it becomes seperated from an old one.

A group of collective DNA all sharing the same 'memories' of a lost body must have some method of being able to commune with the existing world as it did before it was seperated from the physical. Hence the DNA's ability to form itself, electromagnetically, into the form of what it once was..
edit on 15-7-2011 by Extralien because: add a word.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Amazing thread. Very interesting theories.
I'm down in the rabbit hole myself these days - looking at energy, as in all things are energy. I attempt to find the logical somewhat scientific explanation for the woo-woo I cannot otherwise understand.
I wish the post was garnering more attention I am interested in what others might post.

Why do I think instinctively that all the answers to life's mysteries lie in Physics?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone
Why do I think instinctively that all the answers to life's mysteries lie in Physics?

I think the same thing. I read as many books as possible trying to understand it all. When anyone asks me about things paranormal, I always tell them I think the answer can be found in physics. I see it as a problem though. Most physicists aren't willing to discuss the topic of paranormal. And even if something was found and not disproved, would it be accepted?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have the Tao of Physics sitting on my bookshelf I think that author gets into this strata of topics. No, have not read it yet - shame on me. But it waits.
I think SOME physisists (whoa sp?) will entertain these ideas, concepts and theories. The problem is it is such a LARGE branch of science and it encompasses so much. I often wonder if some information is supressed on purpose. Also that these types don't often communicate well with each other either for those lightbulb moments. I know a couple of guys with PhDs and social butterflies they are not.

My current interest is in remote viewing - being along the lines of energy not being constrained and we are more then our bodies ect. This may seem unrelated to this thread but when you start looking at time/energy/dna/brain waves - and stray into looking at not just the Western views and possiblities - you get into some wild territory. Of course I struggle to understand and put it together. There are/were physisists involved with the remote viewing program, google the Stanford research project which was heavily government funded.

I am sorry about lack of names at the moment but there was also the man who scientifically communicated with plants - yes - maybe it seems off topic but aren't we discussing the flow/freedom of energy? So much is possible when we take off the blinders of restriction that are in place because of the limited knowledge and intelligence of man.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Taken me a while to find this bit of video and the best one I can find is in a compilation.

We are interested in the apparition that appears. You'll see it walk across the room.

Your start point on the video is at 1 minute 10 seconds. Watch from there up to 2 mins 50.

This apparition is a prime example. What, exactly, has formed this image? Was it the electromagnetic force of DNA manipulating the atmosphere or is it something completely different.
The ability to form a body, imo, suggests a memory of something that once was..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone
The problem is it is such a LARGE branch of science and it encompasses so much.

But it wouldn't be too difficult for them to get together and study this idea in the OP.

there was also the man who scientifically communicated with plants - yes - maybe it seems off topic but aren't we discussing the flow/freedom of energy?

Yes, i remember that.. also a study done on how plants feel pain and can prepare for major damage. They can also warn other plants apparently.
I don't think it is off topic, it's just another example of this 'energy' we call 'life force'.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wow, very cool eye opening stuff here. Thank you. The idea that DNA can carry some sort of "psychic link" or perhaps some sort of special gene is very interesting to me. I've have several very strange experiences throughout my life, and it's funny looking back on it because there are several people in my family that have had similar things happen to them. One quick example off the top of my head is the night before my grandmother died.

She had lung cancer and had a severe asthma attack which woke my uncle up (he and his wife were living with her / taking care of her at the time) resulting in her being taken to the hospital ER. Anyway she was there and lived for a few more days, but during that time she apparently told my uncle and my mother that "Everything's going to be ok. Dad came and talked to me last night" (Dad being her husband, my grandfather - I never met him); she explained several things they talked about with my uncle and mother.. to summarize, basically told them it was her time to go and that everything was going to be ok, she also told them NOT to tell me and my sister, but after she died and my sister and I cried so much - being very close to her and very young at the time - they couldn't resist the urge to tell us what she had told them the night before.

There are several other examples as well but I won't sit here typing all of them out, I'm just showing the connection in what you're saying to my own personal experiences.

The idea that something is passed from generation to generation makes a lot of sense to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think

The idea that something is passed from generation to generation makes a lot of sense to me.

Not only is it passed from gen. to gen. but it is also passed horizontally. I've just been checking up on some pages I've found as this thread develops.
Firstly there is this;

Researchers at The University of Texas at Arlington have found the first solid evidence of horizontal DNA transfer, the movement of genetic material among non-mating species, between parasitic invertebrates and some of their vertebrate hosts.

Genome biologist Cédric Feschotte and postdoctoral researchers Clément Gilbert and Sarah Schaack found evidence of horizontal transfer of transposon from a South American blood-sucking bug and a pond snail to their hosts. A transposon is a segment of DNA that can replicate itself and move around to different positions within the genome. Transposons can cause mutations, change the amount of DNA in the cell and dramatically influence the structure and function of the genomes where they reside.

the large amount of DNA generated by the horizontally transferred transposons supports the idea that the exchange of genetic material between hosts and parasites influences their genomic evolution.

www.sciencedaily.com...

And also this from an ATS thread found here
This bit is rather important as a form of evidence towards my idea...

DNA has been found to have a bizarre ability to put itself together, even at a distance, when according to known science it shouldn't be able to.

the research published in ACS’ Journal of Physical Chemistry B, shows very clearly that homology recognition between sequences of several hundred nucleotides occurs without physical contact or presence of proteins. Double helixes of DNA can recognize matching molecules from a distance and then gather together, all seemingly without help from any other molecules or chemical signals.

scientists observed the behavior of fluorescently tagged DNA strands placed in water that contained no proteins or other material that could interfere with the experiment. Strands with identical nucleotide sequences were about twice as likely to gather together as DNA strands with different sequences. No one knows how individual DNA strands could possibly be communicating in this way, yet somehow they do. The “telepathic” effect is a source of wonder and amazement for scientists.

This recognition effect may help increase the accuracy and efficiency of the homologous recombination of genes, which is a process responsible for DNA repair, evolution, and genetic diversity.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

Further on I found a rather interesting bit of info about how HIV was basically discovered/detected. It talks about the electromagnetic signal that DNA gives off, and there is also mention of the very same detection even with no DNA present.. which, in line with this thread, suggests an information transfer has occurred and the information is still transmitting as if it were a complete, living portion of DNA.

detecting electromagnetic signals from bacterial DNA (M. pirum and E. coli) in water that had been prepared using agitation and high dilutions,[18] and similar research on electromagnetic detection of HIV DNA in the blood of AIDS patients treated by antiretroviral therapy

High dilutions of something are not nothing. They are water structures which mimic the original molecules." He did admit that he wasn't working with the very high dilution levels normally used in homeopathy: "We find that with DNA, we cannot work at the extremely high dilutions used in homeopathy; we cannot go further than a 10-18 dilution, or we lose the signal. But even at 10-18, you can calculate that there is not a single molecule of DNA left. And yet we detect a signal."

en.wikipedia.org...

So, again, we have the interaction of a signal from DNA whilst interacting with water.
Is it too far fetched to think that moisture in the air is able to be utilised by 'left behind' DNA 'information and respond accordingly.
When I say "respond accordingly" I refer to the way that EMF meters being used on a paranormal investigation are often found to react to some form of electromagnetic field that has been stimulated by the PI asking questions... questions like "is anyone there?"

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
So if this is true, the only way to kill a ghost is high levels of radiation.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ledzeppelin489

Not necesarily so... take a look here;
video.syfy.com...

If you can, watch the full episode...you might think diferently afterwards.

We've got to remember that we may not be dealing directly with the DNA itself, rather the information it transfers from the physical.

It could be that this information still thinks it is DNA, and as a collective, a human.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Entities-R-Us have read this thread and apparently provided a good idea for another of their rather famous cartoons.

You'll find the relevant cartoon here;
www.entities-r-us.com...

Thanks ERU!!

Kinda feeling honoured

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Wow, wow, just wow! DNA transferring horizontally???
This reminds me again of physics - where protons can know what other protons are doing - at the same time.
Am I right, have you heard/read this?

I read recently that solar flares can be "felt" before the effect actually reaches us. Also that human beings can be measured on fMRI's to respond to a random negative image before they see them - with accuracy - though the images are random.

How do we explain these things? Again time/energy and physics.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Very interesting hypothesis. Nice to see new ideas in the paranormal. Still mulling it over a bit and wrapping my mind around it. Perhaps the 'ghost' itself is just a 'glitch'. It should have moved on to whereever the 'DNA energy' would naturally go, but because of the circumstances of death, the 'DNA energy' kicked in some survival switch and psychicly (? maybe/maybe not) imprinted itself into the surroundings, as you stated. Perhaps the 'glitch' or 'transfer' was screwed up in the trauma of the death and was only partionally/erroneously imprinted, screwed up in a way that leaves the 'DNA energy' almost wandering and zombie-like, confused if you will. Lots of other thoughts here, but it's been a long day. Great thread!

Also wanted to add as an afterthought, perhaps the reason there are not more 'ghosts' regardless of traumatic deaths (such as hospitals which ghosts seem to avoid) because the survival switch doesn't always imprint to the surroundings because there is something about the surrounding EMF field that doesn't support it. Probably not explaining this idea clearly.

edit on 16-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Let's say that we have two soft skinned animals, both from the same family.
One dies of natural causes. All the DNA and its energy gets absorbed by the Earth and carries on its natural course.
The other animal suddenly finds a huge pair of jaws crushing it death and eating it. This causes the DNA to transmit itself through the trauma and becomes a 'ghost' of itself.

so there it is, floating around wondering what the heck happened and what to do next. It then comes into contact with another animal from the same family and decides to (lets say for example) horizontally attach itself to the new animal that has just come within range. This new animals DNA then learns of a clear and present danger that it could get eaten.. so it develops a shell over its soft skin in order to combat that threat. This newly learnt info is passed on genetically down the line and the creature evolves into an armoured form of its once soft self.

You're comment that the DNA energy could be wandering around confused and zombie like is probably the best way to describe any ghost even though many are said to be able to interact directly to questions etc.. IMO, this just shows that the DNA energy is still able to learn and progress and be ready to do whatever is needed for it to 'move on' to the next step/level.
The big difference between the animals DNA and the Humans is that the Human is not currently in the need to learn any new survival techniques. It is more focused on its own mortality, religion, heaven and hell and many other spiritual type things that give it a more complex confusion and could explain why some ghosts seem to have been around for 5 or 600 years or so.

Ghosts from various wars have been seen, or been in contact with mediums and the like, in particular civil wars and many other situations. The majority seem to be still around due to some form of major stress or trauma before their demise. We also have the "unfinished business"types .. Suddenly realising you're dead in your sleep could just as easily kick in the 'DNA energy dispersal survival technique' as much as a traumatic demise does.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan

Also wanted to add as an afterthought, perhaps the reason there are not more 'ghosts' regardless of traumatic deaths (such as hospitals which ghosts seem to avoid) because the survival switch doesn't always imprint to the surroundings because there is something about the surrounding EMF field that doesn't support it. Probably not explaining this idea clearly.

That is an important point. You would be correct in your thinking. The "survival" may not always work for many reasons. The required EMF links being one of them. There may not be enough of the right materials around, such as materials used in a building. The atmospheric conditions might not be right (thunderstorms, clear days, moisture in air etc), or even the readiness of the person departing. It could be that they do not fear what is coming and the energies disperse naturally and combine back with the universe to carry on the cosmic energy (so to speak).
edit on 16-7-2011 by Extralien because: add a few words..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join