It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

well to each his own my friend
2nd

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I can't believe no one knows the answer ! It's the chicken of course ! Since when do eggs have legs and been been able to run ?
sorry, i couldnt resist that one

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Therian
Egg came first... Chickens are foul,foul come from lizard(dinosaurs). Mutated through mating creating the chicken. Living species such as the dog. Two dog with the same traits were mated to create different breeds. in this case nature took its course two lizard bird mated and had an egg which turned out to be a chicken. The other way around wouldn't work . It would have had to mutate into a chicken from something else while alive.
Therian

Side note that says the eggs needed warmth.. Plenty of lizards hide their eggs where they can maintain a certain heat....
edit on 14-7-2011 by Therian because: just Cus

Then where did the Lizards come from?

And the Dinosaurs the Lizards came from ?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Originally posted by Dashdragon
reply to post by TattooedWarrior

Well...if birds evolved from dinosaurs, then neither came first.

It was the lizard or rather some lizard-like protobird

Which still laid eggs

@ScRuFFy63 - That's a good point
edit on 14-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

Yes it did, but the lizard/prehistoric bird laid the egg and therefore came before either, which was my point.

To the poster who mentioned junglefowl...that would be getting even more complicated than we probably already are if we start talking specific breeds of fowl and domestic chickens

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

You cant just ask that Death_Kron, thats cheating

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wikipedia says egg
satisfied?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
ok heres the truth--- most speices on this planet can cross breed so theres was no chicken and eggs can hatch more then just chickens so what the real question is what 2 animals make a chicken when we know that we will be ready for space and farther inhabbiting mars correctly oh yeah did i mention that if the parents had hated the new life form none of us would be here only humans hate things for what they look like every other animal even if it has big scary teeth or looks mean loves its young if humans wernt beaten and forced to belive in god we might have become a smarter speices but at the same time only likeing things that look likeus might have made it so we are here to day but thats onlyin the mind set that what we look like is what we should look like i believe we could have looked like any cross of all the creaturs i also believe that we would have ended up much smarter though resorces are limited we would have had similar problems as we do to day water shortage food shortage who knows all we need for cross breeding is this is the males penis to big and hurt the female once that problem is solved a new life form

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is pretty simple, through gradual mutations it went like this:
(and yes this is a simplified version of events, but with the difficulties people seem to be having on this thread, even this analogy may be a little too hard on the cranium.
)

Single celled Life Form
through gradual mutation
|
Osmosis
|
Multi-celled lifeform
|
Cell Replication
|
|
|
DNA diversity, sexual DNA transmission
|
|
|
Millions of Years later
|
Fish.
|
Egg layer mutation/mechanism evolves. helps protect offspring during gestation. Survivability of parents improved
|
|
A few more millions of years
|
|
First amphibian land-dweller.
|
Lays eggs like fish brethren.
|
|
genetic split between land dwellers.
|
|
|
More millions of years later
|
|
Proto-Avian species.
|
|
Eventually
|
|
Modern Chicken.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
The chicken was a Genetic mutation from a bird that laid the egg.

Are sure you're versed in Biology. Seriously, google is right in front of you. USE IT.

There you have it ..in a nutshell (or egg )
Want mine over easy..side of bacon..

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The egg evolved many millions of years before anything resembling a chicken. So, the answer is, the egg came first.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Reply to post by Afterthought

/thread.

Epic post

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Which came first - the chicken or the egg

None of the above, they both evolved and changed with each other from the beginning of whatever organism in question existence.

The process is necessarily for the propagation of life and to keep things from stagnating. So when the chicken existed so did the egg, and vice versa. Your not talking about two distinct things here, your talking about one thing with different processes and forms.

When the chicken was something other then a chicken, it still laid eggs did it not? Even if the eggs were not as we know them today, but in the end it still was part of the process of its existence was it not?

Maybe you should ask when did this organism called a chicken, if you trace it back into its genome even back into single cell ooze, not use the process of eggs in all there forms. And how did they come to be as they are today?

It's a trick question. It's like asking which evolved first, the arms or the legs on a monkey?
Only not so obvious because the egg is not so obvious and a in your face, everyday thing. But all complicated creature use some version of the 'egg" or "seed" to spreed its genome and it evolved differently in different creatures.

So... the chicken or the egg.... you cant have one without the other, the rest is semantics and what you call it in its different evolutionary stages.

Maybe what you meant to ask is. When did the chicken and egg evolve or come to be as we see it today?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Chicken was always there!
Timeless, omnipotent, eternal...
Akushla

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The chicken obviously.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

i would have to say the egg came first, because the genetic mutation that led to the chicken would have been passed by the parents to the chick. IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
A lizard mated with a bird,
That spawned the egg
That birthed the chicken

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
i so wish i was the guy who thought up that question,

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
the chickens earliest ancestor came first. i believe mitosis and meiosis was used before the use of eggs.

you fail to understand evolution if you believe a chicken or an egg was the origin of its evolutionary bloodline in the first place.
edit on 15-7-2011 by strafgod because: a 2nd line

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The egg is a method of reproduction... the chicken is a name given to a collection of genetic traits.

Asking which one came first is illogical.. if you get it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join