It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scared to death of dying!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I hope this is in the right place my apologies if not the case.

As far back as i can remember, since i was like 5 or 6 i have had issues with death and dying. it literally scares me to death, Ive had nightmares about it, and sometimes when i get fixated with it, i see situations where i could possibly die. for instance i will walk somewhere and think i'm going to fall and smash my head on the floor and die.

Nothing happened, nobody died, when i was that young, my grandad died when i was 13 and went to see him in the chapel of rest (which my mother didn't think was a good idea) but my own curiosity wanted to go and see for myself..all i can say it wasn't a very good experience for me. i could go on all day about how it makes me feel but would rather not.

I know we all have to die, we are born to die, death is part of life etc, i know all this but it doesn't change the fact that the thought of dying is always in the back of my mind :/

My question to you guys is does anyone else have these thoughts and feelings about death?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good.

Means you are still sane.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've feared death as long as I can remember. I sometimes obsese over it, sometimes not even sleep at night. I have somewhat a belief of the afterlife, but I'm not to convinced of it, so this leads me to this fear. I've tried religion and all the going to heaven stuff but I just can't see it. I know some VERY religous people who are afraid of dying, does this disprove their faith...hmmm? If someone tells you they are not afraid to die, they'd be lying.

For example: Put a gun to someones head, who says they aren't afraid to die, watch what happens.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kalowe73

I dont want to die either... I dont fear death, but I hope the time before it will be without pain, and thats that..dont have time writing bout it, busy living

edit on 14-7-2011 by Vandalour because: better now.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Put it in perspective. We are all nothing before we are conceived. We fanatically, tenaciously hold on to life and then we die. Dwelling upon death is not only not healthy, its not going to solve any of life's problems. No one really thinks much about life before life, so if you're afraid of dying, just remember - you came from somewhere.
edit on 14-7-2011 by NightFlight because: typo

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Despite the user name I was actually terrified of death, the whole notion that one day I'll literally cease to exist petrifies me. I love being alive, being able to communicate and express my thoughts and ideas, I've often wondered what is the point in living if it's all going to end anyway...

I've come to the conclusion that life is for living, enjoy yourself while you are here and try to make your mark in what ever way you can. Learn as much as possible, experience as much as you possibly can and try to help others - people will remember you for what you were and if one person said at my funeral "What a great guy he was old Death_Kron" I'd be happy.

Touch others, be a good person and once again learn as much as you can!

An immediate relief from my fear of death is that I personally believe there is live after it - that's my own personal opinion based upon what I believe and what I've read/heard/experienced, whether that's an automatic self defence mechanism I'm not sure. But I do believe there is some form of life after death...

Finally, the thought still terrifies me on the odd occasion.

link   

As you said, "We are all born to die." My Dad told me this when I was still young. I come from a family of Military & Agricultural background. Both dangerous occupations and unforgiving if you become apathetic to what is around you.

I have accepted death. It was remarkably liberating. I still think of it in regards that I don't want to necessarily cause others death, but I hold no fear for my own.

link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Thats funny because i want a nuke to explode above my head.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

I hear you about obsessing over it, sometimes get to the point where i question my own sanity over the matter, or if i am just being silly thinking these things that are out of my control.

People have asked me the question "would you want to live for ever" yes i would actually, i know outliving my family seeing them all go would be very painful and maybe i would want to die after all that.

But i do wonder if there is more after dying, afterlife, heaven or do we just cease to exist. everyone has there own thoughts and beliefs whether we go somewhere or not.

maybe i am just scared of the unknown.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I am truly not afraid to die. I know where I am going when I die, do you?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
I am truly not afraid to die. I know where I am going when I die, do you?

The ground.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You are not alone, the 2nd most popular thing to be afraid of is death, after public speaking, or so I hear.
Anyways, when I was young I was afraid to die too, I think it's the unknown we fear.
But I no longer fear death because I know there is life afterwards.
How? I've studied it extensively, or at least quite a bit.
I've read litterally hundreds of near death expirences and became convinced that there is more after we die. Death is just a stepping outside of your body to go on another adventure. The stories were all different yet shared enough to convince me of this.
If you are afraid of something, the best thing to do is become more familiar with it because we fear mostly what we do not know. Try reading some NDEs, (you can find a lot by typing NDE into google) it may help.

Love and Joy

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalowe73
My question to you guys is does anyone else have these thoughts and feelings about death?

I used to be afraid of dying much like what you describe, but interestingly I nearly died twice and since then I have no fear of it at all. One time was really a close call, the funny thing was my "last" thoughts were "oh, so this is it? Hmmm." LOL! All the fear and panic I thought would be there wasn't, just a sense of calm.

I also used to have a HUGE phobia about having blood drawn, it would totally freak me out if I thought about it. Then I got a rare infection and they had to do bloodwork on me in the hospital every hour for a solid day. After the first few times I realized it hurt, but not like I had imagined it would. Fear is a nasty thing, it really distorts reality.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It is not actually death that you fear! It is the unknown! Fear of the unknown is very common and more people than not suffer from it. If you have family, and everyone does, part of the fear you feel is actually worry. Worry about what will happen with your children if you should no longer be around to care for them. Who will see they attend college, who will see them graduate, etc. And angst or longing for you missing big events, like weddings, and the birth of grandchildren. The shortest verse in the bible is "Fret naught." God doesn't want you to worry about things that you have no ability to control. All people, everywhere, worry and fear the unknown. It is 100% normal. For people with type A personalities, emotional responses to things they are unable to plan for, can seemingly become obsessive. So, the way I cope is to think about it this way. No matter how bad things may get, I will get through it. and I will live through it. Even if I have to go to jail for something I didn't do (my greatest fear), I will get through it and I will live through it. Until I die, and then it won't matter anyway. You fear the UNKNOWN, not death itself!

link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

I do not know where i will go when i die, i was taught that there was heaven and there was hell, but its not where i will be going that scares me its just the thought of dying, if it was the case of dying painfully then i would say its just the fear of a painful death..but even the thought of dying in my sleep and not feeling any pain doesn't comfort me.
edit on 14-7-2011 by kalowe73 because: (no reason given)

link   

I think so much like you it's uncanny! It's the ceasing to exist that reallys scares the sh*t out of me. I'd love to live for ever, even though this life isn't always kind to me, and it's a scary place to live. I truly hope there is life after death, an even better place than this.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
To be honest, growing up, I never feared death. In fact, I would do some pretty stupid things just test my limits. As I grew older and began to experienced death through loved ones, I learned to respect it, but still no outright fear of it.

Then I had children. The fear of death takes on new light once you've created life. That respect and understand of the balance is unavoidable. It's not a fear of where you're going, but of what you leave behind. I don't care where I go, or what happens to my body, it's the effect my death will have on my family that scare me.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoyDreamer
You are not alone, the 2nd most popular thing to be afraid of is death, after public speaking, or so I hear.
Anyways, when I was young I was afraid to die too, I think it's the unknown we fear.
But I no longer fear death because I know there is life afterwards.
How? I've studied it extensively, or at least quite a bit.
I've read litterally hundreds of near death expirences and became convinced that there is more after we die. Death is just a stepping outside of your body to go on another adventure. The stories were all different yet shared enough to convince me of this.
If you are afraid of something, the best thing to do is become more familiar with it because we fear mostly what we do not know. Try reading some NDEs, (you can find a lot by typing NDE into google) it may help.

Love and Joy

Hate to burst your bubble. You know they've done tests and proved that NDE's are located just in the brain, right? They actually were able to take people, perfectly alive, and cause a NDE while they were awake.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

We probably would have some great conversations on this topic alone

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hi Kalowe, very recognizable your feelings. Could have been me, in a not so very distant past.

Whenever I used to think about it, and I had to, a lot of people I cared about and loved died, in a relatively short time span, I got so scared I never had been in my life, it weren't the thoughts about death that upset me, no, the feeling in my guts, like a sickening nervosity, a dark cloack that out of nowhere starts decending upon you and starts covering you up. I found it hard to give that feeling a place, to describe it and name it.

All of it began to change when my Mum died a few years ago. One day I leeched a few albums of the usenet and I love to listen to music, and I love all kinds of music, but my fav nowadays is Heavy Metal. One of them albums I leeched, and yes of course own originals as well, was from a Swedish band called Sabaton. Somehow the lyrics to the song "Burn Your Crosses" lifted the curtain that I've never seen in front of my eyes. That's was the moment I started waking up.

A learned a lot in a very short time, not all of them where very pleasant, but the hardest was to go inside myself. I started to analyze myself, my thoughts, feelings and deeds, and after a few months I realized that my fear originated from several different sources. I can't, or won't describe them all to you, but the main one was me becoming a dad (single). After my daughter was born, I turned in to a kind of a chicken, At first I didn't notice it consciously, but when my fears showed themselves in my daily doings, it all went down....fast !!! Where I used to love speed, bike and car, I sold my care and went by public transportation. Before I did all kinds of crazy stuff, but suddenly I didn't do any of that anymore, even riding rollercoasters of going to amusement parks, was to much for me, always scared something could go wrong, a cart of a rollercoaster derailing, a bolt from a big swing or whatever breaking off, that made me real chicken.

But ok, enough about that. When starting waking up, I gained a lot more confidence because the things that I started seeing, suddenly all made sense. I knew that if I used my brains the way they where meant to be used, I even could say things that made sense too. I could see a lot of things in an other perspective. A lot of things hurt a lot along the way, but somehow, it made me stronger, I could discuss and convince people about al lot the shady things happening in the real world, without being to pushy, like I used to before.

Somehow I found peace with all of it and of course I'm a bit scared how it will be, passing over, but not scared ***** anymore. I learned to accept myself again, even accepted my darker side and dealt with it. I know and aknowledge all bad things I've done and I regret them. I've had Karma deal with me, and I learned a lot of lesson the hard way, but it brought me also where I am know. not exactly where I would like to be, but we'll see where it wil end.I learned that some things are inevitable. And that a lot of things that made me afraid where things, like never seeing my friends again, never going to go to concerts anymore, no more music and that kind of "trivial" stuff.

I live my life till either my vessel stops functioning or the world. We live in interessting times, always new surprises waiting just around the next corner and I enjoy them, whether good or bad..There is a reason for them and us being here on this moment !

Keep your head and hopes up....and
Mors non finis

Ukuthula

top topics

<<   2 >>

join