It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, Trolls, and Personal Attacks!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I guess this is more of a rant then chit chat, you decide.

What is going on with ATS lately? I fell there are more trolls and personal attacks more than ever! I come here to have intelligent discussions with people and start OP’s and all I get is personally attacked, trolled, or one upped and constantly have to defend myself. I don’t mind having to defend my threads but when I’m getting personally attacked I get derailed. Am I the only one with this problem or are others getting it to.

And yeah I can’t spell so get over it trolls! How about you argue the merits of the post and stop the attacks and calling me stupid because I’m not a good speller.

im done, thank you

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Don't let it get you down. Everyone has a right to their opinions, and some people aren't as polite as others in their telling of it. Why should you let someone elses opinion make you feel bad, or like your having to defend yourself? People like to debate on here, and play the devils advocate and provoke certain conversations. Just say what how you feel about the subject, and be open to others opinions even if they arent open to yours. Sometimes your right, and sometimes your wrong but I think here on ATS we try to educate others and learn from others. Some people just get too passionate and it may put you off. I am sorry if anyone on here has disrespected you on here, I hope that we all try to act as adults.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

i understand and dont mind talking about the subject at hand but when you get to the personal attacks it gets alittle crazy and derails everything

edit on 14-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thats what you get when a website doesnt enforce an age limit.

There are literally hundreds of non pubescent kids on here now....you can tell by the way they speak and the way they reply.

If the owners dont do something soon all the good members will leave and the kids will have this as their own little site.

Ive left once before because i didnt like what i was seeing on here....i returned in 2010 in the hope things had changed but they had in fact got worse..an IQ test may be the answer lol

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 14-7-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

It's summer. That's when the trolls come out. They have nothing better to do as they don't know how to work, or play outside.

They'll go away in the fall, only to be replaced by younger trolls next summer.

But there are some who will just disagree with you, and that's ok. As long as they have a rational argument.

And as former guy who's nickname was "Troll", before the Interwebs....I take offense.

link   
Don't worry about them, although it's VERY tempting to succumb to it, try not to address them, if they resort to personal attacks they ain't worth the energy and it does derail the thread to dwell on it. It's very irritating when people seem to just be out to attack a thread you've put effort and time into, but it's the nature of the beast, sometimes it's better to laugh at the idiocy and rise above it, although a difference in opinion is totally fine. I have noticed what you're talking about recently though.
edit on 14-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

link   

Okay yeah, I hate when that happens, but I still just try to put it past me, those people have their own issues if they want to bring it to a personal attack, and I just tell myself "its the internet, and whatever, that person must be upset about something" it sucks that it happens though. I agree

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It is getting a little tiresome to see the constant abundance of people making off-topic posts, negative comments, and continueal "dissing" going on.

I, like many, came here for intelligent, adult-oriented discuession on "tabboo" topics like UFO's, Space objects, religeon, and government cover-ups, and yes even "doom and gloom" prediction posts.

What I see is people making a good OP, and the next one after that OP I see is someone with the mindset of a 2 year old.

"Geez another wasted thread, get a life and stop wasting net space with YOUR drivvel" type posts.

Have we lost our common decency as people to where, if we see a thread we may not, we still MUST go post some sort of crap, just to post?

Some people need to learn to "not say anything, if they cannot at least say something constructive".

This is a great website for discuession, and it's being made look like an AOL chatroom by those less-then polite people.

If you don't want to deal with another "doom and gloom" thread, then don't flipping open the thread, move on to another one, it's not that hard of a concept. yet, what do they do.. they go in and make some off-topic comment about the mental facilities, and mental state of the OP, and others posting in the thread.. It really is childish, and unbecomming of ATS and it's membership.

Thank you for bringing up this topic, OP.. it's getting out of hand. and It will drive the good members away, and ATS will be left with trash.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have only been a member since March and I can tell you I had no idea that Adults could and do act in such a childish and negative way. This is the only forum I belong to and with that said I guess I was naive to think that others could debate and exchange ideas with positive words. I have learned to be nice regardless and to not let it get to me.

I do understand how you feel though. I have been off topic and derailed and then get penalized and it has happened twice. I wonder why the others didnt...... but.....hey.....it is ATS.

I will say I am very appreciative to belong to a site where I can share ideas and listen to others theories. There are a lot of positive, upbeat, and intellectual people here....the others.....just ignore them.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I personally enjoy your posts.

This is a very diverse group of people.

It's just a bulletin board bro.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

And yeah I can’t spell so get over it trolls! How about you argue the merits of the post and stop the attacks and calling me stupid because I’m not a good speller.

I don't want to troll your thread...but how about a spell check program?

Might eliminate any spelling concerns...and to be honest...it's easier to read through a thread when I can understand the words...if you spell like crap it makes it difficult to follow.

I am not an English major and don't get too hung up on spelling...but it does make a difference.

How about trying a program to spell check your typing...even on ATS?

Here is a good program and seems to work fine for IE anyway...LINK

Like I said...I don't want to troll your thread...but I thought this might help with the spelling issue at least!
edit on 14-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

I don't want to troll your thread...but how about a spell check program?

Might eliminate any spelling concerns...and to be honest...it's easier to read through a thread when I can understand the words...if you spell like crap it makes it difficult to follow.

I am not an English major and don't get too hung up on spelling...but it does make a difference.

How about trying a program to spell check your typing...even on ATS?

Here is a good program and seems to work fine for IE anyway...LINK

Like I said...I don't want to troll your thread...but I thought this might help with the spelling issue at least!
edit on 14-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

well thank you, i use microsoft word for the most part on the spelling but some times words get mixed up. im trying to spell better and im getting better at it. but i will mess up in the future

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It's awful, I will agree with you there. I guess its a function of the board spreading in popularity.

Well, there is still plenty of good material being put out...including yours.
Quality is always recognised even if I don't input much in the econ threads these days. (Actually, for the reasons you describe in this thread...I'm sick of the trollage in that part of the board most particularly. Tragic because it used to be my favorite stomping ground on ATS).

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

well thank you, i use microsoft word for the most part on the spelling but some times words get mixed up. im trying to spell better and im getting better at it. but i will mess up in the future

No worries man...just offering some help...no offense meant!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I use MS Word prior to posting, but sometimes even that doesn't work.

But I get where you are coming from.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Consider it as trash on the side of the highway of life.
You don't have time to stop and pick it all up or you'll never get to your destination.

You're a Camaro!
Use your top gear bro.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Consider it as trash on the side of the highway of life.
You don't have time to stop and pick it all up or you'll never get to your destination.

You're a Camaro!
Use your top gear bro.

lol good point, i guess i just let things get to me to ease. Its just hard when you put alot of time into a OP and it gets trashed and you fell like no one appreciates it.

I just got to learn to brush it off

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There are 'snarlers' about, and I would not confine it to trolls. There are those who would deliberately intervene a good thread by just being ridiculous if the subject matter is controversial, just to wear people down.

Those people have an agenda, and by now I'm sure you know where they are coming from.

Open a little black book and stick in the name/s and just don't reply, some of the 'snarlers' have been here quite awhile too, some I would consider that should know better, and that was something of a surprise when it first caught my attention.
No matter, keep on posting, Smurf.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've actually had more problems with twitchy Mods than trolls.
I'm about to jump ship.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join