It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printable antenna harvest ambient energy. Tesla quirks an eyebrow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

This was posted about 5 days ago from a different source, but it's the same thing:

Power from the Air: Device Captures Ambient Electromagnetic Energy to Drive Small Electronic Devices

Originally posted by john_bmth
Not as expensive as the silver nanoparticles they used to print them.

Anyway, this technology simply isn't scalable, I don't know why people are getting so hyped about it.
Are you sure it's not scalable? We're doing massively parallel computing so why not massively parallel sheets of paper with antennas printed on them?

I figure with 25 million of these printed antennas, I might be able to power a 25 watt light bulb,

At an estimated cost of a dollar a page (I just made that up but seeing as it's got silver in the ink and Kinkos charges half a dollar a page for color copies it may be a little on the low side), I can print the antennas for $25 million. Then I just need a few more million dollars worth of wires and Chinese labor to hook everything up.

So for maybe 30 million dollars I can run my 25W light bulb for free? Now it's costing me about $21 a year to run that light bulb, so in about 1.5 million years, I'll have not only recouped my investment, but it should be free from that point forward. For a billion dollars I could possibly power my whole house.

But I see some downsides. I didn't even factor in maintenance costs. But the bigger problem is, I have enough clutter in my house already without a billion pieces of paper with antennas all over the place. And in 1.5 million years by the time it's paid for itself, there might be better technology available, hopefully a lot sooner. Oh, and I forgot to mention that 5% interest on a $30 million loan is roughly $1,500,000 a year.

Joking aside though, keep in mind the size of the antenna those researchers are using. You can only fold it up so much before it becomes ineffective. You might get a milliwatt or two if you wore a vest with an antenna built into it, but that's not enough to power your cell phone. And it seems to me like the more you miniaturize it, to some degree, the less power you'll get from it. So that will limit the usefulness. Still, it may have some applications, but it's not really that exciting because we've known about this possibility for the better part of a century, and there are reasons we're not already using it.
edit on 14-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

This was posted about 5 days ago from a different source, but it's the same thing:

Power from the Air: Device Captures Ambient Electromagnetic Energy to Drive Small Electronic Devices

Yep, thats the same thing.
ok, credit where credit is due...hit that source folks

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

With all that paper it would only take a thousand hectares of Amazonian rainforest to charge your phone. That's pretty good value for money!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Researchers hope that when it’s combined with advanced capacitor technology, the device could provide up to 50 milliwatts.

1000mw = 1 watt

so, to power a 100 watt light bulb, with the advanced cap tech allowing 50m per page, it appears 1200 pages would do the trick (I wonder if you could print multiple per page)
ok, so, 1 big pack of printer paper = one infinate lasting bright light

It will be interesting to see how well this progresses in the coming years..

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by Arbitrageur

With all that paper it would only take a thousand hectares of Amazonian rainforest to charge your phone. That's pretty good value for money!

Its not like the rain forest is doing anything!
Lets get to the choppin

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Its not like the rain forest is doing anything!
Lets get to the choppin

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
What else do you think has been powering all of our DNA mutations all these years? Bad luck?

Nope, it's EM energy. Slowly, surely, quietly. Shhhh......

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Right, I agree.

First how ever it may be important to figure out what kind of smart ink/s they are utilizing. Is it conductive, how does it capture the signal if it is not conductive?

The general properties I feel may be the hard part to learn about, as is the specific printer type. Is is a special printer or will any HP, Epson or etc work?

Very sweet concept none the less.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

In another ten years we will be posting about the next new thing to come out and no one will have used anything but gas. NONE of any new tech that can change the structure will come to our hands. When I say our, I mean anyone reading this. I wish it weren't true but i've seen some amazing, world-changing things come up, only to never see them again.

unless you can make it yourself

edit on 14-7-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: so i dont sound so negative, not my intention

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am not sure if this has been stated in the previous posts but a inventor/researcher/scientist by the name of John Ernst Worrell Keely claimed to have discovered this in the late 1800's. This guy has a pretty amazing history and it is worth looking into.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Researchers hope that when it’s combined with advanced capacitor technology, the device could provide up to 50 milliwatts.

Not continuously. What they're talking about is stashing up a couple of microwatts here and there until you've got a few seconds of runtime at 50mW. If you look at the apps they're talking about, it's stuff where you can power up, do a few seconds of sensor logging, send out a burst and power off again. Not some magic beanstalk capacitor that turns a microwatt or two into milliwatts of continuous power.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
What else do you think has been powering all of our DNA mutations all these years? Bad luck?

Nope, it's EM energy. Slowly, surely, quietly. Shhhh......

Yes, actually, a lot of DNA mutations are caused by EM - ultraviolet light from the sun for example. That causes all sorts of problems in your skin.

BTW, you might take a fast perusal at all the mechanisms your body has evolved to find, excise and repair DNA damage. It's amazing, and yet it has been present for billions of years. Apparently radio stations travel back in time, or else why would your body need so many differing repair kits for it, dating from a time when we were voles and little mice?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by twentyfourcharacterslong
I am not sure if this has been stated in the previous posts but a inventor/researcher/scientist by the name of John Ernst Worrell Keely claimed to have discovered this in the late 1800's. This guy has a pretty amazing history and it is worth looking into.

Not so much. Keely was all about magic sound waves. At least until they took his lab apart and found all the hogwash devices hidden in the walls and basement to make the fraud work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join