It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printable antenna harvest ambient energy. Tesla quirks an eyebrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

A new ultra-wideband antenna printed on paper or plastic can harvest ambient energy, enabling wireless sensors to tap into electromagnetic currents in the air around them. The device captures energy from a wide spectrum of frequencies, converts it to direct current, and stores it in capacitors or batteries.

PopSci Source

Imagine the possibilities this is going to lead to...Something similar was dreamed up by tesla. This is certainly smaller scale, but its about bloody time!.

Researchers at Georgia Tech scavenged sufficient microwatts to power a temperature sensor, using the ambient energy produced by a television station signal that was a third of a mile away.

Now, this is just a starting field, imagine what 10 or so years of refinement will produce...I guess soon our wallpaper will be also our power source.

Fantastic breakthrough.
edit on 14-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: URL Denerfed

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Holy moly! That's crazy stuff! I wonder if it could be used in reverse... if a printable antenna could transmit as well? Could the Anarchist's Cookbook that I just purchased (hypothetically) come with a printable antenna powering a micro camera and microphone hidden in the cover? And then transmit all the information it's gathering as I lend it out to my friends? And then we all get arrested as terrorists?
I really wish that my first thoughts were how this could solve problems instead of create even more...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeyBones[/i
I really wish that my first thoughts were how this could solve problems instead of create even more...

Off the grid energy for free...
that is a problem for you?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It wouldn't be a problem if that is what is indeed how the technology would be used. But just like many technological advances, they are used for killing before helping. I'd doubt that the 1 milliwatt of electricity created could solve our energy problems (granted it is on the right path), but can easily imagine how it could be used against us. Do you not see this as a possibility too or is it just my paranoia taking charge again?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Crystal radios have been doing that for years.

They convert the energy from the transmitter into sound for the microphone. The energy from a TV station isn't free though. The energy is tapped off the grid, then sent out the antenna as a radio signal.

I wonder how much energy our bodies are "converting" from all of the ambient transmissions (cell phones, military transmissions, radar and all of the commercial TV and radio stations) out there?
edit on 14-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeyBones

It wouldn't be a problem if that is what is indeed how the technology would be used. But just like many technological advances, they are used for killing before helping. I'd doubt that the 1 milliwatt of electricity created could solve our energy problems (granted it is on the right path), but can easily imagine how it could be used against us. Do you not see this as a possibility too or is it just my paranoia taking charge again?

Well fine, if you require a scary conspiracy to everything, then here...part of the article:

They could be used to power RFID tags in anything from food to lumber; sniff for explosives or other chemicals at airports and other secure facilities; and even stress sensors on bridges and other

So there it is...they now have a way to power chips indefinately...no battery life concerns, the tabs on you will be forever

Happy yet?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeyBones
Holy moly! That's crazy stuff! I wonder if it could be used in reverse... if a printable antenna could transmit as well?

Lots of antennas are printed. If it's low power and high frequency, it's easier to do than to use wires.

You can also "print" power transformers.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

It's "free", but there's not much of it. A nice solar cell is a better deal.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

So there it is...they now have a way to power chips indefinately...no battery life concerns, the tabs on you will be forever

Happy yet?

Most RFID powers itself from the interrogator anyway. What they're talking about is stuff that has some sort of processing or data collection to it as opposed to simply "here's my serial number". OTOH, you could get a lot more power with a solar cell, so the usefulness of this is limited.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy
I wonder how much energy our bodies are "converting" from all of the ambient transmissions (cell phones, military transmissions, radar and all of the commercial TV and radio stations) out there?

I've been saying that for years... maybe different words, but the same idea. I think it's amazing that people don't think that all the energy being transmitted constantly throughout our airways is affecting us. And I think it's most likely affecting us in a negative way...

Happy yet?

Haha... Oh, I really do wish you could solve my problems that easily and make me happy! (I think I could twist almost anything into a negative perspective... something me and my counselor need to address!!) But I might sleep a little better tonight (probably not, but...)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It is a very intriguing concept. If any one is interested in participating in a research project, which delves into the possibilities of this emerging technology. Please read over the topped threads of our ATS Research Forum and u2u me.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Solar cells are broody expensive
I think I can print off 500 antenna's and connect em up for a fraction of the cost and sit em somewhere stacked up and generating a lil energy each...combined we are talking significant energy

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
It is a very intriguing concept. If any one is interested in participating in a research project, which delves into the possibilities of this emerging technology. Please read over the topped threads of our ATS Research Forum and u2u me.

I think first off, we will need the procedure to create one of these devices, then of course see if they work equally as well stacked together and working in sync...I imagine if that is a go, then printing off a few thousand sheets of antenna and connecting em to your house to power the house will be the norm...however, this is striking me as a bit too easy...
aka, reality cannot be that easy, I am obviously missing something that makes that not possible, but, would be interesting to see what the results were...

but ya...step 1 is getting the info to create one (or if it really is as simple as just a printed sheet of paper, then the image file to start printing and testing
)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeyBones

And I think it's most likely affecting us in a negative way...
Most definitely. A radar beam from a high power set will drop birds dead in mid-flight.

I would bet that there are increased cancer rates from all of the radio transmissions that our bodies intercept.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by MikeyBones

And I think it's most likely affecting us in a negative way...
Most definitely. A radar beam from a high power set will drop birds dead in mid-flight.

I would bet that there are increased cancer rates from all of the radio transmissions that our bodies intercept.

See, now that could end up sparking off tons of different conspiracy theories...
Anything from inducing illness, to perhaps even mind control and body chemistry alterations.

Endless wavelengths hitting the body over the last X amount of years at a quantum level resync'ing our very body...perhaps low level frequencys bombarding our brains and interrupting our natural signals, dumbing us down bit bit bit over time, making us become lethargic due to the overcompensation the body must do to send signals around the body...concentration becomes limited, and even spiritualists may find "connecting" to some different realm to be far more difficult with the energy fields being messed with

Then we can go into the concept of it being intentional by (who else but the reptilian overlords not wanting the slaves to ascend
).

All good considerations...wildly off topic, but it sort of just jumped into my mind after reading that.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think I can print off 500 antenna's and connect em up for a fraction of the cost and sit em somewhere stacked up and generating a lil energy each...combined we are talking significant energy

A microwatt here, a microwatt there, pretty soon, with 1000 or so, you might get a milliwatt. Woohoo!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Not as expensive as the silver nanoparticles they used to print them.

Anyway, this technology simply isn't scalable, I don't know why people are getting so hyped about it. This isn't (minute quantities of) electricity from nothing, it's harvested from the various man-made transmitters running off, yup, standard electricity from standard sources. As far as transmission of power goes, it's a pretty darn inefficient means to do so.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
well, I for one, I'm hyped with every new accomplishment of my fellow scientists/engineers.
It doesn't need to be GROUNDBREAKING to be extremely cool. And, yes, extremely cool stuff makes geeks happy

Have a nice day.
Drakus

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
Anyway, this technology simply isn't scalable,

Not sure why you say that, I read through the article, and the source. They don't say it isn't scalable...actually, they seem to be rapidly improving capturing and efficiency...

is it scalable? I would say its unknown at this point considering the article doesn't say one way or the other.

Silver nanoparticles or other nanoparticles...and actually, silver isn't really that expensive..melt down a ounce of silver and you can coat several full pages thinly (nanometer wise, you could probably do hundreds). compare that to the cost of a solar panel and its night/day.

I do agree that solar cell tech is fantastic, but its prohibitively expensive at the moment..this may, with some advancements, be a good cheap alternative accessable to everyone verses only the wealthy.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Problem is, it's essentially scavenging ambient energy from natural and man-made sources, of which there is only a minuscule amount. Aside from charging personal devices, it's really not feasible in any serious scale. It's neat, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to solve the world's energy problems.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join