It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota Sets Precedent for Obama to Cave to GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Gov. Dayton Agrees to Republican Budget to End Minnesota Shutdown Special session could be called within three days

ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter Thursday to House Speaker Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, saying he "reluctantly" agrees to accept the Republican budget proposal from June 30 if it will end the government shutdown.

"Despite my serious reservations about your plan, I have concluded that continuing the state government shutdown would be even more destructive for too many Minnesotans,” Dayton wrote in the letter. “Therefore, I am willing to agree to something I do not agree with – your proposal – in order to spare our citizens and our state from further damage."

Source: MyFox9

Look guys, I've lived in MN - it's known to be one of the biggest welfare states with outrageous taxes. Property taxes are more than 8 times higher than what I pay right now in Alabama.

GOP isn't perfect - but the precedent is set for Obama to cave. If you followed this story at all, you'd see almost a carbon copy of what is happening in Washington right now.

The Governor essentially said "Don't call my bluff"... they did, and he folded.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by gncnew

The Governor essentially said "Don't call my bluff"... they did, and he folded.

Well, let's get on with it then - before they tank the stock market yet again ...

2nd (if needed)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Better for Obama to cave to the GOP, than the GOP to throw their constituents under the bus.

Does anyone remember the 2010 elections?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Too bad the GOP already caved to Obama on the government shutdown though.

Huge victory for Obama and the dems.

www.cnbc.com...
edit on 14-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The issue here in Minnesota is that the GOP was completely refusing to compromise. Dayton originally wanted to raise revenue by taxing the richest 4% of Minnesotans and the GOP refused. Dayton tried to compromise by lowering that to the top 2% and eventually the top 1%, but the GOP still refused. Dayton was standing his ground because the GOP's plan, among other things, would have laid off 15% of the state workforce.

I'm not happy with the outcome, but I can see why it needed to be done. Single parents have been out of work, small businesses were taking a hit and even more were facing trouble because of MillerCoors having to pull products, nobody could get licenses for anything, etc. The deal's not great, but if it ends the shutdown, it's probably worth it.

It's all a byproduct of this flawed two-party system and the same thing, as the OP mentioned, can be seen happening on the federal level as well.

top topics

join