It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rupert Murdoch Refuses to Go Before Parliament!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Reuters Rupert Murdoch on Thursday refused a demand from parliament to answer questions over alleged crimes at one of his newspapers, leaving a senior executive from his media empire to face lawmakers keen to break the media mogul's grip on politics. Police arrested a ninth suspect, named by media as a senior former editor of Murdoch's News of the World, adding weight to a government call for the media regulator to decide whether his business is fit to run British television stations.

This is big. If you refuse to go before Parliament when you are demanded to then you are above the law. This just goes to show how money really is power. These corrupt corporate tycoons need to be punished. Reuters

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I know what your saying and I understand where the British parliament are coming from but, I think the CEO of the media company is the one who legally has to "face the music".

When you are in charge of a corporate entity (as a CEO), you are responsible of ensuring that the corporation is operating within the guidelines stipulated by "corporate law". Even if Murdoch ordered wiretaps or phone hacks personally, the CEO is held accountable as it is his/her job to ensure that the corporation operates legally.

edit on 14/7/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
He's an American citizen so he's not reqiured to go by law. But he is looking guilty has heck for not going, either that or he's just a big puss.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hes a scumbag.

Freeze all his assets, re-possess his homes etc...he,ll soon agree then.

Pfft

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

He's not legally obligated to go before Parliament without a summons, however by not showing up now just makes him look even more guilty. For his arogance, he will pay a hefty price and his media empire could be run out of Great Britain all together.

One thing is for sure, the Police will protect their own.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and Murdoch's empire should be thoroughly investigated and audited; instead the old fart will be protected by the American politicians.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

I don't know if his situation has changed but he used to have dual citizenship, Australia and the USA. From memory, he had to have both to operate his media interests in both countries.
edit on 14/7/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

GHe still does have dual citizenship between Australia (born here) and USA but his eldest son has dual citizenship between the UK and USA.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

If it was anyone else who did such a thing

The Swat team would break in their door and Detain them and kill their dog(s).

If its Rupert Murdoch he'll be having a beer with them behind closed Doors because the Politicians

And this Scum bag are all in the same boat together.

Money= Freedom

These Days. That is becoming more apparent every passing day.

When does the Revolution Start.

The Sooner the Better

Lets Collapse this House of Cards and Restore Liberty Freedom

End the Illegal Wars

Seek justice for all the War Criminals Crimes on humanity.

THEY ARE NOT EXEMPT FROM THE LAW.

edit on 14-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes. The wall of immunity with which they have surrounded themselves needs to be torn down and all of them held accountable for their crimes.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I hope they get him and lock him up. If we can start making these people answerable to justice then we can go after a lot of others, if Rupert Murdoch can go down, who else can we get?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well now there are reports weither true or not, stating he will attend the Committee meeting next week. He might turn up with an army or lawyers, or refuse to answer the committee's questions. This is untested law, does the committee have the power to find him in contempt if he refuses to answer any questions. Where if he attended a summons by a UK Court of Law, headed by a judge,he could be compelled or forced to give information or be charged with contempt.

One thing is for sure, after this is all finished. There will not be such a thing as free press in the UK. There will be regulations of Press, TV and Internet that is for sure.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I want brookes charged, after all she, was in charged of the paper at the time when these phone hacking occured. She should be charged for misleading the committee in the first place and for knowing of bribing police with money to leak out information, with regards to murder cases etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It'll be interesting to see just how far the British Government is willing to go with all this.
I read an article yesterday that mentioned the panic amongst a few Hedge Fund mangers who likely stand to lose heavily if the BSkyB sale doesn't go through. My heart bleeds!
Trouble is though, given their leverage and the bailout culture that prevails at the moment, will we see them getting help from the government to get their money back or the sale still go through, despite the criminal exposure?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I hope this whole situation will be a turning point. As a nation we don't have to tolerate Murdock we simply boycott buying his papers which will destroy his business. In fact the sooner we do this the better. If he does get the BskyB that's the day I stop using my tv simple as that.

The other thing we need to do is to stop this dual passport gimmick that allows people like Murdock and his ilk to swing around countries. I expect it helps tax avoidance which is an area that the UK and USA's governments need to get to grips with - we tax the people but the corporations and their moguls we forget about - you must be joking! When you allow people dual passports if they suddenly decide to do a runner for some reason with the extra passport they can get away with it. One passport is safer especially for 'some' people.

It doesn't matter if Murdock attends Parliament or not because he and his sons are hands on so its not plausible they would not have sanctioned the dirty tricks employed by his staff. Rebekah Wade must know her integrity is totally destroyed.

This has highlighted a totally unpalatable situation concerning first, our politicians who were obviously utterly scared of Murdock, We as a nation need to have some personal explaination, especially from cameron and his colleagues about how compromised they were here and what over. Vince Cable was absolutely right in his attitude towards Murdock - Go Vince your'e a hero you have shown more political judgement and discernment than the entire British cabinet. Our police need to be given a total overhaul of their procedures and a new rule book. They clearly do exactly as they like, prosecuting the public and taking bribes themselves - great example. Their little earner of selling our personal information needs to be stopped also.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You don't think this was all a smoke screen hatched up as a diversion from whats going on in Mexico with Operation Castaway? And Obama's birth certificate is now back on the table........

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
At this point, I think we have to assume that many in the Government are compromised to some degree by the Murdoch empire and it's hacking / surveilance operations. As such, can we expect Murdoch or his immediate family / higher management to get the grilling they deserve?
I'd rather see an independent body set up to look into this rather than have people so close to the affair, who may themselves have been a target of Murdochs dirty surveillance operation and are thus compromised, perform any interviewing. Last thing we need is another Iraq Enquiry type dog and pony show that has no bite and no power to arrest or convict perjurors and liars.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Shouldn't someone drone bomb his home
maybe kill a couple kids, maybe kill some of his goats...
Seems derigure for the rest of the world...
and they usually aren't even guilty...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here's the latest in the scandal......

Rebekah Brooks just resigned and a Kiwi has just taken over her position:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Rupert Murdoch and his son are testifying right now in front of committee. He is very combative with the person asking the questions and his son keeps trying to interject himself.

new topics

top topics

join