It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Lost” Amphibian Stages Amazing Reappearing Act in Borneo after Eluding Scientists for 87 years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

July 14, 2011

Herpetologists celebrate incredible rediscovery of one of the world's Top 10 “most wanted” lost amphibians in Malaysian Borneo; First-ever photos reveal long-legged Borneo Rainbow Toad

(Borneo, Malaysia / Arlington, VA, U.S.)

One of the world’s most elusive amphibians has made a surprising reappearance recently in Malaysia’s Sarawak State, providing science with its first-ever photographs of the Endangered spindly-legged species and new hope for the region’s biodiversity. Inspired by Conservation International’s (CI) Global Search for Lost Amphibians, scientists with support from Universiti Malaysia Sarawak found three individuals of the missing toad, up a tree during a night time search after months of scouring remote forests.

www.conservation.org...

----------------------------------------

Thats a awesome looking toad
. Its incredible how bright the colors are. Hard to miss when the colors are just screaming 'here I am'.

I only can imagine the kind of discoveries of animals, amphibians, and other types of life that will be discovered in the future.

There's even a top 10 Lost Amphibians Lost list. Here are just a few.

• Golden toad (Incilius periglenes) Costa Rica - last seen in 1989
• Gastric brooding frog (Rheobatrachus vitellinus and R. silus) Australia - last seen in 1985
• Mesopotamia Beaked Toad (Rhinella rostrata) Colombia - last seen in 1914
• Jackson's climbing salamander (Bolitoglossa jacksoni) Guatemala - last seen in 1975

Enjoy

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Beautiful creature.

Hooray for its comeback.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Best Hide and Seek player ever! LOL
It really is a beautiful toad.
Really makes you wonder how many other species are out there, missing or just unknown.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Wow, that sure is one pretty toad! I wonder what prompted the emergence of the longer front legs during its evolution?

On another note, I read somewhere awhile back that we should look to a decline in amphibians as a first warning that our polution is taking a major toll on our climate (Im not a believer in man made global warming). If this prediction based on the decline of amphibians is true, could the re-emergence of this lost species actually be good news two fold? One, the species is making a come back and two, if this species of amphibians is bouncing back, perhaps we are doing much better than with thought as far as pollution goes?? Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
this toad very well may have been "extinct" for a time. There are plenty of reports of frogs and toads going into hibernation for years and years. Some found encased in solid stone, and broken open by construction crews. very interesting.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Yeah.. that's weird. I have never read it anywhere, but my dad told me when I was like ten years old that when the frogs are gone we aren't far behind. I always wondered where he got that and it was a long time ago, before you could just search up info on the net.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

Yeah, I've read about that aswell. Some are even alive after the shell or whatnot is opened. But not for too long unfortunately. But amazing nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wonder what dimension you would go to if you licked it

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Haha, imagine that.

Lets just hope that we won't be lost as long as they were.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Wow what lovely animal although the ones in my pond are a bit more boring than this one
It would be rather hard to spot though with the numerous colours in the jungle coming from the rotting leaves and things.

new topics

top topics

join