It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama ‘Abruptly’ Walks From Meeting: Cantor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+57 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

President Barack Obama “abruptly” walked out of today’s White House meeting with legislative leaders on the federal deficit, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor told reporters. Cantor said he told Obama “we are far apart” on proposals to cut the deficit and raise the U.S. debt limit. The president “got very agitated” and said, “Don’t call my bluff; I am going to the American people,” said Cantor, a Virginia Republican. Obama “shoved back from the table” and left, Cantor said. “We’re so far apart and going back on the momentum,” Cantor said.

Source

This right here is why there is no headway in these meetings. It comes down to a "My way or the highway" attitude, and we all know that isn't how things get done. This kind of action from the leader of this country makes me sick. Being the president doesn't mean you can be the kid in the sandbox that decides he doesn't like to share so he takes all his toys and leaves in a fit.
My honest opinion here is that Obama wants there to be no compromise so this country can experience more change. I think he will balk at every compromise thrown at him, all the while putting forward no solid plan of his own.

+94 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

He has no idea he has lost the "people?"

In early 2009, that threat would have carried some weight, but not now! Let him plead his case to the people with his false fear-mongering, and toothless threats! The people are already suffering; we are already feeling the inevitable depression; we are already in the mud, we are eager to let the house of cards fall, and let the rebuilding begin!

Go ahead Mr. President. Let them call your bluff. Shut the whole dam thing down. Send the Fed employees home. Hold the checks of the soldiers and the seniors.

Lets get this show on the road!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I hope they stick to their decision and don't let the administration walk all over the American people. A lot of my family will be directly effected due to SS and food stamps but if we don't end it now it will be like Greece and just keep coming back for more. The Banksters have already shown how they operate. So it is time to derail their train. We have been through this bad and worse and some how we will pull out of this too if we don't fold now.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I can see why hes upset, if this doesn't go well he'll secure infamy in the history books. but he's definitely not handling himself well.

-more like a kid on the playground.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
such an attitude is expected from obama...he's like a little kid...I'm sure he's gonna go stomp around in his room and throw a temper tantrum until that coloring book on his bed looks appealing once again

+67 more 
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
This right here is why there is no headway in these meetings. It comes down to a "My way or the highway" attitude, and we all know that isn't how things get done. This kind of action from the leader of this country makes me sick. Being the president doesn't mean you can be the kid in the sandbox that decides he doesn't like to share so he takes all his toys and leaves in a fit.
My honest opinion here is that Obama wants there to be no compromise so this country can experience more change. I think he will balk at every compromise thrown at him, all the while putting forward no solid plan of his own.

You guys are too funny.

Debt Ceiling Talks Hit an Impasse as Eric Cantor Walks Out

Let me guess. It was noble, strong, and the right thing to do when the GOP took their ball and went home. It is just a loser move when Obama does it too.

+1 more 
link   
What a big baby. What kind of example is this?!

These are our leaders?! This is certainly not assuring and should be an example of just how out of control the problem is.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree 100%! This has been a long time coming, and frankly everyone is sick of the empty promises,.and constant threats.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have to agree with your initial comments. I am not going to say anything about anybody present in these meetings other than my personal view. There is no money left, the well is dry. Stop attempting to take what is not yours. At the very least at least someone is standing up to this vast over reach of power.

I did hear a commentary today on the theory that what is happening is that congress is following the lead of Trump. Don't back down and the guy will fall apart.

+33 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
What a big baby. What kind of example is this?!

One set by the GOP

Sunday, House Speaker John Boehner walked out of the debt ceiling talks and, echoing other Republicans, noted that the impasse involved the insistence by President Barack Obama and the Democrats to raise taxes.

I know, I know. Noble and all that crap when Boehner does it too I suppose.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

You guys are too funny.

Debt Ceiling Talks Hit an Impasse as Eric Cantor Walks Out

Let me guess. It was noble, strong, and the right thing to do when the GOP took their ball and went home. It is just a loser move when Obama does it too.

It is never a noble move to end talks by abruptly walking out on either of their part, but the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" also applies here. I have no love for Obama, but as the leader of this country he should be held to a higher standard.

edit on 7/13/2011 by SpaDe_ because: ...

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

all the while putting forward no solid plan of his own.

Oh, he has a plan alright. It started a long time ago.

His plan from the beginning was to start more wars, destroy America and send the World into Chaos.

Mission accomplished.

link   
The theater enters it's next act. It is all theater. If we do not do something ourselves, the ceiling will be raised. No real cuts will be made, and our children will be even more enslaved than we are.

+9 more 
link   
didn't cantor do the same thing 2 weeks ago ?

c'mon folks, don't just read a headline and over react

think

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

all the while putting forward no solid plan of his own.

Oh, he has a plan alright. It started a long time ago.

His plan from the beginning was to start more wars, destroy America and send the World into Chaos.

Mission accomplished.

Yes, if that is his plan he is almost there! Just a few more debacles, and some more wealth fleecing from the poor to give to the rich, and I think he can get a mission completed badge!

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

It is never a noble move to end talks by abruptly walking out on either of their part, but the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" also applies here. I have no love for Obama, but as the leader of this country he should be held to a higher standard.

edit on 7/13/2011 by SpaDe_ because: ...

Yet still no equal condemnation of the GOP fellers that did the exact same thing coming from you.
Hypocrites much?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Bloomberg perhaps conveniently forgot this part of the story when Obama was leaving the debt negotiations.

U.S. President Barack Obama told Republicans at the conclusion of a stormy budget meeting on Wednesday that he would not yield further even if it puts his presidency at risk, a Republican aide said.

"I have reached the point where I say enough," Obama said, according to the aide. "Would Ronald Reagan be sitting here? I've reached my limit. This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this."

Source

Could this be a bluff on his part? I doubt it, what he would really gain from saying that he does not care if it costs him his presidency. He knows that alone would not bring the Republicans closer to his side in the negotiations. For him this quite possibly could be very serious, something he believes in so much he would even risk his Presidency for it. At least we know he has officially made his position known on at least one issue; he will not subscribe to the cuts GOP Congressman is proposing.

Republicans had $4 trillion in cuts, cuts never before seen in modern American history, they threw that out the window because it closed loopholes and raised revenue. But Cantor and the Conservatives cannot really be worried about raising revenue as their main disapproval; they showed that yesterday by proposing raises revenue at the expense of college students through the student loan program.

I am sorry these people have alternate motives for what they are doing and it is not opposition to all rising of revenue, their allegiance is not with us it is without someone else. We already know Cantor would profit from a default due to his investments. 59 Republicans have already said they will not vote for any debt ceiling raise, period. So now it is time for the rational ones in this debate to throw the Conservatives under the bus here. They need to push McConnell’s proposal through the House and Senate with the support of the Democrats and Moderate Republicans.

+8 more 
link   
Come on out here to the American people Mr. Obama....we've got a few things we'd like to talk about.

+28 more 
link   
For those of you pointing out Cantor and Boehner's antics....I agree. Screw them all. This is cheap negotiation tactic. This is posturing and peacocking, and it has no place in a civil discussion with the huge ramifications and responsibilities that these elected officials are tasked with!

We would not allow this childish behavior in a debate on ATS, so it certainly should not be allowed at their level of debate.

All is well that ends well though, so let them bicker and fight. Let the cards fall where they may. In my opinion, inaction is better than anything they have done in the past. How about they all just go home and shut up. That would be a huge improvement over the failed policies that they have been responsible for the last 10 years!

Everyone is correct though. This isn't a partisan issue. Both parties are ridiculously inept.

+6 more 
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
didn't cantor do the same thing 2 weeks ago ?

c'mon folks, don't just read a headline and over react

think

The President does not get to act like everyone else. He is to set an example and he gave up the right to act like a child the day he took office.

edit on 13-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join