It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Satan truly evil?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ok,

So, this is nothing too serious, just a thought I had. I was watching Nick Cage's new movie, "Drive Angry", the other day, and very much enjoyed William Fichtner's character, "The Accountant". Mostly because he was kickass, fun and cool. Anyway, the Accountant (who, for those who haven't seen the movie, works for Mr Satan himself) said some interesting things during the movie, particularly this quote:

Satan is simply the warden of a very large prison. Quiet man actually, thoughtful and he's well read. And I happen to know the idea of sacrificing children in his honour annoys him greatly.

So, in short, assuming that the whole God and the Devil, Heaven and Hell thingie do exist - do y'all think it's possible that this would be true? That Satan isn't evil and corruption incarnate, but just a "man" (You know what I mean) doing his job?

Well, just a thought that was brought on by the movie. Discuss, bitte!

edit on 13-7-2011 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yes he is evil

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I always thought of Satan as a duality type persona. As in, my guardian angels are my enemies demons. On a different note, an old friend of mine always said, "If you ever meet Satan, he's gunna be wearing a suit.'

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

D evil.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by glexanice

That's a good thought, about the duality type persona. Which would lead us into the discussion of the whole nature of "Good" and "evil". We better not go there...

I like the idea of Satan in a suit. If I ever meet him, he better, and add to that he better be driving a classic American car and with an old school rock theme song following him wherever he goes, or I'm going to be really disappointed.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Satan, which is a concept to me, represents the dark side of humanity and the human urge to yield to our dark, and debased urges. Is the "concept" of Satan evil? Yes, I would say so. The visual appearance of Satan in literature usually takes place with people doing bad things, and giving into selfish greed and self interest.

I actually also just watched the movie It was comic bookish and over the top. As Hollywood is known to do, it played hard and fast with stereo types, and looked like it would appeal to a 15yr old boy audience.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Maybe he's just the ultimate rebel as he's rebeled against the ultimate authority and got labelled a "terrorist for his troubles
Good and evil are such relative terms but i must concur with other posters that he must represent evil as that's the role of an archetypal adversary to your typical god figure. It's all fiction, in my opinion, anyway but i'll go along with the assumption

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't believe in god or the devil... but for one second let's pretend. Who is more evil?

Satan - Ruler of the underworld.
God - Creator of cancer, AIDS, natural disasters, disease, drought, parasites, birth defects, and spiders.

Yeah, if they exist... I know who is more evil.
edit on 7/13/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Let's face it.

We haven't heard Satan's side of the story. God's books tell us Satan is evil. But of course it does. It's his book. And yet God goes on to do some horrible things in that book. Satan's big act was to torment Job, but only with God's permission.

I say we need to hear Satan's side to really know.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Go ask him... he lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.
edit on 7/13/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

link   
Some think that (Satan) is an alien from another planet....and that the way he has been written about are lies. I apologize ...but I don't remember where I read this...it was quite some time ago.

link   
reply to post by David_Reale

Anyone that is in the presence of Gods infinite love and grace and decides it isn't enough is pure evil. That is exactly why Satan is evil.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpedconsciousness
Anyone that is in the presence of Gods infinite love and grace and decides it isn't enough is pure evil.

This is my biggest problem with religion. "I love you, but if you don't love me back it's an eternity of fire and torture for you! But don't forget... I looove youuuu

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

That is because you are confused about the nature of god, and who god truly is.
You got god confused with Satan.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpedconsciousness
reply to post by David_Reale

Anyone that is in the presence of Gods infinite love and grace and decides it isn't enough is pure evil. That is exactly why Satan is evil.

if god is so loving don't you think he'd love satan just the way he is too?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Is Santa really jolly? Well, we've been told he is but he would have to be real for him to be jolly... Same goes for Satan and being evil.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Looks like their agenda is working, once a movie changes your opinion on satan something has gotta be up

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
Ok,

So, this is nothing too serious, just a thought I had. I was watching Nick Cage's new movie, "Drive Angry", the other day, and very much enjoyed William Fichtner's character, "The Accountant". Mostly because he was kickass, fun and cool. Anyway, the Accountant (who, for those who haven't seen the movie, works for Mr Satan himself) said some interesting things during the movie, particularly this quote:

Satan is simply the warden of a very large prison. Quiet man actually, thoughtful and he's well read. And I happen to know the idea of sacrificing children in his honour annoys him greatly.

So, in short, assuming that the whole God and the Devil, Heaven and Hell thingie do exist - do y'all think it's possible that this would be true? That Satan isn't evil and corruption incarnate, but just a "man" (You know what I mean) doing his job?

Well, just a thought that was brought on by the movie. Discuss, bitte!

First ask yourself what Evil is.. And if it is Real.

Then ask yourself who traditionally the Devil is supposed to be.

I think if you are saying Satan might just be a man than you need a new name for personified Evil. If you believe Evil is Real.

Call me traditional, but i think "Satan" works well when talking about ultimate Evil force/spirit. There are plenty of men, with names that are good and evil that are not the Satan.

edit on 13-7-2011 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Interestingly i just discovered on wiki that another name for Set was Setan so in all likely hood he's just been adopted by the early hebrew belief system and converted into a devil like character we read about in the bible.

Medieval depictions of Satan also often apear to bear considerable similarites with Pan so in my opinion one mans god is another mans devil(satan).

Personally i like the belief that he's merely a symbol for the evil within man, and we all know there's plenty of that. Lets deal with that before we start slandering mythical figures

edit on 13-7-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: added a line

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If the bible actually depicts god accurately (and I'm just saying, because I don't believe in god) then Satan is a freaking hero.

The tree of knowlege thingy is an interesting parabol. Organized religions message to human kind : "When you were all dumb, things were just swell ". Which kind of says something really.

If he exists, I'd roll with the guy who set us free from a terribly boring eternity consisting of chess games, no-booze parties and patting vegetarian lions. Where is the pleasure in patting a lion if it's vegetarian ? Satan knew that vegetarian lions sucked big time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join