It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican bill to ban energy-saving lightbulbs fades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Light Bulb Law Repeal Fails

A Republican campaign to defend America against a sweeping assault on personal freedoms – or energy-saving lightbulbs as they are more commonly known – went down in defeat on Tuesday night.

And who else supports this ridicules light Bulb Ban why the New York times does.

New York Times Pro Light Bulb Ban

They even went as far to claim that it in 2007 the law sparked innovation, which is completely a false lie to claim that. The CFLs are made from China, CFLs would take away millions of jobs for those who are working with on the classic traditional light bulb factories, they are going to loss out of jobs.

Whats more After bush singed the law, Canada, Europe, Cuba soon followed without opposition the consumers dont want the nanny governments telling the consumers what light bulbs we should be using.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Banning either is absurd.

Let the consumer decide for himself which bulb he will use.

Besides, strict enforcement of the EPA regulations regarding exposure, disposal and clean-up of the CFL's will in time become it's own burden. If it doesnt that only means people arent following the governments glorious rules regarding disposal and clean-up and our water is holding more and more mercury but that's okay. Our flipper babies will have a beautiful green world to flop around in.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Oh geeze - banning a light bulb doesn't make sense.

But, neither does requiring a certain type of light bulb to be used.

Let them all be available and the consumers will decide which one they want to use.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I've been replacing bulbs with CFL's and LED whenever they burn out and all of them are made in china.
Even the ones from American corporations like Philips. One type of bulb I've used in some furniture I've built is halogen lights, because they are small, cheaper than LED and have a better color quality (and can be dimmed).

Incidecent lights are being phased out by consumers anyways, there really is no need for the Government to get involved.. but .. some people like having their hand held during times of change.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The CFLs are made from China, CFLs would take away millions of jobs for those who are working with on the classic traditional light bulb factories, they are going to loss out of jobs.

It's not millions. A few hundred at best. You forget that the factories are fully automated. The majority of workers are those that move the finished boxes to the warehouse.

As to the government sticking it's nose into the equation.
If the government didn't set tougher standards the majority of the population would not change. Instead they would gripe about the rise in their utility bills. They would gripe about needing a new power plant in their backyard. But they would change their habits.
They should not have backed off the cafe standards of the autos back in the 90's either. Now look at the price we are paying.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Philips sure has a good LED bulb.
Lumens 820
Watts 12.5
--------------
I saw one at Home Depot. Says on the front it will last 22 years!!!
It costs $40.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Incidecent lights are being phased out by consumers anyways, there really is no need for the Government to get involved..

No you arent correct on that Incidecent lights are being phased out by the Government not the consumers, in fact where i am i saw alot of people buying the Incidecent lights to this day no one here atleast havent been buying CFLs lights.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
CFLs are more expensive. Why is every time there is a change it is always more expensive? I like the incadescent light bulbs and I have been stocking up on them. I am not sure how many I need to have a lifetime supply of lightbubls so far I have 30 incadescents I refuse to buy the CFLs.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I hate those bulbs....the light from them is gloomy and gives me a headache. I've had a hard time finding incadecent bulbs in my area for a while now.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
the MSM has done a good job at giving you the spin, there is no so called ban read this mediamatters.org... from the link

In fact, the bill, signed by President Bush, only sets standards for light bulbs and does not ban all incandescent bulbs, only inefficient ones.
did that put some light on this? If you do need a bulb check this out, if you want to stock up, the place you by them from has none, or just to see a light, here you go www.1000bulbs.com...
edit on 1-9-2011 by bekod because: added link

top topics

join