It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch McConnel: Elections haven't worked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That's right, Mitch is telling us that since we the people aren't giving him the results he likes, it's time to force his ideals of how government should be run though constitutional amendment.

Speaking on the Senate floor this morning, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) offered what may be the most concise summary of conservative constitutionalism ever spoken — America must rewrite the Constitution to force conservative outcomes because we the people consistently elect lawmakers who disagree with McConnell:

"The time has come for a balanced budget amendment that forces Washington to balance its books. If these debt negotiations have convinced us of anything, it’s that we can’t leave it to politicians in Washington to make the difficult decisions that they need to get our fiscal house in order. The balanced budget amendment will do that for them. Now is the moment. No more games. No more gimmicks. The Constitution must be amended to keep the government in check. We’ve tried persuasion. We’ve tried negotiations. We’re tried elections. Nothing has worked."

Source

The irony is that he is a core figure in stalling hte negotiations, and is a member of the primary cause for the nation's fiscal problems. Problem is, of course, that the people have a vote on constitutional amendments, via state-by-state ratifications.

What do you suppose he'll call for when the people, once again, speak with their votes in a way that Mitch McConnel and the Republicans dislike?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Good afternoon my old buddy "walkingfox". I hope all is well with you.

What is up with "Mitch"? Yesterday he wanted to give away congress' constitutional duties to control the purse strings to the president and today he says voting doesnt work?

I think voting does work, the problem is the folks getting voted in have no spine.

I do support a balanced budget amendment, but I don't think I would start that argument with a statement that voting does not work. He sounds like Obama from the the other day saying that the politicians know better about the debt than the voting public. Is it Mitch Obama and Barak McConnel?

It like a science project gone bad.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I tend to not trust any attempt at amending the Constitution. What does a balanced budget have to do with the US Constitution anyway? Equal rights, voting rights, limiting presidential terms, etc… are understandable things to put in the Constitution but just like the Prohibition of alcohol it just does not make sense to make this proposed amendment law.

Sure it would be nice to guarantee that the budget is always balanced, that would be great for the economy overall. But one Congress does not have the right to dictate what the future Congresses can or cannot spend.

Sorry I want my politician to be held accountable for their voting on budgets, they need to prove to me that they are fiscally responsible. This is the second time Mitch McConnell in two days has tried to remove responsibility of debt from the Congress.
edit on 7/13/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

edit on 7/13/2011 by Misoir because: Double post

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There should be a constitutional requirement to have a balanced bugdet. Otherwise America is screwed.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is some scary stuff right here. Got to wonder what McConnel has in mind if he feels elections don't work.

Let's not let this thread sink into the depths of obscurity here people...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I agree with Mitch. Let's redo the election process, starting immediately with term limits for all elected officials.
edit on 13-7-2011 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

I like Buffet's idea on how to fix it.

"I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there's a deficit of more than three percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I for once agree with him whole heartedly. Voting doesn't work he is a living example. Whoever allegedly voted for him had to have had a lapse and their brain wasn't working either. He needs to be declared senile and gotten out of office. He has been a problem since he was first elected now he beyond a problem he has become a threat. To put it in hilly billy the man is just eat up in the head.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This guy shouldn't be trusted

Here's Ron Paul's opinion on him
gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We had a surplus the we got Bush (R) - twice
edit on 13-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
More of the dictatorial policies of the entire GOP, Baggers comes to light, Anyone now for this ragtag group of psychotic douchewads are now Anti American as we elect our leaders and care not how they lean politically.

Elections is a cornerstone of our democracy and shall not ever be infringed.

More of the truth comes out!
edit on 13-7-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

America's already screwed.

Be that as it may, however, there is no need for a constitutional amendment mandating a "balanced budget" - balanced by whose criteria, the GOP's? With what provisions in case of need? And remember this is coming from a man who neglects or ignores all constitutional amendments which don't suit him, anyway.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This was done to try and "save face" after the lashing he took from tea party Republicans yesterday for proposing that Obama be able to increase the debt limit.

They went after him, even though he's stated in the past that it would be raised because he knows the consequences of it not being done.

And btw... i can't stand him. McConnell is a corporate Republican and takes their orders and follows them.

Also drives me nuts that his mouth barely moves when he talks...is that baby wired shut?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Mitch McConnell should be tried for Treason, he is another one who has walked all over the Constitution. These fools seem to think they know whats best for us but yet they have Piled This Country In Debt, they have ruined the Social Security System, they also have us involved in how many wars now? This list just goes on and on. As far as elections are concerned I wonder just how many of them have been rigged.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

WOW. That is a great idea! With all of the career poli's, that would take care of it in about 5 minutes. Star for you friend.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It is huh? I read that and was like, "that actually makes decent sort of sense!". Of course, it will never, ever happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
More of the dictatorial policies of the entire GOP, Baggers comes to light, Anyone now for this ragtag group of psychotic douchewads are now Anti American as we elect our leaders and care not how they lean politically.

Slow down, buddy. Don't lump him in with the rest of them. This idea is not a GOP idea, it's the fevered imagination of the clinically insane. The GOP doesn't accept McConnel en masse. Some may, but a lot of them think he's just as much a fruitcake as Reid.

I know I do. And this article proves it. He's a totalitarian in GOP clothing. What a moron.

/TOA
edit on 14-7-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think he means the diebold programs didn't work

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Slow down, buddy. Don't lump him in with the rest of them. This idea is not a GOP idea, it's the fevered imagination of the clinically insane. The GOP doesn't accept McConnel en masse. Some may, but a lot of them think he's just as much a fruitcake as Reid.

I know I do. And this article proves it. He's a totalitarian in GOP clothing. What a moron.

/TOA
edit on 14-7-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

Glad to see we agree on yet, the what? like 4th item in under a month. The problem with idiots like McDumbarse is the fact that no one in the party is daring to call him out or to challenge him and has pretty well lied down for this ragtag moronical societal rejects.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join