It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

360 Degree View Inside Space Shuttle Discovery's Flight Deck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Anyone ever wonder what it's like to be a pilot on the Space Shuttle Discovery???

Well, now you can...just check out this 360 degree view inside the Discovery’s flight deck during its decommissioning in the Orbiter Processing Facility. ! It looks pretty sweet but with all those funky buttons everyone, not sure if I'd be up for playing around in the cockpit.

360vr.com...

What's also cool about it is that you can also zoom in and zoom out. So all the details are clearly visible
And apparently they use Dell laptops

Original Article: www.gizmodo.com.au...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i am frankly disapointed kind of low-tech looks like something from space1999 where are the cool 3d hologram monitors and the touch screen panels. no wonder the shuttles are being retired. if this is the best we have we definitely need an upgrade not even leather seats how much do one of these relics cost ?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I always assumed that the goal in the cockpit design is to reduce the number of switches and meters. A solution should be a screen with several menu's and such.....but this is rediculous....

Interseting view nevertheless S&F

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Our new space shuttle will be mind blowing. So who ever isn't impressed do not even worry this new thing can take us to mars within 5 months instead of 5 years. Space travel is becoming more and more easier for us.
I believe it has a magnetic device attached to it that connects to a pad here on earth that has an unlimited charge. Like a controlled negative to a positive, they will start these test launches in 2014.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
For something that cost so much money over the years, the seats sure look lousey.

Even a pair of old car seats would be more comfortable.

Would be very rough during take off.

I suppose it is easier in the event of a crash to clean off a flat surface than to get the stains off the cloth trim.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I always assumed that the goal in the cockpit design is to reduce the number of switches and meters. A solution should be a screen with several menu's and such.....but this is rediculous....

Interseting view nevertheless S&F

I am pretty sure you are right and the majority of the controls in the cockpit are controlled from Earth at NASA. The remainder of switches are routine as well as manual override. That said, each switch would be lit up which need to be used as per careful instruction at the launch base. Otherwise, the astronauts would be too consumed in focusing on the task at hand navigation of the aircraft landing

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
I am pretty sure you are right and the majority of the controls in the cockpit are controlled from Earth at NASA. The remainder of switches are routine as well as manual override.
Really? I didn't know that!

Cool site, thanks for sharing it!

Perhaps consistent with what you just said, I was amazed at how small the front window looks. I suppose the really don't need it or use it for much and most of the flying is done by instrumentation anyway. But I expected the front window to look slightly larger. Ir maybe it is and the 360 distortion is just making it look small?

Also I think cockpit design concepts have advanced quite a but since the shuttle was first designed. If it was designed from scratch today it would probably look very different and may very well have a lot less switches. But you make a good point about manual override, you really need a switch for that.

top topics

join