It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AIDS pill can stop heterosexual infection, studies show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

LONDON — AIDS drugs designed to treat HIV can also be used to reduce dramatically the risk of infection among heterosexual couples, two studies conducted in Africa showed for the first time Wednesday.

The findings add to growing evidence that the type of medicines prescribed since the mid-1990s to treat people who are already sick may also hold the key to slowing or even halting the spread of the sexually transmitted disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I assume you are just trolling or being sarcastic with your mental illness quip.
Either way, I presume it decreases it in hetero couples because it decreases the viral load in semen and vaginal secretion. It likely decreases the risk in homosexual females as well as hetero's. In homosexual males the risk would remain high because of the blood factor.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

www.msnbc.msn.com

LONDON — AIDS drugs designed to treat HIV can also be used to reduce dramatically the risk of infection among heterosexual couples, two studies conducted in Africa showed for the first time Wednesday.

The findings add to growing evidence that the type of medicines prescribed since the mid-1990s to treat people who are already sick may also hold the key to slowing or even halting the spread of the sexually transmitted disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

What?

Isn't transmission just transmission?

Doesn't make medical sense to me and the topic looks like an Onion article.

How does a drug know the difference between gay sex and hetro sex?

lmao.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I assume you are just trolling or being sarcastic with your mental illness quip.
Either way, I presume it decreases it in hetero couples because it decreases the viral load in semen and vaginal secretion. It likely decreases the risk in homosexual females as well as hetero's. In homosexual males the risk would remain high because of the blood factor.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I'm pretty sure he's religious, so no he's not being sarcastic. Personally I think it would be even better news if it was more protection for anyone regardless of sexual orientation. I'll personally never understand the mentality of homosexuality but I think people should be free to make choices for themselves if not hurting others, and not be ruthlessly discriminated against.

Anyway, sounds like another great advancement.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There's no medical reason it would prevent infection via vaginal intercourse more readily than via anal intercourse. I think this is simply the consequence of the study being done on heterosexual couples (since, well, there's talk of the penalty in Uganda being state execution, so I doubt any gay Ugandans are coming out for the study. Thanks, christians!)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Of course there is.. anal intercourse would be more likely to include tearing so the chance for blood to blood contact is much higher.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Please Note

The title of this thread is "AIDS pill can stop heterosexual infection, studies show".

Please discuss this and not each other.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The article said that it was tested on heterosexual couples, and then mentioned that it was recommended for homosexuals, because they are at higher risk, so yeah, I think that the pill would work regardless of the type of sex involved, or they wouldn't have said the part about recommending it for gays.

new topics

top topics

join