It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make butter in a jar: fun kids project too

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I made BUTTER!!!! I had tired arms but I had butter in 20 minutes.

Thank you so much OP!!!

I am excited

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
We made the butter as well. I had my kids playing the game of kick the jar. The got bored after a while so I finished it, but they were anxious to taste it.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Why thank you. Amongst all of the huffing and Puffing on ATS your post was a real gem. I am going to try it for ME and then share it with my grandson. I am interested in cheese making as we have some wonderful artisans making cheese now.

best wishes

T

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
does it has to be cream, nothing else?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim.Hero

Cream for sure, maybe whole milk.

See also Wiki on butter, the mechanics are described in this article under "Production".

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Aww used to do this with the kids all the time.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I remember when I was from 5-7 years old, we made real butter with a butter churn. Took hours. It was painful to say the least. Nothing like just pumping a pole up and down all day (especially when it isn't much smaller than you). Talk about tired arms. Made lots of buttermilk and butter. I couldn't stand the stuff then. What's funny is I still remember the taste and I'd love to do it again. Had no idea you could do it this simply.

Hey Daddy, can you also do this trick from real cow's or goat's milk. Is it really this simple?

Love your helpful ideas too. Have printed many of them.

www.beaverbuckets.com...

peace

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Checked out your website and smiled when I saw the wooden washboards. When my gramma passed I got all her canning jars and her old washboard. The canning jars I have used but truthfully, I hope the day NEVER comes when I have to actually use it

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just wanted to say I am very grateful to those of your who tried it on your own... and reporting your efforts
I do hope you enjoyed the taste and learned a little something useful...

nothing feels so good as the sense of empowerment, being able to do for yourself...and that is something you earned... you should be proud of yourselves

Also: yeah, you can make butter with whole milk (Forget 2%) you're not gonna get much butter out of it...
because of it's fat content... the stuff that makes butter will always rise to the top so from a gallon jug of whole milk it's only the top inch or so that's useful in this endeavor

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Wow I did this as a kid, funny the things you pick up as a kid that can come back and be useful.

Might even do this again during the week.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more - home made butter on home made bread - nothing to beat it. Apart from topping it with home made strawberry jam.

I hadn't thought of adding cinnamon to butter and then adding to a hot toddy. That is something I'm definitely going to try this winter.

Thank you for the tip.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I cannot wait to try this! I am slowly gathering tips like this for my family for the "just in case we need to senario". Do you have any more jems like these?! Please post links, I may have missed them. I will post my results!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
DaddyBare, do you have any experience with making "cultured" butter? I use Kefir grains to culture whole milk and also cream to make my own sour cream. Its great stuff.

They sell cultured butter in the store and I prefer it to the regular. I am wondering if you would culture it before or after churning? What do you think? The cream I make is almost as thick as butter when its ready as it is. I can't imagine trying to shake that stuff.

thanks, wayno.

The point of culturing, besides flavor, is that it lasts longer, much like cheese, without adding salt.
edit on 7/19/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I should have said that I have been adding some of my recipes to ATS...
here's one where you can put your handmade butter to good use
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I still shake my milk before I pour.

Yup - I am 66 and my grandparents lived on a farm. Always had to shake the milk to mix in the left-over cream. As much as you spearated there was always a thin layer of cream on the top of the "jar" (not carton!) The habbit is still with me lol.

Thank you for a smile today! It if fun to remember "the good old days" and to bring back some of the ways to create the smells and flavors as well!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I made butter yesterday and it tasted great! I used the buttermilk to make biscuits and now my family thinks i'm a genius

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by i8miceb4
I made butter yesterday and it tasted great! I used the buttermilk to make biscuits and now my family thinks i'm a genius

Tasted great hell yes!!!! as for the genius part, you know I'm a fan of your fabulous grey matter

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have to remember to buy that heavy cream and try it out. Today, I aw a product that had garlic flavor in butter! So I'll add cloves of garlic to my grocery list. That stuff has got to be good for the bread!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I began making butter, as someone else said, in the food processor, back in the 80's. I put my kids on a diet of no sugar, no preservatives, no artificial sweeteners, and no chocolate. They are grown now, my son will be 26 this year, so for a long time.

Sometimes, I do buy butter when I will be using lot for recipes like pound cake or something where a lot is called for, but nothing like the homemade stuff! When I buy butter, I always buy Land O' Lakes.

Also, a good thing to do to help it stay fresher a bit longer is to transfer the butter to a container seated in an ice bath. A bowl of ice with some water will do. Just set the container with the butter in the ice for about 15 minutes or so.

After the butter firms up a little, using your hands, run it under cold water till the water runs clear. This washes the excess buttermilk out and gives the butter an even sweeter taste. Always washed my butter. It goes bad fairly quickly, so be sure to only make what you will use in a few days, unless you freeze it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Can't wait to make this, I've forgotten what fresh real butter tastes like. Here's a quick fridge idea for a SHTF scenario, just the right size to keep a little butter, cheese and milk in

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join