It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Obama's sob story about his mother's struggle with health insurance?? New doubts!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
We all heard the story time after time throughout his campaign and beyond. Obama's mother struggling with the insurance companies who wanted to deny her coverage during her battle with cancer. This is where Obama the wordsmith got creative with his story and its delivery. A very careful selection of words and omission of critical facts.

Refresher straight out of Obama's mouth

"I remember in the last month of her life, she wasn't thinking about how to get well, she wasn't thinking about coming to terms with her own mortality, she was thinking about whether or not insurance was going to cover the medical bills and whether our family would be bankrupt as a consequence," Obama said in September 2007.

"She was in her hospital room looking at insurance forms because the insurance company said that maybe she had a pre-existing condition and maybe they wouldn't have to reimburse her for her medical bills," Obama added in January 2008.

"The insurance companies were saying, 'Maybe there's a pre-existing condition and we don't have to pay your medical bills,' " Obama said in a debate with Republican opponent Sen. John McCain in October 2008.

It is certainly a powerful story that was built layer upon layer and retold time and time again. Well, apparently Obama embellished the story to the point of down right lies. Surprised??

The story told in a new biography of Obama's mother tells a very different story.

The news is in "A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama's Mother," a generally admiring new biography written by former New York Times reporter Janny Scott. According to the book, Ann Dunham, an anthropologist who spent most of her working life in Indonesia, moved from Jakarta to New York in 1992 to work for a nonprofit called Women's World Banking, which encouraged micro-lending in Third World countries. Unhappy in New York, in 1994 Dunham took a job with an American company called Development Alternatives, which had a contract with the Indonesian State Ministry for the Role of Women. Dunham returned to Jakarta to work, and Scott reports the job provided Dunham with health insurance, a housing allowance, and a car.

At the time she took the job, Dunham was increasingly worried about her health; she was suffering from intense abdominal pains. In November 1994, Dunham went to an Indonesian doctor who diagnosed appendicitis. As Dunham debated whether to leave the country for surgery, she called her boss at Development Alternatives. "You've got health insurance, that's taken care of," the boss told her. "We can cover the airfare."

Dunham decided to stay in Jakarta, where she underwent an appendectomy. But the pain did not go away, and Dunham feared, correctly, that she was terribly ill. In January 1995 she left Indonesia to go home to Honolulu, where she was diagnosed with advanced uterine and ovarian cancer. She began a regime of surgery and chemotherapy.

This is where Obama turns on the story machine

That is the time during which Obama says his mother battled insurance companies to cover her illness. But Scott, who had access to Dunham's correspondence from the time, reveals that Dunham unquestionably had health coverage. "Ann's compensation for her job in Jakarta had included health insurance, which covered most of the costs of her medical treatment," Scott writes. "Once she was back in Hawaii, the hospital billed her insurance company directly, leaving Ann to pay only the deductible and any uncovered expenses, which, she said, came to several hundred dollars a month."

A glimmer of truth based in a DISABILITY insurance claim not a health insurance claim. In comes Obama the lawyer.

Scott writes that Dunham, who wanted to be compensated for those costs as well as for her living expenses, "filed a separate claim under her employer's disability insurance policy." It was that claim, with the insurance company CIGNA, that was denied in August 1995 because, CIGNA investigators said, Dunham's condition was known before she was covered by the policy.

Dunham protested the decision and, Scott writes, "informed CIGNA that she was turning over the case to 'my son and attorney, Barack Obama.' " CIGNA did not budge.

Again Obama's actions speak far louder than his empty words. The man used is mother's memory to benefit his campaign and to push for Obamacare. The same man that threatens to hold SSI checks for retirees and veterans. The man has no respect and lacks any guidance by an internal moral compass.

A dozen years later, her son turned her ordeal into a campaign pitch for national health care. But the story Obama told, Scott writes, was "abbreviated" -- the abbreviation was to leave out the fact that Ann Dunham had health insurance that paid for her treatment. "Though he often suggested that she was denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition," Scott writes, "it appears from her correspondence that she was only denied disability coverage."

That's a different story altogether. One the president never told.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: washingtonexaminer.com...

Obama says whatever Obama needs to say. Whether true or false. This is proven day after day in the saga of Obama. Still wonder why an ever growing number of people in this nation doubt his story?

edit on 13-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by jibeho because: clarity

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Great how this scumbag can swing a story to his side, about his family being bankrupt, yet most of the bloody countries bankrupt & now hes just scrounging his living from the rest of the population, what a useless commodity he is.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

I voted for him. It was the first time I was voting in a Presidential election, and I really didn't like Palin.
In the last year, I've read so much junk about not just him, but others, and can't help but think they're all a bunch of crooks.
This really does take the cake though.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

I'm not sure how anyone can support, to use a common term, "Obamacare."

Very obviously a situation where we've once again been sold out to corporations, mandated to increase their profits by law. This is good and provable information for anyone who battles the Obama supporters in their circle of friends and family.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If Janny has access to these records I wonder how far back the authror will be allowed to go.
Perhaps the author will prove that although Barak Obama was undoubtedly born in Hawaii * his mother is proven to have been out of the country at the time and unfortunately missed the event.
My money is on the writer being paid off before then.

1994? Isn't that about the time that both he and his wife were disbarred and lost the right to practice law?

*Two newspaper clippings, two photoshopped certs and a bunch of followers too rabid to reason with.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Ohhh that's low. Really low. Using his dead Momma for personal/political gain. She's gonna haunt him big time.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
1994? Isn't that about the time that both he and his wife were disbarred and lost the right to practice law?

Say whaaat? Tell more, please. I know not of this!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I would call it lying by omission on the part of President Obama, but he is an attorney.... Right?

I would expect that of him.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I would call it lying by omission on the part of President Obama, but he is an attorney.... Right?

Quoting myself,

He is not an attorney! He surrendered his license voluntarily, but usually the only reason for a lawyer to do so would be because he faces disbarment if he keeps the license. In effect it is a way to avoid disbarment.

Seriously, why would an attorney that spent so much time, effort and money to get that license.... surrender it? Just give it up???

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Quoting myself,

He is not an attorney! He surrendered his license voluntarily, but usually the only reason for a lawyer to do so would be because he faces disbarment if he keeps the license. In effect it is a way to avoid disbarment.

Seriously, why would an attorney that spent so much time, effort and money to get that license.... surrender it? Just give it up???

Good question!! Too bad he did not spend any of his own money at least he didn't at Harvard. The man and his wife lied about having paid off student loans from the proceeds of his book sales. He never declared any student loans in his filings back in his days in Chicagoland politics.

Not to stray off topic but the following article is very enlightening
Obama's Harvard Years: Questions Swirl

The article certainly left me scratching my head and further guided me on my quest for the truth behind Obama!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Health insurance companies regularly try to deny
Claims, by misleading their customers... Another tactic
Is to buffer access for further consideration by Omitting
The existence of recourse. My father also died of cancer
And was denied just about every week, even WITH a great
Plan. Fortunately for him my stepmother would engage in the fighting.
Denial of chemo to denial of catheters, walker, nursing care, hospice
Care, imaging... The process involves lots of fighting, research and
Stress.

As far as I recall And what I read from the OP claims
Reflect this very well. My career as a MEDICAL BILLER has plenty of
Experience with this too... Patients regularly have to fight with insurance companies
While being terminally ill in order to get approval, Obama's mother's success navigating
The pitfalls does not means denials did not occur weekly. It is this factual omission
From the OP that turns this article into an implement, political in nature, of course.

Can Jiveho present evidence that she was not denied during her battle?

Below are a few organizations that attest to the existence of such practices

www.patientadvocate.org...
www.Claims.org...
www.Hospitalbillreview.com...
www.Healthchampion.net...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

"I remember in the last month of her life, she wasn't thinking about how to get well, she wasn't thinking about coming to terms with her own mortality, she was thinking about whether or not insurance was going to cover the medical bills and whether our family would be bankrupt as a consequence," Obama said in September 2007.

"She was in her hospital room looking at insurance forms because the insurance company said that maybe she had a pre-existing condition and maybe they wouldn't have to reimburse her for her medical bills," Obama added in January 2008.

"The insurance companies were saying, 'Maybe there's a pre-existing condition and we don't have to pay your medical bills,' " Obama said in a debate with Republican opponent Sen. John McCain in October 2008.

It is certainly a powerful story that was built layer upon layer and retold time and time again. Well, apparently Obama embellished the story to the point of down right lies.

Down right lies???

Please identify the lies above, let's get all logical up in here
edit on 13-7-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Health insurance companies regularly try to deny
Claims, by misleading their customers... Another tactic
Is to buffer access for further consideration by Omitting
The existence of recourse. My father also died of cancer
And was denied just about every week, even WITH a great
Plan. Fortunately for him my stepmother would engage in the fighting.
Denial of chemo to denial of catheters, walker, nursing care, hospice
Care, imaging... The process involves lots of fighting, research and
Stress.

As far as I recall And what I read from the OP claims
Reflect this very well. My career as a MEDICAL BILLER has plenty of
Experience with this too... Patients regularly have to fight with insurance companies
While being terminally ill in order to get approval, Obama's mother's success navigating
The pitfalls does not means denials did not occur weekly. It is this factual omission
From the OP that turns this article into an implement, political in nature, of course.

Can Jiveho present evidence that she was not denied during her battle?

Below are a few organizations that attest to the existence of such practices

www.patientadvocate.org...
www.Claims.org...
www.Hospitalbillreview.com...
www.Healthchampion.net...

Nice deflection!!
Your experience as a BILLER (congratulations!) is irrelevant to Obama's half truth. The author of this biography based her information on Ann Dunhams personal correspondence. Ann did not have problems with her health care insurance. It was the DISABILITY claims that were giving her problems. Did you read that part.

Everything else you wrote is just bunk and deflection. As usual!

This thread is not about the denial of claim coverage is it?? Perhaps you can create your own thread on that topic alone.

It is about Obama's clear intent not to tell the full story and his intent to use his mother's illness and death to gain political stance in the election and in the pasage of Obamacare.

Got it?? Funny how you fail to defend Obama and choose to rant off topic.

Thanks for stopping by MEDICAL BILLER. You want a cookie or a cracker?

edit on 13-7-2011 by jibeho because: clarity

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am pretty sure this is not even icing on the cake as to what this False Prophet has done in his time. I still think his college was most likely paid for through some twist in that he was considered a foreign student!

Do I know this to be true? I only know there is nothing True about this Dude!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The number of people denied coverage also increased during the three-year period, from 172,000 in 2007 to 257,000 in 2009, an increase of nearly 50%, the lawmakers reported.
"Each company had business plans that relied on using preexisting conditions to limit the amount of money paid for medical claims," the report said. "In one document, executives devised a plan for strategic growth in the individual market that identified areas of opportunity to be 'improved preexisting exclusion processes, tighter condition and large claim review, [and] tighter underwriting guidelines.' "

Yet more evidence from the real world.

There are several levels of denials, from all out recession to line item, which could
Include the most expensive of treatments.

www.ama-assn.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It is certainly a powerful story that was built layer upon layer and retold time and time again. Well, apparently Obama embellished the story to the point of down right lies.

Down right lies???

Still deflecting but not defending?

Any proof that her deductibles were going to bankrupt Obama's family? Doubtful.

I don't believe a thing the man says. He is a wordsmith and speaks in half truths. The rest is just lies by omission as indicated earlier.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The number of people denied coverage also increased during the three-year period, from 172,000 in 2007 to 257,000 in 2009, an increase of nearly 50%, the lawmakers reported.
"Each company had business plans that relied on using preexisting conditions to limit the amount of money paid for medical claims," the report said. "In one document, executives devised a plan for strategic growth in the individual market that identified areas of opportunity to be 'improved preexisting exclusion processes, tighter condition and large claim review, [and] tighter underwriting guidelines.' "

There are several levels of denials, from all out recession to line item, which could

www.ama-assn.org...

Thanks for sharing BILLER. It's still irrelevant here. You're just spouting to give yourself credibility as a BILLER. You're going to have your hands full if Obamacare ever gets into full swing. Perhaps then we can have a good debate about denial of coverage because there will be plenty of it.

Any thoughts on Obama's lie/half truth?? Didn't think so...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Down right lies???

Still deflecting but not defending?

Any proof that her deductibles were going to bankrupt Obama's family? Doubtful.

I don't believe a thing the man says. He is a wordsmith and speaks in half truths. The rest is just lies by omission as indicated earlier.

The lies by omission are that of the OP...

Insurance companies can deny coverage 10 times before acquiescing to cover a procedure.

The is what makes the basis of the OP false, it sets up a false dynamic.

Obama's point during the campaign as represented on the quotes is that, rescission
And the stress of the outcome is present in most terminal cases, because insurance
Is constantly attempting to optimize profits.

Your OP is a sensational piece which does not account for the ultimate truth in his assertions
About the industry. A passerby with little knowledge and a political bone to pick is unable to make the vital
Distinction. Congratulations to you on you country club membership and experience in the yatching community!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

www.ama-assn.org...

Thanks for sharing BILLER. It's still irrelevant here. You're just spouting to give yourself credibility as a BILLER. You're going to have your hands full if Obamacare ever gets into full swing. Perhaps then we can have a good debate about denial of coverage because there will be plenty of it.

Any thoughts on Obama's lie/half truth?? Didn't think so...

Oh I know mister polo and watercress sandwiches, working for a doctor is a no no in high society...
Does not change the fact that, the OP and you are the liars that press a false
Narrative. Ending contractual rescission is a wonderful thing for Americans health insurance holders.
Maybe you should just stop supplying your butler with coverage, or move your assets to a more ethical position?

Obama stated that he thought his mothers need to battle insurance adjusters while dying was not a pleasant state of affairs. That is not a lie,,, show me the lie... The lie is saying that he said she was rescinded, he never said that, did he?

You're just mad because I do not fall in line like a robot...

Obama has lied about war, transparency amoungst other things.
But you have both failed to make the case here... Have your chauffeur
Pull the Bently around and take a ride for fun

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Typical Obama class warfare propaganda. Your envy is showing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join