It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe May Have Been Born Spinning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Physicists and astronomers have long believed that the Universe has mirror symmetry, like a basketball, but recent findings from the University of Michigan dispute this. The findings suggest that the shape of the Big Bang might be more complicated than previously thought, and that the early universe spun about an axis.

a left handed spiral galaxy spirals go in one direction

our right handed MilkyWay galaxy
the spiral arms go in the other direction

link to NASA source

The excess is small, about 7 percent, but the chance that it could be a cosmic accident is something like one in a million,” Longo said. “These results are extremely important because they appear to contradict the almost universally accepted notion that on sufficiently large scales the Universe is isotropic, with no special direction.”

To test for the assumed mirror symmetry, physics professor Michael Longo and a team of five undergraduates catalogued the rotation direction of tens of thousands of spiral galaxies photographed in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

so the mirror image nature of the universe is broken the Symmetry is slightly off
is this an indication of the source of angular momentium?
a "spinning" exploding singularity
or is there a reason other than Symmetry that the galaxies have prefered axis of rotation
do these galaxys "align" with other galaxies?
is there sympathetic rotation of galaxies?

it is very interesting that there are left handed and right handed galaxies in the universe

edit on 13-7-2011 by XPLodER because: add more

edit on 13-7-2011 by XPLodER because: add pic

edit on 13-7-2011 by XPLodER because: change stuff

edit on 13-7-2011 by XPLodER because: add more and spelling

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I personally believe that mankind doesn't have a clue as to what the universe, or reality for that matter, is. They may be able to describe it in our primitive Earthly terms or they may even break it down to tiny tiny 'atoms', but no one can tell me what the universe IS. I don't blame them, we need a bigger picture for that.

Until this bigger picture comes about, I think claims like this are pure guesswork, bounded by our own limits of understanding.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SergeantTrammelant

Until this bigger picture comes about, I think claims like this are pure guesswork, bounded by our own limits of understanding.

the ops of the paper pushed the limits of what should be expected and found some thing unexpected about galaxies, it effects the greatest question i can think of,
how did the universe come to be?

very clever idea to look for prefered axis of rotation of galaxies
very cool science

xploder

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SergeantTrammelant

I personally believe that mankind doesn't have a clue as to what the universe, or reality for that matter, is.
....no one can tell me what the universe IS.
.......I think claims like this are pure guesswork, bounded by our own limits of understanding.

What exactly is the point that you are attempting to make with your post?

Since we cannot come to an absolute 100% definitive conclusion, then nobody should even try to find the answers?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I was thinking that it was funny that if more galaxies turn counter clockwise in the universe,

then its funny that our

clocks turn right, but then the picture of the milky going right sorted that out in my mind,

wonder if aliens in left spinning galaxies watches turn backward though ?? :p

edit on 13-7-2011 by Lagrimas because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's just like how the water flows down the toilet in opposite directions either side of the equator.
The Universe is just a big toilet and earth is but a bad stain on the side of the bowl

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
wonder if aliens in left spinning galaxies watches turn backward though ??

Do you think it is a natural force that causes the hands of clocks and watches to move, and to function correctly?

reply to post by 12voltz

Coriolis Effect

edit on 7/13/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yet more evidence that the Big Bang theory is UTTER NONSENSE.

WHERE does all the spin COME FROM?

Asking any scientist this question will cause them to tell you to shut up before their head explodes.

Where does all the spin come from?

Also, that "picture of the Milky Way galaxy"......they don't KNOW which way our galaxy is spinning....you would have to exit the galaxy to be able to tell.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Are you still following the premiss that rotation is a product of left over momentum from the big bang? I never liked that answer and compared it to sweeping the question under the rug (the big bang rug), meaning it never answered the original question, "What causes things to rotate?"

Following the 'right hand rule' puts some galaxies upside down compared to others.

This is how we observe the Milky Way from Earth's perspective and observed local solar motions. The motions in the Milky Way are moving in the opposite direction to the motions in our solar system.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3136968c80e.jpg[/atsimg]

Almost all rotations and orbital motions in our solar system go in a counter-clockwise direction yet the Milky Way moves in a clockwise direction opposing our solar motions. So if we follow the right hand rule (counter clockwise motion) to designate the North pole by axial rotation then the Planet Venus is upside down with an axial tilt of 2.7°. This would then mean our solar plane is tilted by 120° to that of the Milky Way and not 60° as most assume. In other words, at 60° we are upside down compared with our galaxy or vise versa depending on your ego.

After looking at these celestial motions I get the feeling that there is a force that causes rotational motions and is not left over momentum from the big bang.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Galaxy's outer regions spin both ways at once

Using 20,000 stars observed by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS-II), an international team of astronomers has discovered that the outer Milky Way is a mix of two distinct components rotating in opposite directions.

"By examining the motions and chemical makeup of the stars, we can see that the inner and outer halos are quite different beasts and they probably formed in different ways at different times," explained Daniela Carollo, a researcher at the Italy's Torino Observatory and the Australian National University.

www.sdss.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

WHERE does all the spin COME FROM?

mabey your question will lead to a new thinking
it almost looks like there is a relationship between
spin mass and energy from the vacume

is this spin evidence that induced galaxy rotation is electrical?
if so there should be a prefered direction of axual alignment between the galaxies in a "given" cluster

xploder

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
reply to post by XPLodER

Are you still following the premiss that rotation is a product of left over momentum from the big bang?

no i personally dont Attribute the angular velocity to "the BB" i feel it is an intergral part of the equation

E=MC
MC in a magnetic field = E
E=Mass X Velocity /strength of field

A Direct current moter can be both a moter and a generator,
a current imput would create R/H rotation of electrically charged bodies. (motor)
a force imput would create an electrical output(generator)

so if energy cannot be created or destroyed is it recyled using galaxies as the mecanism
externally supplied electrical potential induced rotation (motor)
or internally generating electrical potential from exterior force imput (generator)

the evidence as i see it is in AGN and quasars ect (generator)
and galaies like ours (motor)

I never liked that answer and compared it to sweeping the question under the rug (the big bang rug), meaning it never answered the original question, "What causes things to rotate?"

is there anything "the BB" cant explain?
it definatly did not "predict" rotational singularity exploding

Following the 'right hand rule' puts some galaxies upside down compared to others.

or the direction of electrical "flow" is reversed and the oposite "handedness" is observed

This is how we observe the Milky Way from Earth's perspective and observed local solar motions. The motions in the Milky Way are moving in the opposite direction to the motions in our solar system.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3136968c80e.jpg[/atsimg]

angular momentum transfered between rotating bodies is in an oposite direction

Almost all rotations and orbital motions in our solar system go in a counter-clockwise direction yet the Milky Way moves in a clockwise direction opposing our solar motions. So if we follow the right hand rule (counter clockwise motion) to designate the North pole by axial rotation then the Planet Venus is upside down with an axial tilt of 2.7°. This would then mean our solar plane is tilted by 120° to that of the Milky Way and not 60° as most assume. In other words, at 60° we are upside down compared with our galaxy or vise versa depending on your ego.

that is very interesting information
thanks D

After looking at these celestial motions I get the feeling that there is a force that causes rotational motions and is not left over momentum from the big bang.

you are correct in my opinion and further investigation on the topic of prefered axis rotation,
will show the galaxies are forming larger structures acording to the forces involved with induced galaxy rotation

xploder

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
God gives birth to the infinite female to be "His" wife and She goes to the piano stool on Her stomach and tries to see how fast She can spin around. Kids these days.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

No that's not what I was aiming at. I was trying to add maybe a spiritual note if you will. I did not mean to come on strong(?), but sometimes that is hard to tell since I'm not native English.

I think we should never stop seeking for answers! I'm just saying that I believe that before we can even begin to speculate about things like this, we need a bigger picture. No matter how many cutting edge math and research one throws at me.

new topics

join