It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Good friend' kills Ahmad Wali Karzai, brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

'Good friend' kills Ahmad Wali Karzai, brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai

www.msnbc.msn.com

Wali Karzai was a controversial figure but his death will leave a dangerous power vacuum in Kandahar, the Taliban's birthplace and a focus of recent efforts by a "surge" of U.S. troops to turn the tide against the insurgency. He had been accused of corruption and ties to Afghanistan's huge opium trade that helps fund the Taliban-led insurgency, but had denied the accusations.

The president's half brother and head of the Kandahar provincial council was shot by "a good friend"...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This guy was the county's opium broker from what I understand. Not just the red herring "helps fund the Taliban insurgency" trade, but the unspoken, black ops funding three letter agency trade as well. It is well known the Taliban was eradicating opium production prior to the invasion.

I thought he was pretty much untouchable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe he started asking for too big a cut, or was finally confirmed to be playing both sides of the fence. I wonder who this "good friend" is affiliated with. The Taliban has taken credit for the attack, in which Wali was shot once in the chest and once in the forehead.

Wali's death will leave a huge power vacuum. I'm sure there is no shortage of enterprising individuals eager to take his place. that's not necessarily a good thing.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-7-2011 by Icarus Rising because: clarity

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I saw this this morning, was going to write a thread about it but it slipped my mind.

I can imagine that a sh*tstorm will be a brewin' during the next few days. I only hope that nothing major will come of this

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It was his personal body-guard that double-tapped him.

Bodyguard kills Afghan President Brother

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

Yeah, the bodyguard did it. The ultimate act of betrayal. He should be fired. (j/k) How long has Sardar working for Wali? He was characterized as a "trustworthy person". Wali is characterized as "the glue that held Kandahar together". His death may cause considerable upheaval in Afghanistan.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Maybe with his brothers death, Karzai will pull his head out of his fourth point of contact. Things like this happen when you start playing both sides. Karzai has been targeted before and he knows that the bulls eye has not gone away.

I know that corruption is the Afghan way of doing business, but it is out of control there. They really need to join the 21st Century if they are to be viable.

China accepted western innovation after the Boxer rebellion and look at where they are now.
edit on 12-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: added line

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From a guy that has met Wali back in 2007, he is the most corrupt son of a @#itch that I have ever met. His compound is within 200 yards of the main gate to Kandahar AB and the US Military has been paying this AS$##LE rent for Kandahar Air Base since 2003, in the millions. The people of Kandahar are probably celebrating right now because this warlord is dead. He used to come out to the Regional Training Center and get money from the US State department on a regular basis. He is the main reason the Herion crop that was completely destroyed in 2002 has had record crops since then (breaking records every year since). At least there is some Justice in the world, Now, his brother (The President) will probably be next. When you start seeing the mayors of the provinces start going down, then the Afghan people will finally be free.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by epiphany2010

Couldn't agree more. If we really mean business, go for the head, rather than trying to send "messages."

And when we do finally pull out. Tell those in charge. "Don't make us come back."

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by epiphany2010

You point out one of the glaring problems for the US in conducting foreign policy. We come in to these countries and our point of contact turns out to be the guy who is most responible for the problems we claim we are trying to address!

I know the old friends close and enemies closer adage, but it seems we perpetuate problems and complicate solutions with the associations we make in the initial stages of diplomacy. Then we are stuck with them, and keep pouring in money and troops like that is the answer.

Perhaps this is part of the fix coming out of our recent negotiations with the Taliban. "What do we have to do to bring you to the table?" Answer, " Well for starters, let us get rid of the parasite Wali."

Interesting too that Sarkozy just happens to be over there meeting with Hamid when this takes place. Perhaps a coming shift in supply lines is also more palatable for the negotiating environment.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Just maybe TPTB will understand what the military and the contractors know already about the regime. The main reason we are there is to protect the natural gas pipeline running thru southern afghanistan and soon to go thru southern pakistan (which the Taliban says won't happen). The taliban and the people do not want the gas line or the drugs and the fighting will never quit until that is so. Mark my words: Soon TPTB will figure out a false flag event to move into southern pakistan and complete the pipeline to the gulf. When this happens...all hell breaks loose. ITS TIME TO CUT AND RUN AND SAVE OUR TROOPS.

Quick Note: When I was in Afghanistan, I ran a full service bar at a Regional Training Facility to train Afghan Police. We had fifty US police officers at the camp (some retired and some on temp duty). One evening a group of special forces troops came in and stayed with us for a couple of days to relax and enjoy the bar. They were with a few (3 digit agency fellows). To make a long story short, these guys after consuming a few drinks started talking.....What they told a few of us in the bar that evening will piss you off. They have been in Afghanistan since May of 2001, and were negotiating with the Taliban about the pipeline. When talks broke down in June of 2001, they starting evacuating western contractors from the pipeline and only left a few afghan guards to control it. They finsihed this in late August of 2001.......You know what happened next!!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here is a BBC article on it

www.bbc.co.uk...

You know what I found most amusing?

The White House condemned the assassination "in the strongest possible terms".

But of course it's ok to assassinate/target Gaddaffi.

Ah the two faces of our government.

It is so easy to see isn't it?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

This guy was the county's opium broker from what I understand. Not just the red herring "helps fund the Taliban insurgency" trade, but the unspoken, black ops funding three letter agency trade as well. It is well known the Taliban was eradicating opium production prior to the invasion.

The taliban NEVER eradicated crops. Yes there are photos of burnt fields but isnt that just a farming method, crop rotation, burning the stubble to fertilise the land for the following year.
The Taliban in the mid 90's were earning an estimated 40 to 50 million dollars a year from heroin crops. Religious beliefs aside, they're not stupid. Who's going to throw away business like that.

Where the CIA go they create a huge drugs network, in Colombia they have the Medellin cartel, using the cartels business's to launder money. In Nicaragua they created the death squads to protect the fields and changed coc aine for M16's, arming las Contras who protected the fields and landing strips for the CIA.

In Afghanistan, they made the Taliban self sufficient, giving them arms to protect the worlds biggest heroin processing plant.
The difference is today, they've changed the Taliban protection squads for British and Canadian troops who guard the fields, but business goes on.

top topics

join