It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does life have a purpose?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
We do not know why we came into existence, however, we do not want to cease existing.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
what's the purpose of an orgasm?

WHO CARES! and those who do, don't have them enough.

lol. young grasshoppa, go be like water.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
yeah I reckon life is this thing we do in order to comprehend how insignificant we really are.

when we are born we think the world is our home and family....
then we go to school and that expands our world view
then we grow up, read newspapers, watch tv and it further expands our world view
until that time, we are completely self absorbed with our own importance and try to find a place in the world...

when we establish a place thats then we learn more and more and more until our world view bursts like a bubble and we understand that we are insignificant and there is no purpose at all.

the purpose is to be insignificant.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Speaking hypothetically of course...

I would say the Utimate purpose in life is to learn to love...

Seems about right

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Of course life has purpose. Nothing new is under the sun, and if Man ("we") have a concept such as "purpose" in our vernacular, then it does exist.

The human mind can not expand beyond what does not exist on the ultimate Ethereal plane. People who seriously question if this life has purpose are typically the ones with the most to offer the world. I'm so obsessed with this type of topic I wrote a deep, detailed book about it. You can read the first 37 pages of it here (free): 9thmind.com...

It might help some of you to join the exercises and discussion listed there as well. You don't want to die, simply to repeat the Matrix. Life is under your jurisdiction. Pick up your authority... and evolve.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
no
no putpse
no meaning
no reason
no hope

why?
these are words to fool you into someone elses purpose to to make up purpose = work push buttons and pull levers

nature speaks for those who can and will listen - there is your answer in the wilderness if you can find any

listen to nature and purge the un natural = unplug from the plug ins

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
No, it is all empty. If there was purpose, then no question would need to be asked, no? Only humans do what is un natural. What has society changed but our own willing enslavement.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
There is no purpose
Its all absolutely random
Its one big game of chance.

You could have died when you cross the street that morning.
You could of fell down the stairs when going to work.
You could have choked on your dinner.

Everything that happens is a roll of the dice.
All we can do is adjust the odds but in the end its all still random.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaOwl

true life purpose is objective superior existence in the realm of absolute freedom truth superiority always as the reference to relative free objective superiority senses

but of course the example of life we know is the reverse of life truth it is evil oness life running existence absolute right by nature and god, split two for definitive powers absolute abuses by cuting rights in two separate parts

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Funny....I always thought the purpose of life was finding a good beer and sharing it with someone I like.
Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
to understand everything.

2 line

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

"Man is a transitional species. The descent of the Supreme Reality is in its nature self-concealing. And in the descent there are successive levels. Evolution takes the form of an ascent; out of life it struggles upward into Mind in which the (process) becomes awake to itself and its world. And in that awakening, the universe gains the leverage it requires for the supreme work. It gains self-conscious individuality. From this perspective, the entire Divine Intent focuses itself, at least on this planet, in individuals who are capable of experiencing the Divine intelligence that is creating it."

—Sri Aurobindo

47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.”

48 “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

49 Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.”

50 Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than that.” 51 He then added,

“Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

The purpose?

To grow and improve (evolve), spiritually/psychologically, and to bear fruit ie: to cause/manifest improvement or human progress (in whatever way however small or great).

Fruits of the Spirit
Love
Joy
Peace
Longsuffering (Patience)
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control

Love: The will, to give of one's self, for the sake of another's spiritual growth and well being.
~ M. Scott Peck, MD, from "The Road Less Travelled, A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth"

This is THE TRUE JOY IN LIFE, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.
And also the only real tragedy in life is the being used by personally minded men for purposes which you recognize to be base. All the rest is at worst mere misfortune or mortality: this alone is misery, slavery, hell on earth; and the revolt against it is the only force that offers a man’s work to the poor artist, whom our personally minded rich people would so willingly employ as pandar, buffoon, beauty monger, sentimentalizer and the like.”

~ George Bernard Shaw, from "Man and Superman", Epistle Dedicatory to Arthur Bingham Walkley, 1903

And so the choice remains - to run away and hide, or face reality as it is, and grow; to choose life (with our whole being), or death (as a shrinking away from life ie: a deathful life), and the great beauty, paradoxically, resides within this very FREEDOM, to choose. May God grant us the wisdom to choose wisely, and the courage and the will, to take all needed action to realize our destiny as the free-will historical causal agents of progressive change that we really and truly are, if only by the neccessity, and the power, to choose (with awareness).

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 17-1-2012 by NewAgeMan because: final final edit

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Ultimatley, there is only you. You are the only thing that exists with certainty, finding the purpose of your existence or the reason behind your creation is only possibly by looking within yourself for the answer. There is a hurdle, however, it is called the "mind" and it operates like a computer, offering conflicting suggestions, and it forces you to "think" and provide further input into the program's database. When you de-activate the mind, there is just a "space" of "you" and if you can experience it in its purest form, you will find that your existence is the purpose of the universe.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join