It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man dies after falling out of stands at Rangers game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Man dies after falling out of stands at Rangers game

sports.yahoo.com

This kind of thing isn't supposed to happen at the ballpark.

But it has.

A man attending a Texas Rangers game with his young son died after falling out of the left-field stands and about 20 feet to the ground Thursday night.

He was trying to catch a ball flipped into the stands by Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton(notes) but apparently
lost his balance and fell head-first in a space between the 14-foot outfield fence and the grandstand near the Oakland Athletics bullpen.

"We had a very tragic accident tonight and one of our fans lost their life reaching over the rail trying to g
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsbkHm99xBoKqHlONDJ7qk85nYcB?slug=jp-passan_texas_hamilton_tragedy_fan_death_070811]sports.yahoo.com[/url ]

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Tragic indeed. My prayers for the Stone family.

I have been to many ballgames in my life and have always seen people who were close to falling over while trying to catch homeruns or foulballs.

Look at the railing in the picture and asked yourself if MLB has done it's best to protect the fans.Are these stadiums as safe as they want us to believe?

Really surprised this isn't a more common event. I anticipate that with this event we may see netting being put in place to prevent incidents like this from happening.

Feel bad for the son having to witness his father's death.

sports.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Look at the railing in the picture and asked yourself if MLB has done it's best to protect the fans.Are these stadiums as safe as they want us to believe?

I guess when they built them they assumed people wouldn't stupidly and recklessly hang over the guard rail, risking their lives, to catch a 4$ baseball.

It is a sad state of reality that they will have to put up netting, because idiots clearly won't stop falling over them. I really feel for the child in this one.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
ya very sad, especially that his son had to see this

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The family should sue the rangers and make tons of money, i would they are responsible afterall

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I guess when they built them they assumed people wouldn't stupidly and recklessly hang over the guard rail, risking their lives, to catch a 4$ baseball.

But sometimes the ballpark increases one's stupidity by providing too much alcohol. Not saying and don't think this is the case here.

I believe the man wanted to make his son's day by catching the ball.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DrCog

No one should be sued...

The guy leaned over the rails, they tell you not to do that because it isn't that smart of a thing to do. Looks like he stretched too far lost his balance and fell. It's sad but it happens.

I know some ballparks already have netting under the upper levels, seen fans fall into those before.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't like how the announcers are so casual and even throw in a little laugh.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

at the time it wasn't that big of a deal. Didn't it even show him walking away from it initially?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This was a very sad, unfortunate and tragic accident. I know people "feel" they need to place blame, but sometimes you just have to accept that accidents occur.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to jump into this thread is to acknowledge the support being given Shannon's family by his community. It really is incredible. I have known Shannon since he first joined the FD, fresh out of high school. He was a very fine young man, dedicated to his career, community and family.

At the moment he reached out for that ball, I can tell you his only thought was watching his son's face light up, when he handed it to him.

ETA
brownwoodnews.com...:support-shown-for-fallen-firefighter&catid=35:news&Itemid=58

brownwoodnews.com...:barbecue-benefit-for-stone-family&catid=35:news&Itemid=58

brownwoodnews.com...:services-for-shannon-stone-set-for-monday-funeral-route-set&catid=35:news&I temid=58
edit on 10-7-2011 by WTFover because: added links to local articles

top topics

join