It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coke machine of the future debuts at Firehouse Subs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Coke machine of the future debuts at Firehouse Subs

One of only two in the state, a Coca-Cola machine at Firehouse Subs dispenses more than 100 drink choices.

A futuristic-looking box with one spout for dispensing carbonated beverages, the Coca-Cola Free Style at Firehouse, located at 535 S. Upper St. near campus, is second only to the one at Moe’s Southwest Grill at Fayette Mall, which was installed about two weeks ago, Firehouse General Manager Ken Wright said.

The first step involves dispensing ice. Then, the customer uses the machine’s touch screen to choose a beverage, and then flavor of that beverage — such as Fanta Zero instead of regular Fanta. The whole process is run by a computer.

The machine uses cartridges that are much smaller than the old system that consisted of a 60-pound bag of syrup in a cardboard box.

“The drink now in this machine is made fresh when you press the button,” Wright said. “You’ve got the freshest drink possible.”

A constant line was formed in front of the machine during lunchtime Friday, Firehouse’s second day with the Free Style in operation. Employee and incoming UK freshman Allie Kelbel and Coke Service Technician Mike Kimes stood by to assist customers with the foreign technology. Wright said it generally takes customers a minute to figure out how to use the machine, but he forsees that issue passing in a couple of weeks as more and more regular customers become accustomed to its easy-to-use format.

“You get a veteran coming up for a refill, they’ve figured it out,” he said.

Wright said in the future, Coca-Cola is looking to make a machine that allows customers to order a custom drink with their smartphones, such as a special mix of three beverages into one. For now, customers can make customized drinks the same way they could with the old machines, just with more choices.

And if the machine breaks down, Wright said a local Coca-Cola technician is on call at any time during the day. He said that some problems can be fixed from the Coke headquarters in Atlanta, since the machine is computer-run.

Wright said that the machine especially caters to the younger generation, even though people of all ages can easily use it. He said a girl Thursday took a picture beside the machine to post on her Facebook.

He also said the machine is good for business.

“Restaurants where they have put this have seen an increase in sales,” he said.

Firehouse Franchisee Bob Conochalla said other Firehouse locations will use the machines, too. He said a franchise will open soon in Nicholasville, and another in September in Lexington. Both will carry the Free Style. He said the machine is the future of cola-dispensing.

Wright said that, even with so many choices, some customers stick to classic flavors, like regular Coke or Dr. Pepper.

But, he said, “look at what you have here to choose from for next time.”

Source

edit on 7-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

“The drink now in this machine is made fresh when you press the button,” Wright said. “You’ve got the freshest drink possible.”

Great, just what we need, another justification to raise prices to maintain this machine. Are drinks not ridiculously overpriced as they are? Come on, 2 dollars for a glass of tea.

Then they want to say it is fresher? How so? I am not an idiot as to how fountain drink machines operate. The old way has a box of syrup in the back sitting next to a CO2 tank and when you press the lever, it mixes the syrup and the CO2, what does this machine do different that the tried and true machines do. Does it make the syrup and pull the CO2 out of the air on the fly?

EDIT:

And if the machine breaks down, Wright said a local Coca-Cola technician is on call at any time during the day. He said that some problems can be fixed from the Coke headquarters in Atlanta, since the machine is computer-run.

That is all well and good, until a piece of hardware goes belly up, like a memory stick and it requires human intervention and the machine is down two days until someone can come and repair it.

Hey, but it is soooo cool though, that is all that matters, right?
edit on 7-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
More useless consumer crap. That is all that this thing is. Its a fountain machine with a touch screen.

As long as the plebs can get their morning, afternoon and nightly sugar injections all is well. Dancing with the puppets starts in 5 minutes! Suck back that ass fattening sugar syrup you fools.

-Lightrule

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was curious what this bugger looks like:

I am not a fan of soda personally so it's not too exciting for me. I will say though that the price of these bevs should be way cheap because of the bypassing of containers.

spec

ETA: You know what's next eh? Just 'think it' and the machine will provide.
edit on 7-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

If technology was used properly, yes, costs would decrease but that is not the case.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Comeon guys
I swear someo people just need to find bad in absolutely everything
I personally wouldn't say no to more choices at the fountain.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

On the surface this is pretty cool.

It is when you look deeper at this do you see the cons, the cons being that it will end up costing more money in the long run and then they just pass it right on down to the customer without any regard. This is a situation where the developers have tunnel vision with only dollar signs in sight, and it is up us to point out that it does not solve anything and only creates problems, that we as consumers will eventually flip the bill for.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
that is why you create your own, in diameter and weight, oh and yes it actually does work, trust me haven't paid for anything out of vending machines in just under a decades.

edit on 7-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

please this is a problem for americans. You guys haven'[t lived like everyone else. You get free refills in stores bigger bottles larger food portions cheaper gas cheaper food and now because your endless credit is ending you have to start paying like everyone else. BOOO HOOO WAAAAAAA WAAAAAA

edit on 7-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I want one!! I know its bad for you, a waste of money, blah blah blah.... but hey, it looks like fun, and once in great while, it would be a treat!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Freshest possible Coke? My...

They make it sound like Coke was a hunted thing, in the jungles... LOL

It's more likely to be the freshest poison around!... ( Don't worry, I'm guilty of drinking cokes... So I NEED to stay away from that machine! )

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am a Coke Fiend... I should clarify, I am a Coca-Cola Fiend. I drink too much, too often and it would probably suit me better if they just discontinued the product. But, I've known about this for months saw it on some show a while back and I hope we get one around here before the # hits the fan and I can't splurge on a soda. Who doesn't enjoy mixing their favorite sodas or getting a real fountain soda instead of the crap plastic bottles?? I'm all about it cuz soon there won't be a can of coke I can afford. peace

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Sweet, i think they should add coc aine in coca cola again

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
ETA: You know what's next eh? Just 'think it' and the machine will provide.
edit on 7-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

Thats straight out of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
Only problem is the machine can only guess what the products may taste like. So coca cola may taste like mountain dew or any other liquid.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of future consumer data mining.

Computerized devices like these are being built for the added purpose of logging consumer choices and usage statistics. In this case it's soft drinks. It's a easy way to obtain accurate data from actual consumers. This data could be sold to other soft drink companies or used to determine soft drink popularity and modify drink selections accordingly. There are lots of commercial possibilities.

This new Coca Cola machine may seem like a trivial piece of news, yet it's actually very significant. It's a huge move toward computer enhanced equipment. This modernization of taking "dumb" devices and making them "smart" devices is going to be the focus of the next technology evolution.

I think these advancements are being implemented mostly for the benefit of the companies selling or using them and not the best interest of consumers. Although it does seem fun to use..

edit on 7-7-2011 by matito because:

new topics

top topics

join