It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen faces prison after sex doll prank goes awry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Teen faces prison after sex doll prank goes awry

news.yahoo.com

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — When 18-year-old Tyell Morton put a blow-up sex doll in a bathroom stall on the last day of school, he didn't expect school officials to call a bomb squad or that he'd be facing up to eight years in prison and a possible felony record.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
How could anyone allow the police state to advance to the level of prison sentences being handed out for minor incidents and pranks. There are many rapists and killers who have gotten their sentences watered down, and are out not long after the dead time, served before the trial.

That this could even occur in a First Nation Country or the Free World is very alarming. Its child abuse to raise our children to be so frightened that one mishap puts them behind bars for nearly a decade.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I agree..way overboard..for a high school prank. They need to consider this kids life...realize he is young and didn't mean any harm, and give him a break. What a joke the justice system is...really quite sad..when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Teen faces prison sex after doll prank goes awry

Kinda overkill on the cops, damn.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A little bit more on the story is always nice

A janitor at Rushville Consolidated High School saw Morton run away from the school May 31, and security footage showed a person in a hooded sweatshirt and gloves entering the school with a package and leaving five minutes later without it, according to court documents.

Administrators feared explosives, so they locked down the school and called police. K9 dogs and a bomb squad searched the building before finding the sex doll.

"We have reviewed this situation numerous times," Rush County Schools Superintendent John E. Williams told the newspaper last week. "When you have an unknown intruder in the building, delivering an unknown package, we come up with the same conclusion. ... We cannot be too cautious, in this day and age."

news.yahoo.com...

Now I see why the bomb squad was dispatched. However, the end result and charges against this young man are outrageous. It really was an innocent prank and pales in comparison to some of the pranks that were pulled in my school 22 years ago. We had military grade smoke markers being set off in the halls, M-80's blowing up toilets, administrative doors glued shut and the never ending supply of stink bombs.

None of those kids who were caught ever ended up serving prison time for their pranks. Most got suspended and ended up doing some community service time. With the exception of the kid who blew up a toilet, he ended up in Juvenile detention after they linked him to some other "events" around town.

Anyway, for this poor kid no one got hurt and it should be chalked up to a life experience. Let his parents deal with him and make him spend a saturday afternoon picking up trash in the city parks. Lesson learned. Drop or reduce the charges.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This happened just a few miles from me and us locals have been following it for a while now. It hits home even more being so close to us and it happening to a fellow hoosier student. Its a sad state of affairs when a kid can't be a kid anymore without having that looming strong arm ready to put the smack down. I stop myself often to wonder if I am being to strict, as a direct response to society today, with my own children. I wish common sense would prevail in this case and that the student in question would just be lectured about the possible reactions to his little prank. Whatever happened to "criminal intent" being a factor in charges being brought about. I sure hope that it is a factor in the judgement.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
this is what happens when you knowingly and intentionally breed paranoia to a nations population i feel very sad for several states within the u.s. they simply have no idea who the real threat is, i assume it's only going to get worse.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

How could anyone allow the police state to advance to the level of prison sentences being handed out for minor incidents and pranks.

Take a look at this blurb from the article:

A janitor at Rushville Consolidated High School saw Morton run away from the school May 31, and security footage showed a person in a hooded sweatshirt and gloves entering the school with a package and leaving five minutes later without it, according to court documents.

Now maybe some of you think that sounds like an innocent prank, but in this day and age we cannot tolerate people dressing up like a burglar or terrorist, entering a school with a package and leaving later without it; and just dismiss the whole thing with a wave and a grin. This time it was a blow-up doll, but next time it may be a bomb. Now you seem to have come to the conclusion that a prison sentence is going to be handed out, but that is highly doubtful. He will likely be given a severe lecture by a judge, but I doubt he'll be convicted of anything serious.
edit on 6-7-2011 by SavedOne because: spelling

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It is retarded. People overreacted, and got egg on their faces for doing so. So they are taking out their much deserved embarrassment on a prankster. This is what happens when morons watch too much TV and get sucked in by the paranoia....

I also wore gloves and a hoodie when I put my senior prank at school, duh, I didn't want to get caught....
edit on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:44:22 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I mean what do you want the kid to do? At least it was a blow up doll.. When I was in school the senior prank was releasing pigs (and/or chickens) in the hallways...

Pranks are pranks are pranks.. I understand that the School and the Authorities were concerned, but really no laws were broken as it was just a blow up girl friend.
edit on 6-7-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What happened to the sex doll?

Will he be allowed to keep his doll in prison?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The prosecuter said they are not pursuing a prison term for this guy so what's the problem. He'll get slapped on the wrist and sent on his way.

Why do people overlook these obvious things to declare what a horrible society we live in. There's like 10 posts above mine and not one person has mentioned the fact that he's not going to jail which it clearly states in the article.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
What happened to the sex doll?

Goon Squad likely confiscated it

Prosecuter did say he is COMFORTABLE with the charges... odd choice of words...

Not to worry though... they are taking chemestry sets out of stores, out lawing chem labs and even sulfur because someone might make illegal fireworks and or a meth lab...

So if anyone gets to blow anything up it will only be the supposed Al Kaida that are running around free all over the USA...

They have won... the war on terror has made Americans into a race of WUSSES hiding under the bed...

sad... very sad

The locals need to be at that court house screaming outrage... wonder had this been done by a rich white kid... if the charges would have been the same.

Insanity rules in America... time to take the country back from the REAL terrorists

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Intresting title from yahoo since the PA in the article stated they arent going for any jail / prison time at all. Not to mention the felony charge being completely bogus. I think the PA should look up the term prosecutorial misconduct, punishment not fitting the crime and misscarriage of justice.

He deserves a punishment for sure and I agree it should be up to the school.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Morton was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor, and institutional criminal mischief, a felony that carries the potential of two to eight years in prison.

Arrested and charged, and one a felony! And he carries that stigma the rest of his life, when he faces employment applications! "Have you ever been convicted of or charged with a felony or misdemeanor?"

Whether he is arrested or not, he has been CHARGED, and must answer truthfully, even if CHARGES are later dropped. Being 18 he will probably never be able to have his records sealed.

Instead of being The Home of the Brave, as citizens are so wont to sing in patriotic harmony as proof of their patriotism, we have become the Land of the Wisdomfree and Home of the Fearful.

"Zero tolerance" has woefully substituted for brains (reason, rational thinking) and wisdom....and justice.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The charges...especially the felony charge is ridiculous. I remember having bomb threats at my HS once or three times per year. Our entire school would be dismissed for the day....but I don't ever remember hearing anyone being brought up on felony charges even for that.
These kinds of pranks would be the norm back in the day, now authorities will tie every offense to terrorism. That's what happens when US citizens stop caring about their own rights. Now we have the Patiort Act...It's no real surprise charges like these will be brought up for minor offenses.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So a janitor sees someone (a kid) running away from the school. A BLACK kid in rural Indiana. Janitor immediately concludes DANGER. The Authorities conclude the same thing.

If it was a WHITE kid running away from school, they'd probably just assume he was exercising or in a hurry to get some where.

They later find out their conclusions were WRONG, and for that, instead of blaming themselves for jumping to conclusions, they (as they usually do when in the wrong) decide to press felony charges against the kid for (essentially) making them paranoid.

???? What law did the kid break???? Being black, wearing a hood and gloves???? Surely there isn't a law against placing blow up dolls in bathroom stalls.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Now maybe some of you think that sounds like an innocent prank, but in this day and age we cannot tolerate people dressing up like a burglar or terrorist, entering a school with a package and leaving later without it; and just dismiss the whole thing with a wave and a grin.

Pray tell, what does the uniform of the day look like for a terrorist? I think I missed that day of the New Reich's training sessions.

In "this day and age" some people need to get a grip and go with decaff, especially when the city officials are the ones responding like petulant children to a harmless senior prank.

This "anything for safety" mindset is crazy, and it is far more dangerous to us citizens than any terrorist.

EDIT: S & F Op.
edit on 6-7-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
Existing Thread june 4 2011

I did a search, with the title and checked the recent posts and the news. I'm glad someone posted this, in any case, its just outrageous, and people need to stop being afraid of demanding corruption and fascism end. Its a different forum, this article was dated the 5th. But I agree its also a political article too showing the state of our nations. .

edit on 6-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join