It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture crimes officially, permanently shielded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Torture crimes officially, permanently shielded

www.salon.com

By Glenn Greenwald

In August, 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder -- under continuous, aggressive prodding by the Obama White House -- announced that three categories of individuals responsible for Bush-era torture crimes would be fully immunized from any form of criminal investigation and prosecution: (1) Bush officials who ordered the torture (Bush, Cheney, Rice, Powell, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld); (2) Bush lawyers who legally approved it (Yoo, Bybee, Levin), and (3) those in the CIA and the militar
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Are the elites trying to intentionally get everyone mad at them?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I ask again... do are these elites complete psychopaths or something? Did they time this to be right at July 4th just to make us all upset about it? The more I think about it Alex Jones was more right about the world than we think. They announced this right before July 4th when everyone is thinking about the holidays so it wouldn't make major news by the MSM. It's absolutely disgusting what the elites will do to keep people in the dark.

who tortured within the confines of the permission slips they were given by those officials and lawyers (i.e., "good-faith" torturers). The one exception to this sweeping immunity was that low-level CIA agents and servicemembers who went so far beyond the torture permission slips as to basically commit brutal, unauthorized murder would be subject to a "preliminary review" to determine if a full investigation was warranted -- in other words, the Abu Ghraib model of justice was being applied, where only low-ranking scapegoats would be subject to possible punishment while high-level officials would be protected.

Yesterday, it was announced that this "preliminary review" by the prosecutor assigned to conduct it, U.S. Attorney John Durham, is now complete, and -- exactly as one would expect -- even this category of criminals has been almost entirely protected, meaning a total legal whitewash for the Bush torture regime:

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is one of the many reasons I can not continue living in this country.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I agree it's absolutely disgusting and it won't even get one mention in the MSM because everyone's too busy celebrating the fourth of July. They want to let the masses celebrate while the looting of the nation and the destruction of the rule of law in the name of protecting freedom continues.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't consider every rule or law they pass to be legal, some are actual crimes, most are. This is null and void in my book and the person who orchestrated it should be arrested. This of course means, work, cooperation is needed by citizens to see justice done.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
They have to do this, because the same and even worse has happened under their watch.

They can't go after the former administration without implicating themselves and making themselves subject to the same.

The worst torture that has happened under both administrations has been done through "extraordinary rendition"

The US agencies have foreign regimes which will accept suspects transferred to them by the CIA and other agencies for the most brutal forms of torture in an effort to extract whatever information they can... And it is all perfectly legal.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Im confused actually. This qualified immunity occured while Bush was still in office and was done by Supreme Court Ruling, not Congress, although Congress did make some revisions to the law to comply with those rulings.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My disgust of our political leaders and their globalist masters is at an all time high.

Excuse me while I go puke now.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
We were a country that was proud to be the global role model for democracy, freedom, liberty and human rights.

Because of national security, and international security objectives we've exposed to the world that we are indeed no better than our enemies, on no higher moral ground than the oppressors and evil regimes of our world.

We are too far down the road of torture, murder, obtaining and retaining power and supremacy through brutal force in massive military operations and wars to ever turn back now.

When we run out of international objectives to pursue, we can turn these mighty machines on ourselves, control our own people, make them obedient slaves to the most powerful government and military force on this planet.

No huge leap to get there now.

When you've forsaken your humanity and principles you are under the will and command of evil.

Happy 4th of July America.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Sow now the same crimes against humanity that we have went to war over in the past are now legal? Wow I agree with the above poster. I miss the times when we were the world's conscience not it's jack booted thugs.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X

Sow now the same crimes against humanity that we have went to war over in the past are now legal? Wow I agree with the above poster. I miss the times when we were the world's conscience not it's jack booted thugs.

Don't worry, we're still too righteous to do the most extreme torture ourselves.

We have special torture proxies for that.

But we can all sleep better at night knowing that because we can do this we are safe from threats and plots that otherwise would not have been discovered without using these extreme methods.

It's all for the good of the country and the security of its people... ya know?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Torture was the official US policy, those tortures that occurred in Afghanistan and Iraq was given the green light by the government of US. Those who think this is not the official policy still live in "believe your government = patriot" era.

The US regime will not prosecute itself for these crimes against humanity.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
they know they can do it because no one will stop them. The masses are nicely under control. They know they have won theres nothing that can be done. Well not untill something big happens to shake up the status quo.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The British done this to the Irish while branding us terrorists. MI5 and their other Black OP agencies tortured innocent people, some of whom i know to get a confession on paper. Very little was done about although we all knew the truth. It became a working class war as the British tried to divide our people with religion. Middle and upper class did not want a part of this war because they had their nice homes and flashy cars. Too much to lose in other words. What the working class had was community which it seems that the American people dont. Its not about getting this informantion out to all the people because all the people know enough about the corruption. Its about standing with your next door neighbour and saying im not afraid. Take what ever i have, its only material trash anyway. You need to start small and get to know the people around you first and then expand your defiance.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Rule of law has become a joke in america what with torturers absolved and thieving bankers still not in jail and 30 million illegals allowed to run wild in america.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So if they can not be arrested in the states. What about outside the states? How can this be? Its an international crime. How can they shield this from the world?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wow. This has been a day heavy in terms of legal subjects when I check ATS. For awhile I was almost wondering if TPTB were trying to taunt us into a revolution.

top topics

join