It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God: Whats in a name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Lets say there is only one god who created the Universe and knows everything.
Why the hell do so many kooks and religious nutjobs care so much about other religions definitions of him/her?

Seriously If Muslims and Christians are both worshiping an all knowing creator of the universe then doesn;t it just make sense they're both worshiping the same god? If there is truly only one who created the universe and you're praying to it, ITS THE SAME FRIKKIN ONE. It doesn;t matter who her prophets were or how you pray to it, I can guarantee you GOD if truly an infinite being will not care how you do it or what name you use.

Wake up already the only differences in the god are the cultural differences, your intention and motives are all that matter.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Occy Anonymous

Its all about the only real god on this planet and that god is PROFIT.

Think of islam as Coka Cola & Chistianity as Pepsi. The more people that drink coke, means the more profits for Coka Cola and the same goes for pepsi, hence they must be rivals.

The leaders create the tension & hatred as it is profitable, its exactly the same thing out politicians do. I though that was pretty obvious myself.

This isnt some magical conspiracy, its right there, its in ever facet of our society, it is the driving force behind everything ever done since the creation of money, they dont even hide it anymore, yet it seems nobody can see it!!

Thats the real enemy, the money, it attaches value where there is none or should be none. (and thats all religion is, a business, perhaps the earliest form, if it wasnt all the leaders wouldnt be getting filthy rich of the backs of their collective "flocks")
edit on 2/7/11 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be in the rants section? If not, what is the purpose and point of this post?
2nd.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Exodus 6:2-4
And God spoke to Moses and said to him: “I am YHWH, I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as El Shaddai, but by My name YHWH I was not known to them. I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers.

A name differentiates one being from another. There are a lot of entities that proclaim to be a 'god', even the fallen messenger Satan declares himself a god. Each nation had (and has) its own 'god', principalities and powers, that gave succor and victory to them by their sacrifices---but the Originator of all, the true 'claim to fame' has a name and He revealed it to Moses in this passage.

All other 'names' for Him are descriptions or titles, even El Shaddai (somewhat mistranslated God Almighty) is a descriptive title; El = Mighty One, Shaddai = literally--breast--figuratively---nurturer and provider of sustenance. All instances of 'LORD' has been translated from YHWH...breaking the Third Commandment to not bring His name to naught.

If there is power in the Name, and all who call on His Name will be saved (and His Son comes in His Name--Yah's Salvation, Y'shua) Then it's best to search out that Name, for in it is power to redeem.

edit on 7/2/2011 by czygyny because: poor paragraph structure

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i think this should be in religion and conspiracies.

doesnt matter what they call it, they're all delusional.

good day.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

Yes but if your intention is to pray to the one creator of the universe does calling him Allah instead of Jahweh really matter? Surelvy A one true god would know your intentions and know your prayers are directed to him

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous
reply to post by czygyny

Yes but if your intention is to pray to the one creator of the universe does calling him Allah instead of Jahweh really matter? Surelvy A one true god would know your intentions and know your prayers are directed to him

The question arises is whether the God of Islam is the same God of Avraham, Yitchak and Yaacov. The claim is that they are one and the same yet the instructions each 'god' has left for its followers to keep is different, and Islam claims to come from Ishmael, the son of flesh and not the son (Issac-Yitchak) of promise.

So someone might want to cover all their bases and just direct their good wishes towards the sky in hope that it will reach the right one and be accepted...I don't know. It smacks of 'making god in your own image' and doing whatever seems right in your own eyes. I have came to the realization that my perspective is very limited and His plans for this material world is far reaching and beyond the scope of my comprehension.

I put my trust, my faith and my subjection in Him, YHWH and in His Son.

I am not going to quibble much about it. I have found my path after much prayer and searching. I find that His Name is important to follow the right set of instructions...you may not.

It's all a gamble...

..and you won't know if you've made the right choice until you shed this body.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous
reply to post by czygyny

Perhaps but you may have forgotten or just dont understand that each religion has diffrent definitions of salvation. Each faith believes in something similar, but the diffrence is in the details. Some faiths tend to be more laxed than others, and some are considered fanatical, yet to them, it's exactly what they must do to obtain salvation.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Seriously If Muslims and Christians are both worshiping an all knowing creator of the universe then doesn;t it just make sense they're both worshiping the same god?

Stop right there. Christians believe/worship Jesus who created all things both in heaven and in Earth. (Isaiah 44:24 and Colossians 1:16-17). Muslims think Jesus was just an ordinary man who was a great prophet, they worship Allah.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by realone91

www.watchmanreport.com...

Why are you spamming that website in every post you make here??

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

"GOD" is just a word for what we don't understand; it's salvation in the "why" and "hows" of life.

A creator/deity MAY exist, but it's an assumption. Causation is an assumption.

When we pre-suppose that "GOD" is a man made concept, it's easy to understand why there are so many proliferating religions and schisms within religions.

No person can reveal the unknown, we don't know what's beyond the big bang, we don't know how the cosmos works; but assuming a father figure behind the scenes in an assumption; and i don't think it's a wise assumption to make.

Science or human knowledge is always at the edge of the known; to reveal the unknown without evidence is simply irrational guesswork.

Either one religion is correct, none of them are correct, or there are many Gods, and thus multiple are correct.
edit on 3-7-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Seriously If Muslims and Christians are both worshiping an all knowing creator of the universe then doesn;t it just make sense they're both worshiping the same god?

Stop right there. Christians believe/worship Jesus who created all things both in heaven and in Earth. (Isaiah 44:24 and Colossians 1:16-17). Muslims think Jesus was just an ordinary man who was a great prophet, they worship Allah.

Why is it so hard for Muslim to become a Christian or join with another religion? Mohammed said, “Whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him.” (Hadith Al Buhkari vol. 9:57)

“Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! (Sura 9:5,29,41).

The QuRan speaks ill of "Kafirs" and wages a holy war in an attempt to convert everyone to the word of Allah.

Mohammed said, “I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah” (Al Bukhari vol. 4:196).

Why do you think their is conflict over Israel? The land has been promised in "Holy" scripture, by both Gods. That's why they can't settle it with civility, with peace.

And there's bloodfeud in Ireland because Protestants just can't get on with Catholics; and they'll kill each others children for the sake of their differences.

See....even those with the same founding faith ("Christianity") can't get along, because of their small differences in beliefs.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExistentialNightmare

"GOD" is just a word for what we don't understand; it's salvation in the "why" and "hows" of life.

A creator/deity MAY exist, but it's an assumption. Causation is an assumption.

When we pre-suppose that "GOD" is a man made concept, it's easy to understand why there are so many proliferating religions and schisms within religions.

No person can reveal the unknown, we don't know what's beyond the big bang, we don't know how the cosmos works; but assuming a father figure behind the scenes in an assumption; and i don't think it's a wise assumption to make.

Science or human knowledge is always at the edge of the known; to reveal the unknown without evidence is simply irrational guesswork.

Either one religion is correct, none of them are correct, or there are many Gods, and thus multiple are correct.

Right you are.

I've always found it peculiar, that religionists on the basis of their guesses (or cottage-industry 'methodologies') can claim any precedence amongst themselves. It's kind of: "Your guesses are guessier than mine".

Maybe best illustrated here on ATS with the recurrent claims of being 'true christians'. Claims which ofcourse never are settled except for those claimants, who also declare themselves referees and thus self-proclaimed 'winners'.

And as already has been pointed out on this thread, one alleged ultimate source of everything has no direct connection to all the fictive characters described in various holy manuals. An alleged ultimate source is a 'reality'-option to be considered as a separate subject. And not from premises arranged to 'prove' a pre-determind answer.

There is a contest between the myriads of 'true belivers' (be it a deity-name or -characteristics they refer to), who each drag their own specific-deity-'proof'-system along (or simply go by blind faith). Always a futile exercise ending with "Is. isn't, is, isn't...", when real arguments soon enough run out.

Just yesterday I made the experiment of claiming 'Krishna' as THE exclusive messenger of 'god(s)', without any validation at all, and not unexpectedly I got the "Is, isn't, is...." reaction. It appears, that that's the 'best' theists can relate to, when in competition.

new topics

top topics

join