It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 51st state in the union: South California?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Another change that i think would mess things up even more if it did happen.
(Maybe not now thinking about it)

The State of South California is being proposed by Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone, with 13 counties seceding from California to form America's 52nd state.

The proposed 51st state, of course, being the already proposed State of Jefferson in Northern California.

According to Supervisor Stone and supporters, secession would allow officials in the new state to concentrate on securing borders, balancing budgets, improving schools and creating a robust economy.

"Our taxes are too high, our schools don't educate our children well enough, unions and other special interests have more clout in the Legislature than the general public. It has to change," said Stone.

The State of South California would start at the Mexican border, continue up through the desert, over the Sierras and into the San Joaquin Valley.

Stone proposed that Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono counties should immediately unite to form the new state.

Los Angeles County, Ventura County and Santa Barbara County, which are currently part of what is known as "Southern California", would NOT be included in the State of South California.

Apparently, the counties with the most fame, wealth, power, influence and Botox are not welcome in America's 52nd state.

Stone continued, "We have a state Legislature that has gone wild. They just don't care. Their goal was to get a balanced budget so they could continue to get a paycheck," Stone said by telephone late Thursday. "There is only one solution: A serious secession from the liberal arm of the state of California. I know the state of California can do better."

www.californiality.com...

www.freerepublic.com...

www.fark.com...

pohdiaries.com...

losangeles.cbslocal.com...

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: thinking

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Do you think they are proposing seceding because of the Prevalence of Illegals in Southern California?

I read somewhere that California had 12 million Illegals. Probably wrong though.

Once the Illegal Immigrants take over and if they do

They make start a La Raza type situation where they want to secede and/or start a war.
edit on 1-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

California sucks, thank God there are some sensible people there that want out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse

Do you think they are proposing seceding because of the Prevalence of Illegals in Southern California?

I read somewhere that California had 12 million Illegals. Probably wrong though.
edit on 1-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

You know you might have something there. But most likely its to balance the budget easier.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It would be nice if you would post some content from the sources in the OP.

Thanks

edit: Thanks for the content!

I like this quote:

"Los Angeles County, Ventura County and Santa Barbara County, which are currently part of what is known as "Southern California", would NOT be included in the State of South California."

So what is now Southern California would essentially be relabeled as Northern California?

I honestly don't know much about California Politics as it seems the rest of the World only sees it as a place to shop, get some sun and maybe see some stars.

Thanks to this thread, I'll have a closer look. Deny Ignorance right?

Thanks!

edit on 1-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just another cry for attention.

I am so sick of people putting forward the "Succession Plan".

Nobody has ever really meant it.

They will get their "TV" time.

Then we will never hear another word about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Well as someone who has lived in California (San Francisco) for a long time I think its a GREAT. What is now Southern CA has always been a huge drag on the states economy. I think they should have to take LA though.

I have also lived in other states TX, FL and Tennessee for a few years here an there. Let me tell you, people may say that Californians are crazy but there are big GIANT bags of crazy in some of those Southern states...esp. Tennessee. I have never encountered more hateful, vile people in my entire life...not all of them but a good many of them.

Personally, I am happy that Jerry Brown in Governor again. I think that is the real issue here, he is not putting up with a lot of B******T from either party and they don't like it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yeah I saw this. The guy proposing it doesnt quite have the support he hinks he does. I cant see this going anywhere other than as a thought.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It isn't really a secession, though, right? They don't want to leave the USA, just separate from CA.

Sacramento will never let this happen, and let all that oil income go? No way.

It's kind a chicken-poop thing to do anyway, just a way for them to try to run away from the worst problems and not have to take responsibility for fixing them.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

That's weird, Obama says he visited 57 states and still had one to go. Since he is the most intelligent president /ever that means we have 58 states!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I remember growing up in Northern California (Way north, not San Frans or Sac., we'd call that area central California or the bay area) there was a talk of splitting the state. This was in the late 90's and one of my high school teachers brought it up after reading about it in the paper.
We discussed this in class and, at that time, the reason why the state would never separate is water. The north has the snow pack and when it melts, it is channeled to the southern part of the state.
The north felt it's culture was different and wanted nothing to do with the southern part of the state. The northern part also wanted to make a fortune off of selling water to the south and cashing in on out of state tourism. But since the south has more people and more power, separation was laughed at and considered a dream to us hicks. .

I know things have gone down hill since the 90's in my home state. However, I wonder if water may become an issue. I didn't see it mentioned in the article, is it an issue they are considering in the separation or are they more focused on trying to dissociate themselves with the financial, illegal immigrant, and law problems?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

The 51st state in the union: South California?

Nooo! Let them secede and join Mexico before letting them become another state. That new state would be a record in the % of people that are on full Gov't assistance. Probably the reason the state wants to rid that section of it's territory in the first place. Imagine it another ten years and how much farther North the movement proceeds.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow, yeah that's nessecary! Ha I feel bad for Puerto Rico... na ok not really. But that's wonderful I'm sure that will mean that there will be more political power in that area of the country now! Yay! Now basically Mexico will get to vote what happens here, sweet!

new topics

top topics

join