It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last minute push to stop S.978.RS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
There seems to be a last minute push to stop S.978 -- To amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes. (Reported in Senate -RS). As much as I hate to bring up a progressive web site, they advocate writing to your Senator or just letting them do it. I chose to take their idea and add to it.

The big business lobbyists who are behind the Internet Blacklist Bill are already making the sequel. The “Ten Strikes” bill would make it a felony to stream copyrighted content—like music in the background of a Youtube video, movies and TV shows—more than ten times.

Demand Progressive/Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

I may be a tad conservative and a little late to the party but how much more is the government going to restrict the ocean that is the internet. The internet belongs to the people not business. Business is tolerated because we like to order things online, bank online, pay bills online, find information online and review/discuss topics online.

I want to be able to read and view things without censorship or having someone reading all my correspondence or tracking my browsing habits in the name of “National Security”. There should be no limits on the internet. Those that can’t keep up with the technology should just fade into the background, going extinct like the dinosaurs.

Write to your Senators to try and stop this bill.

Bill Text/112th Congress (2011-2012)/S.978.RS

This bill was posted on ATS last month but needs to be brought up again.

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos, posted on 6/1/2011 @ 22:28

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos, posted on 6/1/2011 @ 23:54

Original Tech Dirt Article

Tech Dirt/Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos, posted Jun 1st 2011 10:32am

I've thought about how I would deal with draconian censorship if it happens. Have you? But that is a discussion for another thread if this and other measures pass.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I agree that this is a weird and dangerous bill. But I don't think the internet belongs to the people. It was invented by the military, and probably still belongs to the federal government right?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

People forget that the internet was created by the DOD(DARPA to be exact). That leads me to believe that they likely have all kinds of back doors and controls that we do not know about. It certainly does not "belong" to the people.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
I agree that this is a weird and dangerous bill. But I don't think the internet belongs to the people. It was invented by the military, and probably still belongs to the federal government right?

The internet does not belong to anyone, it is simply computers that are connected together. Access may be monopolized by telecom companies, but if things get to bad, I can see local community netwroks pop up to circumvent censorship...then the real party begins (with swat teams kicking in doors to server rooms and people shooting back for their freedom).

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is big news in my opinion...and this is why:

If a person can be convicted of a felony...even if they don't serve any jail time (prison or whatever) they will certainly be placed on probation and have there name added to a list of offenders that have committed this heinous crime (sarcasm on the heinous).

What better way to control and monitor your every move...probation and your name on a blacklist for the rest of your entire life...everything you do...on the Internet or not...will now be at the direction and discretion of your newly appointed Probation Officer...how convenient.

Now I know there is much more to it...but this is the first thing that pops into my mind...control...and how much...seems like making this a felony puts their control as limitless as you can imagine.

Just my two cents on it!

S & F...good thread!
edit on 1-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Sounds far fetched, but I wouldn't put anything past the Obama Administration these days...

He can't ban guns, he tried and failed to do that... so let's make everyone a felon thus stripping them of their gun rights.

if I lost my gun rights due to some absurd felony like this, I would probably lose my #.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
reply to post by jerryznv

Sounds far fetched, but I wouldn't put anything past the Obama Administration these days...

He can't ban guns, he tried and failed to do that... so let's make everyone a felon thus stripping them of their gun rights.

if I lost my gun rights due to some absurd felony like this, I would probably lose my #.

You know...I agree...it does sound a bit far fetched but then the things that sounded far fetched 20 years ago are happening everyday now...so although it is a little extreme to think about...you have to consider the laws that are being passed in this country and how easy it has become to get convicted of a felony.

Guns and gun laws...now that is a little different and tougher for certain...I lost my gun rights on a misdemeanor charge years ago (and now to some felonies...thats another story)...so it does happen. In my case a simple brawl with my brother caused us both to lose our gun rights...domestic violence (it is not always a man and a woman charge)...and we both plead guilty...so gun rights taken...end of story. That has become even easier as the time passes and new laws go into effect.

You can be certain that more people have felonies than you would think...in the work place...even in the local day care (my daughters daycare has two convicted felons on staff)...having a felony today is becoming pretty common and a lot more people are catching felonies than you might imagine.

Again this is just my opinion...and where my mind went when I saw the possibility of streaming becoming a felony.
edit on 1-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I believe everything the government "owns" belongs to the people/tax payers. We allow the government, through our representatives and senators, to administer our property for us. (snicker)
At least that is the way it's suppose to work. (snicker) (snicker)
The power of the people has been eroded lately. (sigh)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If my memory is right...Isnt the government a group of people CHOSEN by the PEOPLE because we cant live without limited moral rules...but this AINT MORAL!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

It would be really difficult for anyone to heavily the internet in america. if the govt got rid of facebook as they did in china the outcry would be instant and overwhelming politically speaking. i could even picture millions of bored Americans hitting the street.

we dont agree on much, but every citizen wants a free & fair web.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

The internet does not belong to anyone, it is simply computers that are connected together. Access may be monopolized by telecom companies, but if things get to bad, I can see local community netwroks pop up to circumvent censorship...then the real party begins (with swat teams kicking in doors to server rooms and people shooting back for their freedom).

yea definitely between wifi and cellular infrastructure community networks would be easy

top topics

join