It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nike drops adulterer, but endorses dog killer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I can't even understand the morality issues surrounding Nike's decision to sign Michael Vick to endorse their product. I'm sure many of you will remember that they dropped Tiger Woods because of the scandal surrounding him, but they sign on Vick?!?

Article: www.wftv.com...

Come on, Nike! You couldn't find a decent sports figure to endorse your product? Really? There must be some athlete in this country who has a clean and honorable past?

ATS, you've all mostly got level heads on your shoulders, who would you suggest they endorse?
There must be some athlete out there who deserves this entitlement! Somebody who involves themselves with charities and not because it was part of their sentence.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The guy did his time for the crimes so let it be. What more is he supposed to do?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

What do morals have to do with making money??
2nd line

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

I'm not getting into a discussion on Vick.
The point of my thread was to think of other athletes who could endorse Nike. There must be someone out there who is good.
What about Hines Ward?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants

What do morals have to do with making money??
2nd line

This is the root of the madness. It should matter. Kids look up to these people and the parents are the ones buying Nike's products. What's wrong with someone who has kept their nose clean and believes in being a solid role model. Not a model prisoner.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

The point of my thread was to think of other athletes who could endorse Nike. There must be someone out there who is good.
What about Hines Ward?

My point is athletes are people too. Everyone can and will make some mistakes. You cant give up on everybody...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It makes sense that a company that utilizes abused sweatshop children to fashion their product would hire a man who abuses animals.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Good point!

I hadn't thought of that!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
It makes sense that a company that utilizes abused sweatshop children to fashion their product would hire a man who abuses animals.

Hey! Look at that, Nike is eyeing tie in opportunities! Maybe Vick can get some sweatshop kids into a ring and get some PPV cash selling the fights to sickos!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It's not that. Other people need their chance, too. Woods and Vick have had their limelight. They need to stop sucking it all up now and allow someone who is better suited to get the money Nike is dishing out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

don't like it dont buy nike or follow nike endorsed teams: simples!

Vote with your wallet

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Oh, they'll sign Tiger back as soon as he starts winning again, and gets that #1 rating back.

They have to roll with the tide, today Tiger is still down and Vick is back up, tomorrow Tiger will be back up, but some other poor schmuck will act like a human instead of a superhero, and it will cost him millions for a couple of years.

ETA:
Who the hell still buys Nike's? They are terrible running shoes, terrible Tennis Shoes, and not worth the price as Cross Trainers or Cleats. I can't speak for their effectiveness in Basketball, they might be alright on the court, I don't play much.
edit on 1-7-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
slightly off topic, but only slightly-

Sex vs. Violence in movies

If there is a sex scene it gets rated R or NC-17
If there is violence without the sex PG or PG 13

It's okay to condone death and violence.
It's not okay to condone sex.

I blame the Puritans.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It's not that. Other people need their chance, too.

Woods and Vick have had their limelight. They need to stop sucking it all up now and allow someone who is better suited to get the money Nike is dishing out.

Its about marketing. NIke got you talking about their product and endorsements didnt they? thats exactly what they want. As the Nike rep stated in the article

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field."

edit on 7/1/11 by ziggyproductions05 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05

What about Hines Ward?

My point is athletes are people too. Everyone can and will make some mistakes. You cant give up on everybody...

Fighting and killing dogs is just "some mistake" ? Wow. Kinda makes me wonder what "mistakes" you have made.

Deebo

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Nike never had morals. They only dropped Tiger was because he was already losing popularity and the adultery was the icing on the cake. They sign Vick because he's pretty popular right now.
It's Nike, they have sweatshops all over the world.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Fighting and killing dogs is just "some mistake" ?

Yes it was a mistake and he served his time. What more do you want?

Wow. Kinda makes me wonder what "mistakes" you have made.

Uh oh! Are you gonna start judging me next?

edit on 7/1/11 by ziggyproductions05 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

What about Hines Ward?

Fighting and killing dogs is just "some mistake" ? Wow. Kinda makes me wonder what "mistakes" you have made.

Deebo

Actually, for many people fighting and killing dogs isn't even worthy of a fine let alone jail time.
For you, it seems to be right up there with killing humans.
So, personal qualms aside over the severity of his actions, the bottom line is he paid what our society as a whole views as just punishment.

I just read a post on here where a cop tasered, pepper sprayed, and asped a mentally handicapped kid. Personally, I feel that behavior was 10x worst than dog fighting and I'm sure that cop will face no jail time. But hey, thats just me, and that's the subjectiveness of morality for ya.
edit on 1-7-2011 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Good old Corporate America Republican values.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The guy did his time for the crimes so let it be. What more is he supposed to do?

Screwing around on your wife isn't even a crime, so why drop Woods in the first place using your logic?

So what, he did his time? He is a convicted criminal, while all Woods did was play the field.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join