It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Matters 'War' on Fox News Brings New Scrutiny on Tax-Exempt Status

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
well it looks like Rupert Murdoch is on the prowl again.
It seems not too long ago Media Matters started a
media war against Fox News. Hiring private Investigators
to find all the filth on Murdoch and Fox Executives.
Now it seems as though Murdoch is fighting back.

The chorus is growing for the IRS to scrutinize Media Matters' tax-exempt status as the left-leaning media watchdog group wages a "war" on Fox News.

Recent questions about Media Matters' activities stem from a campaign against Fox News that founder David Brock described in an interview this year as "guerrilla warfare and sabotage." By its own admission, the group is conducting "opposition research" against certain executives and producers. It also features a link on its website called "Drop Fox" which helps users contact advertisers and urge them to boycott the network.

www.foxnews.com...

Also like to point out that Soros also made a $1M
donation to Media Matters publicly. Who knows how
much Soros has given them through his left wing
financial networks.

And if Media Matters lose their tax exempt status,
then they will have to reveal who gave them all their
donations. This could open another whole can of worms
by revealing funding sources. It would expose some of TPTB
by names and companies. hmmmmmm, can't wait to see
that list

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Yes, the muck is flying now.

You are right, it would be interesting to see who donated, thinking their names would never come out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Why did they have tax exempt status in the first place?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Tax exempt status for MM is just ridiculous and should be investigated for fraud. Consider the recent office party thrown at the MM HQ to celebrate Beck's last show. These goons actually are giving themselves credit for his departure from Fox.

The war has only just begun for them because Beck's new venture will be far greater with NO Network constraints. All GB all of the time.

Check out this link for video of the party that was actually covered by Huffington Post. Now, that's funny. What are they so afraid of that they will expend so many resources just to attack one man with a voice?? Beck must be on to something....

As Glenn Beck’s finale show on Fox News draws near, the folks at George Soros’ progressive Media Matters are tickled pink. So much so in fact, they even hosted a soiree to celebrate their victory. The group gives themselves a hearty pat on the back and all the kudos for “getting Glenn off the air” by claiming to have pressured advertisers into pulling out of Beck’s time-slot.

Huffington Post’s Zach Carter interviewed various Media Matterites at the event, many of whom said now that Beck is “gone” they’ll be ever-vigilant of the remaining “right wing media nuts” out there — which, according to one attendee, constitutes the entire Fox News network. Ironic, considering a recent UCLA study actually puts Fox News left of center.

video
www.theblaze.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I could not agree with you more. Tax free status should be 100% eliminated across the board, period. The entire tax free model is rife with abuse and always has been. If there is a societal goal in having these organizations supported, increase the persona/ and corporate tax treatment made to these organizations.

There is no legitimate reason that a university with a $multi-billion endowment, a church that openly practices advocacy for public policy issues or some corrupt shop like AARP to have a tax free status.

Eliminate it across the board and be done with it

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
when if your a "news source" and you actively seek the destruction of another "news source" theres something seriously wrong with that.

it goes to this saying "when theres no news fit to print we make our own" cant stand media matters or the huffintion post or the numerous other left wing news organizations funded by soros.

what comes around goes around and media matters should not have a "Tax exempt" status cant figure out why it ever had one.

none of the others have them what makes them so special?

mess with the bull you get the horns as my pappy use to say.

i want soros to go down in a major way and i do which hackers would bankrupt the dude come on now where are all those hacktivists?
edit on 1-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Here is the funny part.

Media matters "Watchdog" vs. Fox News "A News Outlet"

In order for Media Matters to lose their Non-Profit status they must be engaged in targeted political activity.

So in order for Fox to legally claim they are the victim of a Political attack, they must first admit that they are not a News Organization but rather the political Mouthpiece of the GOP or in otherwords a Political org vs News outlet.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
here is some background info on Media Matters
and some name dropping of it's funding sources.

Media Matters' founder and CEO is David Brock. A reporter for the conservative magazine The American Spectator in the 1990s, Brock (in the aftermath of his biography of Hillary Clinton that brought disastrous reviews) engaged in a public self-denunciation, characterizing all his past writings critical of liberal figures as a confection of lies and slanders. In Brock's present judgment, the mainstream media have fallen under the sway of conservative ideology. He believes that conservatives have moved the mainstream media “to the right and therefore they've moved American politics to the right. … I wanted to create an institution [Media Matters] to combat what they're doing."

Standing behind Brock was John Podesta, a former chief of staff in the Clinton administration and the head of the "progressive" Washington, DC think tank, the Center for American Progress. In 2004 Podesta provided Brock with office space for his fledgling enterprise. Soon after, Media Matters received over $2 million in seed donations from a roster of affluent donors including Leo Hindery Jr., a former cable magnate; Susie Tompkins Buell, a co-founder of the fashion company Esprit and a close ally of Senator Hillary Clinton; James Hormel, a San Francisco philanthropist who nearly served as ambassador to Luxembourg during the Clinton administration; Bren Simon, a Democratic activist and the wife of shopping-mall developer Mel Simon; and New York psychologist and philanthropist Gail Furman. Media Matters, which can accept tax-deductible contributions under section 501(c)(3) of the tax code, has also benefited from the patronage of Peter Lewis, chairman of Progressive Corporation and a longtime consort of billionaire financier George Soros.

www.discoverthenetworks.org...

you should not be able to have a tax-exempt status if your
whole mission statement is designed to attack only one
side of the political spectrum. Then it becomes a special
interests group.

It is like a service oriented business.
the left wing funding sources provide
funds and they target right wing pundits.

A whole tax audit of Media Matters is in order here.
Where does that money go? And who gets the
benefits of it's work?

It's no different than hiring a plumber to fix
your leaking kitchen sink.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If your on the left in DC and you have a problem
with the right, who are you gonna call to get results
to fight your battles for ya ???

Media Matters

Media Matters has not always been forthcoming about its high-profile backers. In particular, the group long labored to obscure any financial ties to George Soros. But in March 2003, the Cybercast News Service (CNS) detailed the copious links between Media Matters and several Soros "affiliates"—among them MoveOn.org, the Center for American Progress, and Peter Lewis. Confronted with this story, a spokesman for the organization explained that "Media Matters for America has never received funding directly from George Soros" (emphasis added), a transparent evasion.

Nor were groups cited by CNS the only connection between Media Matters and Soros. As investigative journalist Byron York has noted, another Soros affiliate that bankrolled Media Matters was the New Democratic Network. In addition, Soros is reported to be involved in the Democracy Alliance, a partnership of some 80 affluent financiers who each vowed to contribute $1 million or more in order to build up an ideological infrastructure of leftist thinks tanks and advocacy groups. News reports list Media Matters as a main beneficiary of the Alliance's funding. By August of 2004, Media Matters' operating budget had already doubled to $4 million.

To summarize, Soros and his Open Society Institute has poured millions of dollars into the coffers of MoveOn, the Center for American Progress, and Democracy Alliance. In turn, these organizations have funneled some of that money to Media Matters.

In October 2010, Soros openly announced that he was donating $1 million to Media Matters, which would use the money to hold “Fox [News] host Glenn Beck and others on the cable news channel accountable for their reporting.”

www.discoverthenetworks.org...

They even had a party at Media Matters when Fox canned
Glen Beck's show. Huffington Post covered the party.

This is no different than illegal money laundering.

edit on 7/1/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I highly agree with your post, but it begs the question, whos scrotom are they fondling in order to recieve tax exept status?

One must wonder how they recieved it... who let them recieve it, and why has no one ever questioned it? The IRS can catch Mr. and Mrs. Nobody with a huge audit based on a 20 cent discrepency, but why not them...

Fox

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker

I highly agree with your post, but it begs the question, whos scrotom are they fondling in order to recieve tax exept status?

One must wonder how they recieved it... who let them recieve it, and why has no one ever questioned it? The IRS can catch Mr. and Mrs. Nobody with a huge audit based on a 20 cent discrepency, but why not them...

Fox

once you open up Pandora's box about 90%
of DC politicians would be arrested for illegal
campaign funding.

DC will protect it's own, even if they are on
the other side of the aisle as both sides enjoy
the illegal money laundering.

it has to end somewhere

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
also from the link provided

In 2007, Mrs. Hilary Clinton told the YearlyKos convention of leftwing bloggers
that she "helped to start and support" Media Matters.

Who oversees Tax Exempt Status in the US ???

the Sec. of State ??? The IRS ???

Hilary IS the Sec. of State now
and she helped co-found Media Matters.

Is that NOT a conflict of interest ??????

Tim Geithner is the Treas. Sec. Doesn't he have
authority over the IRS ???

thanks Hilary !!!

edit on 7/1/2011 by boondock-saint because: spelling

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
in a related article.
CAIR just recently had their tax exempt status revoked.
CAIR was supposedly also being funded by Soros.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, as well as the offshoot CAIR Foundation, was included earlier this month on a massive list of 275,000 organizations that the IRS said were losing their tax-exempt status because they did not file required annual reports.

Most of the groups on that list are presumed to be defunct, but CAIR is not -- its website continues to solicit "tax-deductible" donations.

www.foxnews.com...

If you do not know,
CAIR is a funding source to the Muslim Brotherhood.
Egypt, Tunisia, Syria, Libya where the Muslim Revolutions
are occurring.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
MM has tax-exempt status the same way James O'Keefe has it;

IRS Grants Nonprofit Status To James O'Keefe's 'Project Veritas'

Do anyone in this thread think O'Keefe deserves a tax-exempt status for his political organization? How is this different from MM?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I currently enjoyed your other thread as well, that Roger Ailes' had the blueprint for Fox News while serving under the Nixon administration (the least corrupt administration in history..LOL).

Boondock, I'm looking forward to you showing who is donating what to every and all Conservative think tanks and websites.

Ooops...I'm sorry...forgot you only have a fixation with George Soros (for the most part). I think it's pretty obvious you have shown he is funding Democrats which make him no different from the other 100 billionaires who are dumping money into political campaigns and think tanks on both sides of the aisle.
edit on 1-7-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Boondock, I'm looking forward to you showing who is donating what to every and all Conservative think tanks and websites.

Ooops...I'm sorry...forgot you only have a fixation with George Soros.

I would be glad to oust the conservative side of this
as well. Like I said in a previous post, both sides
of the aisle do this, not just Soros and the left.

However, I feel Soros is the more immediate
danger since he is the one pushing the NWO
agenda and has already collapsed 6 nations
economies already.

First things first, they come on a priority basis

Criminals are criminals whether they are on the left
OR right. The left and Soros just appears to be a lil more
dangerous at the moment.

u have to crawl before u walk

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

This shows what the Koch bros and Soros are paying to think tanks,committees, and the two political parties....keep in mind...this is only 2 (well 3 really) people....all of whom have their own agendas.

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not a single comment on this thread btw.

Soros actually didn't spend much in the 2010 campaign but is planning on increasing that the next go round.

edit on 1-7-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

This shows what the Koch bros and Soros are paying to think tanks and corporations....keep in mind...this is only 2 (well 3 really) people....all of whom have their own agendas.

Here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not a single comment on this thread btw.

Soros actually didn't spend much in the 2010 campaign but is planning on increasing that the next go round.

there is a comment on that thread now.
I wrote one. I also S&F it as well.
I like your approach, however it
is too generalized across the board.
The scope is too large. You are fighting
on too many fronts at once. You have to
choose your battles wisely else your
opponents unite against you

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

My fair and balanced approach didn't work eh?

Yes, the scope is large, even in the information shared in that thread it stated that there is no real way to know exactly how much money they are flooding into our government to influence it...this is only what is documented and that in itself is a long read.

I want all corporate, big money, and special interests influence out of both parties. There is no reason why either party cannot function on what it stands for without being flooded with money from the most powerful and wealthy.

Everything is completely out of control where a handful of people can dictate what is reported in the media and how it spun to meet a particular agenda.

Sad thing is, after the citizens united ruling, it's going to get worse in 2012...much worse. Super PAC's are now the future...unlimited amounts of money can be given to them and can actually destroy what might be an actual good politician before he ever gets a chance....further corrupting the system.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

My fair and balanced approach didn't work eh?

it was NOT fair and balanced.
You completely omitted the Jewish Lobby
and AIPAC from your results.

fair and balanced means EVERYONE.
You did NOT include everyone.

Like I said, you are fighting too many fronts.
Best strategy is one wall at a time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join