It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Done with Wellbutrin.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Hello all, I know some of you have seen my post from a while back but for those who haven't, let me give a little back ground. I have been back from over seas for a little over a year now. When I came back, I was a complete wreck. I was drinking around a fifth and pint a night of Crown Royal as well as scaring everyone around me. Around December I finally had enough of living. I loaded my pistol put it to my head in front of the girl I was with and pulled the trigger. My gun did not discharge and to this day we have no clue why.

After this occured I went to the ER the next day and told them what had happened and conveniently left out the gun part. I stated that I needed help with alcohol abuse and informed them what all has gone on. Long story short I started attending AA meetings and seeing a psychiatrist as well as a subtance abuse counselor. I was put on Wellbutrin and Effexor.

A month or so ago I decided to come off my medicine. I have been sober since January and love who I am now. I figured why not? I came off my medicine and a month later I actually feel better than I did while on it. The whole time I was on medication I felt tired and passive. I believe at the time I needed it, but now I am better without it. It is amazing how many friends and family members as well as my Psychiatrist, tell me I need to stay on it. They also still believe I am doing wonderful even though I have stopped taking it. Although they dont know this.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
I believe at the time I needed it, but now I am better without it.

Sounds like getting help worked out for you. Good luck in the future.

Asking for help is always the real right answer.

If by come back you mean from the Military, Thank You

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I HIGHLY recommend that you stay on your meds. My husband and I both have mental illnesses (he is schizophrenic, I am bipolar). I totally understand why you would want to go off your meds, my husband and I have done it MANY times. We have come to realize that even though you feel great right after you come off the meds things go down hill when they totally leave your system.
It's your choice to medicate or not. Just listen to those around you, they see you differently than you see yourself. When you are mentally ill it is very hard to realize when you need professional help.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I appreciate it man. Forgiving myself was the start, loving myself was the next step.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
There is always a light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm on Prozac, and I have been thinking of getting off of it.

I am glad your doing great without your meds, a lot of the time they do more harm than good!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Alcohol really is the worst drug out of all of them. I'm lucky alcohol didn't ruin my life. So are you. Alcohol doesn't even make you happy, after being sober and going back to alcohol a few times(never in large amounts) I have no clue why so many people keep drinking. It sort of makes me wonder if there's a mind control program to get people to keep drinking. All alcohol does is make you dumb. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sk8erchick

I understand what your saying but my illness was brought on because I didn't know and was never taught how to cope once being home. In turn my way of coping was drinking myself to death. I learned how to cope and I learned how to manage being back home. Im no where near 100% and I know I will probably never be, but I don't want to drug myself anymore when now I can help myself.

Many of you here are against religion, but religion really helped out as well. When you know you have someone who cares about you and forgives you whether it be you or god, it makes it that much easier.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy
I myself am learning coping skills, they are one of the most important tools that you can have to help make yourself better. I honestly would like to not take medicine, but my illness is one that will be with me my whole life.
I am religious and know that we can find comfort and strength through it.
Good luck, I wish you the best.

top topics

join