It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychology of the internet (Its time we had a talk)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Now I thought that this was a good place to put this article.. Its a Cracked article but I think it relates a lot to how we act on the internet . I've made a few posts on the decorum of internet users especially in Forums but I thought this is a well written article that is self explanatory, now there is some foul language throughout the article so I will not post quotes (sorry I'm not going to go through and edit and format it...)

4 anger Management tips the internet could use

Now My opinion on this is very true we all dehumanize others on the internet and do in fact seek out confrontation, I'm guilty... Now How many of you are guilty of this my guess is 100% have all committed one of the 4 categories of anger...

I think its time we all had a discussion of the decorum and behaviour on the internet. So Do you agree something needs to be done and are you guilty of Internet anger?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
LOL like I'm going to take advise on how to behave from Simi?
Where is the barbecue sauce?

Sorry, I LOVE those books!!!

Seriously though, I do get angry, but I try to stop and think before I type anything on the net. Not 100%, but I am always trying.
edit on 30-6-2011 by chiefsmom because: answering

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

^^ as do I... But I am not simi just eerily look like how she is described... Just no Hornays

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I am so angry right now........ LOL Just kidding.

I am not one to say I am free of anger, but I have done a lot of work of on being self-consciousness enough to know when I am being stimulated by thoughts of anger to apply the proper antidote. When we become angry it's always in defense of or validate our self-image. It is a backward attempt to substantiate oneself by means of force always at the cost of civility. Anger on the internet, I believe is due mainly because it gets to be an open forum wherein one can take out ones frustrations for fail attempts to assert themselves or acquire the attention they need during their day to day interactions. Due to the fact that there is great supposed anonymity or a perceived buffer which prevents one-on-one interaction on the internet one feel free to vent as hard and as much as possible. Unfortunately, this well of anger is inexhaustible. At the heart of the matter is a neglected psychological component known as attention.

It is said that during infancy lack of attention can lead to maladaptive disorders and biological impediments. Some medical researchers have even gone as far to show that lack of attention will and does cause premature infants to give up their will to live and thus die. Human beings seemingly by nature and design are attention seeking individuals. Thus it can be said that attention is a form of psychological nutrition which feeds ones self consciousness. We, however, don't need to look far to see that just like with certain obese people eating habits the way in which we go about seeking attention to supply our nutritional needs are not healthy. Anger gets to be an unhealthy form of seeking that generates a lot of amount of attention. Those who are aware of this are able to perceive that the proper antidote to get such a person to calm down is not ignoring them. This only motivates them to become even angrier until the proper amount of attention they are driven unconsciously to procure has been achieved. The proper thing is to provide the attention they want often time not by focusing on why or solving their issues but by simply paying them attention and saying, "I see you and validate your right to be and think as you are being." Once this action is taken, the angry person seem to deflate like a balloon.

Anger on the internet unlike anger in society is wholly unchecked because there is an endless supply of individuals who will react the way in which the attention seekers needs in order to fulfill her or his quota for the day of attention without great personal risk. A typical of the personalities of these individuals are those who have great difficulties in their personal lives to fit in or who feel as if they are being held back from being the person they wish to be in their household and/or society. This brings to mind a saying I often hear which goes like this:
We HATE WHAT WHAT DOESN'T LOVE US.
This explains why one of the easiest ways to get your foot in the door on the internet or the real world is to tell people you like them or pay them a compliment.
Robert Cialdini pointed this out in his book titled Influence. In it he says, "we like those who like us. "
So my suggestion the next time you encounter an angry person in life or on the internet is not to ignore them or own the anger(take it personally). Instead try to find it in your heart to remember this lesson on attention and apply a bit of compassion and just give the person a hug or in the case of the internet send them a cyber hug. It is possible to love your way through any situation. Confrontation should always be the last result as it doesn't really prove you right or change the ideology of the person you are confronting.

Thank you for this great OP.
edit on 1-7-2011 by pranakichi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
this thread plays directly into
my other thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The elites are allowing you to vent

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't know if I've changed or grown older but I've noticed alot more anger on here and on the internet general since I came back. I stopped using the internet in may and maybe it's being away from it for so long that has changed my view on it but it seems like everyone on ATS and the internet in general is alot angrier then they were before.

I really think everyone needs to calm down and stop insulting each other over the littlest t thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances. – Thomas Jefferson

I follow this like a boss.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: yaluk

Interesting Quote . If Tom was alive today though in the United States of 2018 , I would Doubt he would be so Calm when it came to seeing his Beloved Country so Divided in it's Body Politic . I would assume he would become a Heavy Drinker in order to Cope with it .......)

new topics

top topics

join