It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Latvian anything...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So, I've been on ATS for some time now... lurking, now and then posting something...

All this time I failed to figure out how to introduce myself.
And here I am now - drinking strawberry milkshake sitting at PC. And what do I find?
This thread by modeselektor
I hope he wont be angry that I stole his idea for an introduction thread.

As I'm tired of cutting grass - I'd be happy to answer your questions. Because the best introduction is through a dialogue not through a monologue.

I could write a long essay about me, myself and my beliefs, interests and so on - but I thought that most of you wouldn't bother reading through all that crap.

P.S.
Forgot to say Hi...
Hello ATS!
edit on 30/6/2011 by archasama because: forgot to say hi

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sveiks ...... welcome to ATS!

As a fellow Balt (by heritage, I'm a Lithuanian), I'm pleased to see "our" region represented here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Labas! I'm happy to see someone from Baltics here either. We are a minority here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by archasama

From an unbiased perspective, what do you think about the current state of America? The economy, war/drug war, politicians, mainstream media, culture, and so on.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

From an unbiased perspective, what do you think about the current state of America? The economy, war/drug war, politicians, mainstream media, culture, and so on.

The economy - it's in pretty difficult state as I've heard. I hope though you get out of crisis because a crisis in US is crisis in world, including Latvia.

War - Well US is doing what a desperate Empire does when it's survival and status as the world's superpower is being threatened. It's trying to get a hold of energy resources. And all wars that it has started are to benefit US not to aid someone else.

Drug/war - I know little about it. But as I've heard government is secretly doing deals with Latin American drug lords and they aren't actually fighting against it.

Politicians - Well I don't like that you have just 2 leading parties that doesn't look like a democracy to me. I don't like any of your politicians that I know of either - well maybe except Ron Paul.

Mainstream Media - I know close to nothing about it. Except people saying that it is owned by corporations and it isn't independent. And i agree that it isn't independent.

Culture - Pop-culture and modern mainstream culture is $#!+ but you still have rednecks, hillbillies, natives - I find their culture interesting. In past USA was much more culturally advanced.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I'm not from Lithuania..... I was born in the States (currently live in Canada)..... but my parents came from Lithuania. In fact, they came from the region right near the Latvian border -- Mazeikiai.

As far as being in the minority.....well, we Balts have always been in the minority but we did manage to become the largest nation in Europe at one time. Ahhhhhh, the "good old days" !

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hiya and welcome to ATS.
Just wondered what lasting impressions or alterations, if any, you feel have been engendered in your culture by the Soviet occupation or do you feel that the essence of your culture has survived intact?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Did they live Lithuania because of Soviet occupation?

I live 10 kilometers from Lithuanian border myself. Some 100 km from Mazeikai.

Grand Duchy of Lithuania was a great time for us. Duchy of Courland and Semigallia was a vassalsate of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It had 2 colonies in one in Africa (Gambia) the other in Tobago. Also they had the biggest navy in Baltic sea. Ah, the golden age....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
hello welcome to ats

no idea what a Latvian but your a human being thats all that matters

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Well we were under Soviet occupation for just 50 years. Of course our culture was endangered but not as much as by occupation of Crusaders. They were the ones who destroyed much of our culture. 700 hundred years under German yoke destroyed our religion and much of culture.

The main thing that was endangered in Soviet times and after is our language. Russification didn't succeed. In the end and most of us speak Latvian.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Why are Latvian women so greedy and manipulative?

Sorry bad experience with my last GF

Welcome to ATS, how are things in Latvia now? I know you had some serious unemployment issues over there and things were quite bad for a time but not sure how they are now?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I think it's amazing that so many people really do not know about Baltic history. In fact, it's amazing that many Europeans don't even know about Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Many don't even know that these Baltic States are members of the EU or NATO!

Linguistically, Latvian and Lithuanian are two of the most archaic languages still spoken today. The Latvian and Lithuanian languages are most closely related to Sanskrit than any other living language. Those who study languages are keen to study our respective Baltic languages because of their archaic forms.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
Why are Latvian women so greedy and manipulative?

Sorry bad experience with my last GF

Welcome to ATS, how are things in Latvia now? I know you had some serious unemployment issues over there and things were quite bad for a time but not sure how they are now?

Well women are like that, aren't they? No matter Latvian or American.

Well unemployment is about 13 - 14 %. In the worst period of crisis it was about 20%. So we are doing better now - and if another crisis doesn't strike we will be ok. Things are not as bad in Spain.

We have some problems with oligarchs. Our president openly stated that on state TV after 20 years of silence, because no one else before this president didn't say that openly - although all nation knows that there are few wealthy persons in Latvia who influences the government. We have problems with corruption too. Our president also initiated the dissolution of parliament. Though there isn't clear if the parliament will be dissolute because there are some unclear things about whether it is legal by the constitution. Otherwise - we are doing ok.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Well i am British not American
and it just seems that Latvian (well a lot of eastern European women) are quite manipulative, but the lack of social support might make them like that
but I have to be honest although spoken with many I only dated one so my view my well be biased, just a shame they are so damn lovely to look at, perhaps it is me that should stop looking from my trousers lol

Glad things are better there now, I know the unemployment was really high, and you needed some financial assistance from Europe a couple of years ago. Corruption did seem to be the mainstream there, the black economy being the main economy. I do keep telling myself I will visit Latvia, I do love the women (despite the moaning) maybe I am just a masochist and don't realise it lol

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

So true, human ignorance is just astonishing.

Maybe someone should make a thread about Balts.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This may seem like an odd question, but do Latvians know who Edward Leedskalnin is? And that he built an enigma in America called Coral Castle?

I guess I'm curious to see if he is just an obscure figure there. Or if there is an acknowledgement of his accomplishment.

Welcome to ATS, BTW.
edit on 6/30/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Yeah you should stop looking for a woman from your trousers and start looking for a woman with your mind and soul. Ha. There are plenty of non-manipulative women in Latvia too. So come and try your luck!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
This may seem like an odd question, but do Latvians know who Edward Leedskalnin is? And that he built an enigma in America called Coral Castle?

I guess I'm curious to see if he is just an obscure figure there. Or if there is an acknowledgement of his accomplishment.

Welcome to ATS, BTW.
edit on 6/30/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

I know who Edward Leedskalnin is. Some Latvians know who Edward Leedskalnin is. There was a documentary about him on TV - year ago. I know that he built the Coral Castle. But many Latvians do not know that.

He isn't popular figure in Latvia but by the power of internetz he and his Coral Castle is becoming more and more popular.

Welcome.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

lol........ don't worry my friend, I'm sure you'll be seeing a number of Baltic related threads soon on a variety of topics: the Svastika (Perkunskrust), Lithuanian-Polish relations and the quagmire that make up the Inter-war years between WWI and WWII to start.

Of course, a good starting point is throwing a tid-bit of knowledge out there such as "how many people know where the Geographic Center of Europe happens to be located?"

Lithuania

Monument in Bernotai, Lithuania
After a re-estimation of the boundaries of the continent of Europe in 1989, Jean-George Affholder, a scientist at the Institut Géographique National (French National Geographic Institute) determined that the Geographic Centre of Europe is located at 54°54′N 25°19′E.[1] The method used for calculating this point was that of the centre of gravity of the geometrical figure of Europe. This point is located in Lithuania, specifically 26 kilometres (16 miles) north of its capital city, Vilnius, near the village of Purnuškės. A monument, composed by the sculptor Gediminas Jokūbonis and consisting of a column of white granite surmounted by a crown of stars, was erected at the location in 2004. An area of woods and fields surrounding the geographic centre point and including Lake Girija, Bernotai Hill, and an old burial ground, was set aside as a reserve in 1992. The State Tourism Department at the Ministry of Economy of Lithuania has classified the Geographic Centre monument and its reserve as a tourist attraction. This location is the only one listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the geographical centre of Europe. SOURCE

Yes, I know, I'm not referring to Latvia here but I am being inclusive to the Baltic States in general. There really is so much to say about the history of the Baltics. Few realize the impact that the past has had upon the present .... few realize the important role that the Baltics have played in shaping the present.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

I think it's amazing that so many people really do not know about Baltic history. In fact, it's amazing that many Europeans don't even know about Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Many don't even know that these Baltic States are members of the EU or NATO!

Linguistically, Latvian and Lithuanian are two of the most archaic languages still spoken today. The Latvian and Lithuanian languages are most closely related to Sanskrit than any other living language. Those who study languages are keen to study our respective Baltic languages because of their archaic forms.

I knew of snippets of the history of the area eg: the Hanseatic league etc etc I just wished to get a view of more modern history from the horses mouth so to speak.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join