It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all folks that know about pet fish and snails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think a snail was trying to mate with my fish, or trying to eat it and im not sure what to make of it. I woke up to check on them. Btw i have 2 penguin tetra and 2 painted glass tetra, and 2 platys. Anyway, There was a snail or 2 stuck to my smallest penguin tetra and he wasn't moving. So i moved him and the snails fell off, and hes swimming again,. but he doesn't look so good. Does anyone know what im talking about?
edit on 29-6-2011 by reesie45 because: dont know where else to ask this honestly

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I used to have an aquarium a long long time ago. Snails are bottom feeders and actually help keep your tank clean by cleaning the glass and gravel of any waste. They help keep the fish clean of any algae too. So I don't really think you need to worry about them latching onto fish.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Sounds like survival of the fittest.

As it sounds, your snail noticed that the fish was a little weak and decided to take advantage of the opportunity for a good meal. If this is the only problem you have noticed, then I would say it is all ok, but check ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels to be sure.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses, i have a pretty basic knowledge of fish keeping and such. I know to test the water and all, but i havent gotten around to that lately, but i should soon. I use nitra ban and conditioner whenever i do a water change. I even use coppersafe sometimes to kill off the snails. Trust me, i only need a few, but i have many. And its hard to kill them manually.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

This fish is 5 times bigger than the snail, would it still do that?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If the bigger fish does not have the strength to defend itself, it is fair game for all. I have seen many times in my tank that the moment something exhibited weakness the other fish were usually all over it. It gets brutal sometimes. If you have too many snails, look into getting some Loaches and they will eat them, having a few snails will help keep the algae down and the glass clean.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Loaches you say? Ive never heard of it, I will look them up though, thank you for the suggestion.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Personally, I would never ever introduce snails to my tanks. I don't like playing God when it come timeto cull them. Two, they tend to quickly take over the tank. I love and appreciate all life forms ('cept ticks, fleas, etc.) But snails I don't appreciate in my tanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sirjunlegun

I think most people do not want the snails either, but it is really easy to get them when getting plants. One of the reasons I switched to saltwater fish. The snails do not reproduce like freshwater.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I kept lots of freshwater aquariums and never used snails to control algae. My janitor of choice was always the Plecos - I always loved it when it sucks on the glass and you see the inside of his mouth.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
My tetra passed away not too long ago, He was suffering, so I had to euthanize him. Thnks for the input guys.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

While some may disagree, I always allowed the other fish to take care of the sick and let nature run it its course and I do not interfere.

join