It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook hires hacker who started Sony war

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Facebook hires hacker who started Sony war

www.independent.co.uk

The 21-year old computer whiz whose legal tussle with Sony triggered one of the largest assaults by the hacker community on a single company has found himself a steady job – with Facebook.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Seems like everyone has got a price.

Facebook are strengthening their army. Must be in fear of an attack.

I wonder will Facebook be attacked because of this act of betrayal?

An army of attackers lead a war against Sony on behalf of this guy and now he has changed sides.

I have always suspected most of these hackers wil either end up working for the government or large corperations. Their aatacks are merely are form of advertising to be recruited.

www.independent.co.uk
edit on 29-6-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
So I illegally attack one corporation and am successful so another hires me?
Nice guys finish last is an understatement here..how is he not being charged? If Farcebook knows its him the cops do too.

Edit to Add: okay so he was charged, but what a slap on the wrist!!

edit on 29-6-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

I definitely have a price

With all the hacking going on lately, looks like a smart move.

An army of attackers lead a war against Sony on behalf of this guy and now he has changed sides.

How to ask this... sony and facebook are on the same side?
um... I want to argue but I can't.... must go google...

I have always suspected most of these hackers wil either end up working for the government or large corperations. Their aatacks are merely are form of advertising to be recruited.

I actually agree with this
when I first heard of the sony hack, thats exactly what I thought they were doing
its kinda like the mob coming into your store and offering to protect you from ...well... the mob - for a price

Originally posted by StripedBandit
So I illegally attack one corporation and am successful so another hires me?
Nice guys finish last is an understatement here..how is he not being charged? If Farcebook knows its him the cops do too.

He was charged.. if you read the article says Facebook hired him "just weeks" after it was settled
edit on 29-6-2011 by Forevever because: ...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

In April, Hotz and Sony reached a settlement,

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

this is just hilarious.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

reply to post by StripedBandit

In April, Hotz and Sony reached a settlement,

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

this is just hilarious.

LOL yeah and if you follow the link they give you (this one) - it does seem like a newage resume!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Didn't Google hire some hackers that had found security holes in Facebook? The mega companies are recruiting for war

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It seems most people here are ignorant of how internet/software security actually works. This is nothing uncommon, far from it.

For decades the best manipulators of code have been employed by companies of all kinds to provide security. Who else to do it bar those who discover and understand it's weaknesses, then subsequently come up with a fix for them?

The only conspiracy angle you want to take with this is these hackers keeping their employers in business by coming out with new viruses and the like which require new and regular software updates, which in turn generates money from the customers (subscribers).

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Well, Im just a little curious.

Anon are supposed to be in the middle of a revolution. I have doubts how successful this will be. I am not knocking this, I just have no idea what their capabilites are. The attack on Sony did seem pretty impressive.

So now the guy who they attacked Sony for has gone to work for another huge planet conqering corperation. Facebook is soley based on the internet. Anon do not need anyone to go out and protest. They could take care of this themselves.

So, if they are what they say they are, is it not possible Anon will now completely and utter destroy Facebook?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

if there is a hacker in the world who can take down facebook, I'd put money on they will
they'll link it up to anonymous if they can - and maybe even have a good reason for it
I personally avoid facebook, seems like thats where the idiots congregate
of course I'm bias cause the idiots I know are my offline neighbors

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
So a person who hcaked into a computer system and compromised names and accounts, is hired by facebook.

Am I the only one seeing the Irony, and potential repeat minus the illegal entry (which is now legal)?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

well i guess if your a customer of sony and read this and are still a customer of sony after reading it. well that would make you kinda stupid.

i suppose most people wont read it. they will just keep playing their games with sony over the internet and tellling their friends about it on facebook.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

He wasn't the hacker who brought down PSN, he was the hacker that found the exploit on the PS3 that allowed the running of unsigned code. He was an ethical hacker and his code didn't allow for piracy. What it did do though was allow other people to use his code and then use it for piracy.
He released the signing keys that Sony used to sign their software which is why Sony sued him under the DMCA.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
He has a skill.
He is not in prison.
He is free to work.

I dont see the problem here...

wish I could cook kernals like this kid could.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
So let me get this right, if a group was to knock off line all of facebook that would mean that they would suddenly be employed and asked to live at Langley again ? , thanks but no thanks to much paranoia, besides its way safer living in transit than some unkown location.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Goathief

Well, Im just a little curious.

Anon are supposed to be in the middle of a revolution. I have doubts how successful this will be. I am not knocking this, I just have no idea what their capabilites are. The attack on Sony did seem pretty impressive.

So now the guy who they attacked Sony for has gone to work for another huge planet conqering corperation. Facebook is soley based on the internet. Anon do not need anyone to go out and protest. They could take care of this themselves.

So, if they are what they say they are, is it not possible Anon will now completely and utter destroy Facebook?

The only thing they ever destroyed was themselves.
Now these days they are hacking for some law breaking losers who want to feed homeless bums. Talk about bottom of the barrel causes. Hahahahaha, utterly destroyed more like it.
Anonymous hacks for bums

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

The only thing they ever destroyed was themselves.
Now these days they are hacking for some law breaking losers who want to feed homeless bums. Talk about bottom of the barrel causes. Hahahahaha, utterly destroyed more like it.

Anonymous hacks for bums

people who want to help the vunerable are losers?

karma can be a real bitch my friend. you wanna mind yourself.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Lulzsec is done OP.

Offically they say their 30 days of lulz are complete. However the truth is that their facebooks were leaked by a rival hacker and I'm assuming they are either arrested or on the run.

Happily I was wrong about this being a covert operation. Just a bunch of kids.

I can try to find a source if you want.

Edit: Your post mislead me. This is not the hackers of PSN. This is the guy who figured out stuff so people could pirate. In a way he is much smarter than Lulzsec...
edit on 6/29/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

how does this guy get a job a facebook's front office and not be in federal prison?

Huh?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well the PSN attack was somewhat justified IMHO.
They crammed a sneaky new "EULA" down the throats of millions. At least half who are more than likely teens with ADHD to begin with. The type of people who would just hit "Accept" without reading any of the agreement. The agreement consisted of giving PSN to use statistics and user info at will from that point on without any further warning. And they basically made it mandatory, because in order to play the "NEW" games, you have to have the latest firmware in most cases. And in order to have the latest firmware, you have to accept the new EULA. So really a pretty shady move on behalf of Sony.

As far as Facebook goes, I wish it was them who got the big one instead. I loathe that site with a passion. It has become "The Selfish Network". People have became so into themselves these days, and sites like FB promote it to no extent, all while collecting your data, habits, likes, dislikes to better their marketing/advertising ponzi scheme. I have seen so much useless drama and fake-ness ooze from that site alone, more than all the hair salons in the world combined.

I had a FB page a couple years ago, and I posted a simple message asking all my "So-Called" friends to please stop sending me invites to games such as Farmville, because I was tired of clicking "NO" constantly everyday while trying to weed through to important stuff. They have since changed the privacy settings for that now. But, it wasn't 3 minutes after I asked people to stop that I got a flood of negative messages bashing me and defending a useless game. I mean it seriously got blown way out of proportion in a matter of minutes. I literally wanted to vomit on their "Wall". So I deleted my account shortly after, thinking to myself "good riddance". But then I get a flood of E-mails in my inbox from a bunch of friends saying "Why did you delete me as a friend?" and to some I replied... "I didn't delete you, I deleted myself" And yet more mad confusion and drama. No body could understand or "Get it".

This whole pretending to be someone you are not, and rather text than actually talk has got to go. I get on a train, and what do I see every time... a bunch of heads pointed towards the ground all pushing buttons quietly on a device that causes cancer. Not just a physical cancer, but moral cancer as well. I wish the majority could realize how stupid they look when they are zombified with a stupid phone in their hands and their head down unaware of anything that is going on around them. Social narcolepsy is more like it.

/END RANT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join