It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, the USA and a new controversial movie!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
As many as 92% of people in America still admit believing in god!! That is according to Gallup poll 2011

That is a staggering amount of the population.

A new movie that deals with the new breed of people known as Atheists. I for one will be watching this!!

Many stories have emerged of atheists being persecuted, mostly by the Evangelical groups inside institutions such as the Armed Forces, but there also instances where non-believers have received even harsher treatment when using legal methods to oppose religious practices, such as the case of Damon Fowler and Ellen Beth Wachs.

So the release of the film The Ledge will at least be a controversial one in the US – it’s being heralded as the “Brokeback Mountain” for American atheists and could cause a wave of renewed interest in the movement. The story focuses on the lives of two people from opposing ends of the spectrum, who become enrolled in a lethal game that neither God nor the police can stop.

Here is the trailer for it

edit on 29-6-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

Same thing happened to me at the bank the other day.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
lol christians

looks good but i dont dig love flicks. wonder how it ends.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Wahhhh everyone is being persecuted ! ! ! Everyone is a victim ! !

And why not? Seems sometimes like playing the victim is the only way to get ahead...

Well, all I can say to this is that the general athiest argument trend has to be to deny heatedly that they are a religion, or any kind of group. Athiests, I keep hearing, are defined by what they aren't rather than what they are.

So which one is it? Because persecution happens to groups with beliefs that can be defined. So are any brave athiests going to claim they actually are a group with beliefs? If not, I don't see how "persecution" is technically possible.

Poor old athiests...persecuted here on earth, and wait until you see what's in store for you in the next world! Fortunately its not too late to accept Christ's gift of salvation.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 29-6-2011 by FTD Brat because: Wrong thread... haha

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheButcher23
I for one will be watching this!!

.....in a couple hours.

Thanks for this. I hadn't heard about it.

All I have to say as of now, is that I'm gonna be mad if Jax jumps, and has not yet completed season 4 of S.O.A.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I don't see it becoming controversial because I don't think many people will watch it...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Yet another instance of a Christian mocking another for their beliefs or disbeliefs. It's very non-Christian, innit?

A laundry list of persecutions:

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, the Atheists come first because it's alphabetized. And, I would like to add that I'm not an atheist. So yeah, try giving me hell.

In regards to the film, looks like I might see it. Looks suspenseful.
edit on 6/29/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/29/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Great reply, couldnt have said it better myself. Minority mentality!
Having said that, i believe we are beginning the "falling away" and it will soon be us christians who are the minority.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Poor old athiests...persecuted here on earth, and wait until you see what's in store for you in the next world! Fortunately its not too late to accept Christ's gift of salvation.

Please enlighten me as to what Christ's gift of Salvation is?

As I remember from the story - Christ did not fair too well himself. Was he not nailed to a piece of wood and whipped before being left to die? How is this man going to offer anyone anything?

I am not an atheist but I do not believe in fairy stories. Or god, or Jesus, mohammed, or anything that places itself above a human!! Until I SEE proof I am going to have to chalk it up to satire!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

actually in an A-Z list "anabaptists " and " arians " come before atheists

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

How do you know its a fairytale, and where does this gift of incredible insight originate?
Are you some sort of medium or is this gift god given?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
After reading the title, i was certain it was about the new movie..
Cowboys and aliens.
That movie looks soo atheist.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I have to admit that I don't understand how this film could be considered controversial in this day and age.. but then again I have difficulties getting my head around the religious nature of my family in America.. *shrugs*

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
Wahhhh everyone is being persecuted ! ! ! Everyone is a victim ! !

And why not? Seems sometimes like playing the victim is the only way to get ahead...

Well, all I can say to this is that the general athiest argument trend has to be to deny heatedly that they are a religion, or any kind of group. Athiests, I keep hearing, are defined by what they aren't rather than what they are.

So which one is it? Because persecution happens to groups with beliefs that can be defined. So are any brave athiests going to claim they actually are a group with beliefs? If not, I don't see how "persecution" is technically possible.

Your arrogance is not appreciated and certainly not helpful to your argument. It makes you look pretentious and uneducated.There may be hidden wisdom in the Bible but if that's your attitude, it's clearly been entirely lost on you.

As for your "dilemma", Atheists are not a religion. You are correct that they are defined moreso by what they are not, rather than what they are. But it is asinine to think that this means they can't be grouped together in any cohesive manner. It's a childish play of semantics. Atheists have a definition, therefore they can be grouped under that definition.

And no I'm not an atheist either. I just have to call BS when I see it.
edit on 29-6-2011 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

That's the most intense tongue lashing I've ever received on ATS!

Well, fair enough. I am open to reconsidering things.

Maybe I'm not articulating myself clearly, and I don't know if I really can, but I think there is an element of validity in what I say. Let me see if I can rephrase it better (not saying I can). OK maybe: The idea of persecution is intimately tied up in history with faith or belief of one sort or another...if not a religion, than perhaps a political conviction. Or, we can speak of peoples as being persecuted, along racial or ethnic lines, right?

Also, generally the concept of persecution carries with it some kind of systematic connotation. You aren't just being stopped in the street and harassed by random people; rather, you are being systematically pursued by the government or another organized body. Is this what you are claiming is happening to athiests?

Athiests may find themselves at the receiving end of the ire of people who don't agree with them or like them for one reason or another...but is this the same as persecution? Doesn't it seem a little pathetic and a bit of a reach to try to play that card for a "group" that is only united by the lack of a particular belief and generally claims not even to be a "group" at all?

Is that any better, Cap'n?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

Great reply, couldnt have said it better myself. Minority mentality!
Having said that, i believe we are beginning the "falling away" and it will soon be us christians who are the minority.

Sounds like the two of you have already fallen away... All the pomp of the good word, none of the substance.

new topics

top topics

join