It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former cop says his lies sent people to prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Mr O'Brien, an undercover officer during drugs operations in the 1970s, was the star witness in court trials but he later confessed he lied on oath every time he testified, the New Zealand Herald reported today. In his confession, he said he could not guess the number of people who were sent to prison because of his lies because he stopped counting arrests at 150, half-way through his three-year undercover stint. He lied to the courts and juries to get convictions in every case, he said. As well, he was often high on drugs, including cannabis, coc aine, heroin and '___' - but never during trials. Tampering with evidence was common and exhibits before the court were often not the drugs he had bought from the target.
refreshingnews9.blogspot.com...

What a scumbag. He stopped count @ 150, and that was only half-way through his 3 year undercover career. We can assume that the number is higher than 150. He did not come forward until 30 year after his appalling actions.
Did he not think of his actions having an impact on those convicted and sent to prison and how hard it would make their life in getting a career. No wonder cops are losing respect. If this is just one guy, it makes you wonder how many more of them are out there, since the war on drug has been shown to fail. It isn't unusual to see cops convict innocent civilians only to be found later that they lied.

I have to say, I am disgusted. How low can they go? It seems like cops these days have no knowledge of morality and be able to discern it. They just go about obliviously following the law like automatons without question it.
edit on 28-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
thou shall not lie
He has been tagged weither he likes it or not for causng others 3d discomforts......
THANK GOD THERE ARE REAL GUARDIANS
Be well

edit on 6/28/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Reminds me of this thread: LINK...

Must be some kind of fad amongst the law enforcement type at the moment...

Thanks for the link...I will read more about it!

edit on 28-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...link up...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
He's just one who's confessed.

How many more are there that haven't yet confessed, allowing innocent citizens to rot in jail!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
A good friend of mine, and former boyfriend of my daughter, was driving with a 40 something black man who is also our friend. They were stopped because to the officer they looked suspicious. It was the ex-boyfriend's car and he consented to a seach because he knew there was nothing in the car. One cop reached in the center console compartment and came up without about an ounce of weed in a baggy announcing, with a huge grin on his face, "Well, look what we have here!". Both were taken to jail. Both have sworn to me there was nothing in the car until the cops searched it. I'm still somewhat pro-cop but realize there are plenty of them out there who think the same laws they enforce don't apply to them.

My wife says all cops are scum. She may be a little biased though. She was married to one who was a serial cheater and she taught a course on relationship health at the police academy.
edit on 28-6-2011 by wasco2 because: clarification

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Karma's a bitch, he'll get what's coming to him either in this life or the next.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Whoa, people at the risk of being flamed not all cops lie under oath or plant evidence on people. Yes, you are correct there are obviously those that do but most are just like you and I, trying to make a living and support their families. Those that do should be prosecuted but let's try really hard not make the blanket statement that "they" all do.

I should also point out I'm no big fan of cops but while the bad ones are out there; those same bad apples are in every profession.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
hmmm..obviously cops have lied, and intervened with justice, and this is an example.

So the question is..what now?..do his confessions to set up free those who did time unjustly.

I sure hope that if a cop finally confesses to something like this, that the victims get some justification.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
He's just one who's confessed.

How many more are there that haven't yet confessed, allowing innocent citizens to rot in jail!

Doesn't it make you just sick that there are plenty of more people like him out there and that the system protects them

First, if a police officer lies in order to falsely convict someone he should immediately lose his/her status as an officer of the law for the rest of his/her life. Second, all of said officer's income ever accumulated from duty shall be given to the falsely accused (yes, I mean ALL INCOME). If the officer's existing credit does not suffice the officer's assets will be seized starting from the most valuable down to the least. These assets will be auctioned off to the public to the highest bidder on an individual basis. This process of seizure and auctioning off of the officer's property will not cease until all the income the officer made in his/her lifetime of service is given to the falsely convicted. The total income will also include the value of all the benefits used by said officer while in service. If there is a remaining total after this process the officer will accumulate a debt to the falsely convicted mirroring the remaining total the officer as yet to pay. This debt must be payed off in the time the falsely convicted was imprisoned (30 years imprisoned, means 30 years to pay off the debt). The falsely convicted will be able to collected applicable unemployment checks from the officer during this time. During this time of debt payment the officer's individual income tax will be increased to 50% (the individual income tax may be increased if the officer's normal tax bracket equals or exceeds the 50% tax rate). The tax collected above what would be the officer's normal income tax bracket will be seized and given to the falsely convicted. If the falsely convicted becomes deceased during this period the remaining total will be given to the next of kin. If the falsely convicted has no next of kin the IRS will collect remaining debt from the officer until the debt is fully payed off. With the remaining total collected by the IRS, mail informing the public of this failure of justice will be distributed to as many people as possible (selected at random) using the collected credit from the officer.

The falsely convicted will receive an I.D. card proving his/her false conviction to the general public. As long as the falsely convicted has not committed any other crime he/she by law does not have to answer any question pertaining to criminal record by any employer. The potential employer may verify the falsely convicted's condition with the verification number on the card. Any potential employer still requiring any further clairification from the falsely accused under such conditions will face up to a $1,000,000 fine in which half will be given to the falsely accused.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Elzon

sounds like a start

What happens in this case now though?..Have they said how they are dealing with it ? Do the accused have to go through some appeal process?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Im shocked

haha not really

corrupt authority.

They all need to come out at once. One big massive police confession. that would be liberating.

new topics

top topics

join