It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt - Eating Too Much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Let's face it.....there is too much hidden salt in our food. It is really healthier to cook at home with fresh ingredients. I myself am working on bringing my blood pressure down.

Here is a list of spices to use instead of salt.

Ginger
Basil
Rosemary
Organic kelp granules
Oregano
Ground bay leaves
Fresh garlic
Chives
pepper

I also now buy fresh jalapeno green peppers... chop them up and add them to many recipes...good and spicy!

What are some more spices we can all use instead of salt...please add to my list.

Start reading the labels of the prepared foods you eat and look at the sodium content...also restaurant food...as well as the fast food places...the salt/sodium content is way over the top!

Really (in my opinion) to get and stay healthy a persons sodium intake should not exceed 1500 mg a day...which is the equivalent of 3/4 teaspoon of salt.

Here is a link for more information: www.ext.colostate.edu...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I once heard that we ingest more than enough salt without adding it to our food and that we would do fine/better without adding it. Ever since that, I stopped using salt when I cook. And then I started to actually taste the amount of salt that is added to prepared food on the rare occasion that I eat it (cans of soup, packaged dinners, etc.), and can now appreciate low sodium food as I am not conditioned to expect such massive quantities of salt. I'm sure that most of us could benefit from less salt!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Just use Mrs Dash Table blend. Mrs Dash

I use it in a lot of my cooking. It would also be good to stash a bunch of these for any survival situation.

Or just grow a garden and make sure you have these items...
Onions, black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, savory, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, garlic, orange peel, carrot, tomato, red bell pepper, citric acid, lemons.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I too will have high blood pressure some day like my father; He taught me to put salt on almost everything and unfortunatly we like salt so much, we put way too much on there. I am only 20 and I have had 5 kidney stones due to too much salt intake. I hope we can all learn to eat healthier

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I really recommend cooking with cumin. You can add it to anything, rice, stir fry, meat, vegetables, fish. It tastes soo good, and if you go to an Asian market you can buy it really cheap, about maybe $4 for a 200 gram bag. Whereas if you go to an American grocery store, it would be $4 for 40 grams in a little jar.

top topics

join