It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien encounters 'within twenty years'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Alien encounters 'within twenty years'

www.guardian.co.uk

Russian scientists expect humanity to encounter alien civilisations within the next two decades, a top Russian astronomer said on Monday.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms ... Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years," said Andrei Finkelstein, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Applied Astronomy Institute, according to the Interfax news agency.

Speaking at an international forum dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life, Finkelstein said 10% of the known planets circling suns in the galaxy resemble Earth.

If wa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I find it very interesting that Finkelstein has been running a sort of Seti type program since the 60's for the Russians. It is also interesting that we are hearing his opinion only, it happens to coincide with my opinion that there is multiple life on other planets, but it is still just an opinion. Quite possibly his assertion is tainted by his having spent his whole adult life looking for extraterrestial life, the desire to find something perhaps outweighs his scientific observation.

At the end of the day his claim is based on some sort of 'probability of life incidence' across the galaxy by looking for conditions that coincide with Earth's. He says aliens will look like us just with different skin, what about life in and on planets that aren't earth like, I think this is where we will find definitive evidence of extraterrestials and it is likely to be very 'simple' life (bacteria etc) first.

Anyway, the articles interesting and I learnt that Russia have had their own version of Seti for 50 years

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

They said that 20 years ago as well I know that they are out there but im not holding my breath waiting for contact anytime within my life

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
"We" already know. It's just that we choose to not accept it yet.

I can see a few ET's facepalming and going "Tom, can you believe this sh!t? Seriously! They want SIGNS?! What, are they frikkin blind?! We have given them a million "signs" over the years!"
"Take it easy John, they are just afraid of change... give it a few centuries..."

IT--

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Great info! S & F, fro sho!

Good to see that one in ten planets are earth-ish-y! Watch out for the sales of Earth-type planets by the same folks that sell name-your-own-stars, or acreage on the moon!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This already has a thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Interesting isn't it how the media are spinning these stories one after another whipping up a maelstrom of alien contact snippets for all to see. If we look carefully at each report the media is no longer ridiculing people for believing life exists elsewhere but rather entertaining the notion and 'forcing' through repetition the fact that we could very well indeed meet others like ourselves in the not so far distant future. I can't help but turn to the words of Werner von Braun every time I see these articles appearing in the MSM

Time will tell.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

It is true that sightings have been met with serious reporting more and more frequently by elements of the media that were more than dismissive in the past! If one stops and thinks it does appear more than possible that disclosure is being prepared. I still maintain that first 'alien confirmation' will be microbes. I remember plenty of stories from a few years ago saying alien life had been found on Mars in the form of bacteria. I am sure this was subsequently disproven, but in essence you are right the media is becoming more and more tolerant of 'alien stories'.

top topics

join