It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

content control and thread promotion on ATS : 100% distraction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I am a scientist (sic)

a stupid post with no depth nor interest whatsoever quickly moved from introduction to science and technologies

(why not religion ? it is a clear the op is at best a blind believer & has nothing more to offer)

63 flags counting

on home page since what ? 1 day

29 pages of replies, most of them demonstrating how the op is an ignorant charlatan

so what's the purpose of this moving/promoting thread trend ATS rulers ? (second time in a few days after the media man)

distracting your audience from more important topics ?

i don't understand these promotions; the flag system is biased

who really control the content of this website ? where the lurkers should be directed to ? i mean it is obvious that most of the traffic browse through the homepage and trust the flag system rather than give an in depth look to all the latest threads since their last visit.

who decides to move to promote (as opposed to move to hide as this happens very often and discussed in countless threads so no need to elaborate on this again) & why does it happen only with silly uneducated and useless posts ?
edit on 27-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I agree completely 100%. I began reading the thread, even took notes on comments I wanted to say, and I got to page 17 before I just threw out my notes because people were addressing them and frankly I couldn't see were it was going and the OP was ripped apart by the more knowledgeable members on this site. What I didn't get was the "Sock Puppet"(IMO) that was created during the thread to pump his OP. People called him/her a troll or dis-info agent but to me it was an obvious "Sock Puppet" , a violation, yet both continue with no real information being given by anyone but the members we already know and trust. IMO.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I agree! ATS has been very vanilla last week or so. Also I think you could do better than "I am a scientist" really? Nice post here how do I flag it?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
There is that "minus" thingy next to the thread title on the recent posts page. Just click that and it all goes away.
You can even customize your own ATS page for your personal likes/dislikes and totally ignore all the fluff and bluster.

Beez
edit on 27-6-2011 by beezzer because: b

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I read that post as it entered new topics and wondered at the presumptive nature of the thread.
I've read a dozen books on quantum physics and would not hope for clarification from some anonymous poster on a half the time completely silly forum like ATS.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Is there a way to customize what topics you see on the front page? I'm getting really sick and tired of the "___ things from ___ on ___ that you didn't know about but REALLY REALLY should look at! [UPDATED: FURTHER CONTENT ADDED!!!]" threads I've been seeing in the past few weeks.

As far as thread promotion goes, I've seen threads made by the admins stay up on the front page for weeks. I wouldn't mind it so much if they weren't taking up a spot that another thread could be occupying.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I think it only works for forums. (ignore option)
BUT!
If you subscribe to a forum, then you can always find it on the "myATS" tab.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

Haha, i think it was worth flagging him so more people can realize his stupidity, laugh at him, and insult him mercilessly and test his being a "scientist" even though he obviously can't define the word theory xD

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I've noticed how some threads seem to hang around yet others don't seem to get any time on the New Topics section. ~I look at the Recent posts to find interesting things to read and often wonder how I missed seeing them on the New Topics because often it takes ages to catch up reading a thread you missed initially.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Whoa, no doubt right? Come to think of it he was rather weird with no real "breaking" science info either, he was a big headed donkey, or no people skills whatsoever, or 13 years old, just really strange if you just think of how he reacted and the answers. But back to your main point here, I agree, I was kinda surprised it was on the front page of ATS, some guy who has his first post here EVER, in which his *( trumpets please) amazing Introduction mocked our whole family and the mods moved it to science when it was really just a bit(h session from us who were offended? Huh?

I guess I could kinda see the science move forum by the mods to a small degree since at least ten percent of the questions were science/ string theory based, but to support your suspicions, if it gets moved to the other forum he can get hella stars and flags and be on the front page lol hmmm. You may be on to somethin' Mika... and then the supposed Media Guy who has yet to tell of any valuable info that we were ready to drool over

So my question to you is- which two topics here on ATS do you believe we should really be paying attention to? Which ones in your opinion should be on the front page?

My opinion, definitely the Yellowstone seismic activity I mean it only has like 689 pages of replies and 130 stars or something, not to mention the severe importance of it, plus the Marshal Law thread... Yeah, those are first page quality threads IMO, and this one too

Peace out,
Marriah
edit on 27-6-2011 by marriah3330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

So what is that thread distracting us from?

And what is this thread distracting us from??

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
So my question to you is- which two topics here on ATS do you believe we should really be paying attention to? Which ones in your opinion should be on the front page?

lol good question... the awful fact is that it worked on me (too i guess) -> i got distracted & i lost time on this useless thing, then i got angry with ats, wondering about the arcane of this ats machine, how the flag system can be so easily controlled & how ats has completely lost touch with its (supposedly) primary objectives; so yes i didn't check what i've missed in that time (and now i'm busy...)

thanks for pointing out to something that makes us less dumb,

the decent contributors of this space should take over the control of the content, over the owners, over the "mods", over the sock puppets, but it'd need a synchronization/collaboration that'd be a hell of a work and i believe we also have other things to do in our lives (as opposed to those owners/mods/sockpuppets)...
edit on 27-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This also happened with the "Hussein" thread...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
There is that "minus" thingy next to the thread title on the recent posts page. Just click that and it all goes away.
You can even customize your own ATS page for your personal likes/dislikes and totally ignore all the fluff and bluster.

Beez
edit on 27-6-2011 by beezzer because: b

GRRR THE TINY BUNNY IS CORRECT.

BUT THEN, WHERE DO I RAGGGEEE?

RAWR!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The flag system has been around for years; I don't mind that. I'm not a huge fan of stars though, and now the "Gold content contributor" stuff.

I didn't have the patience to read some of those threads, so no distraction.

edit on 27-6-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
reply to post by beezzer

Is there a way to customize what topics you see on the front page? I'm getting really sick and tired of the "___ things from ___ on ___ that you didn't know about but REALLY REALLY should look at! [UPDATED: FURTHER CONTENT ADDED!!!][HOAX]" threads I've been seeing in the past few weeks.

Just to add, the title in your post was just sent to the HOAX bin.

No need to stress now, they're gone!!

edit on 27/6/2011 by badw0lf because: 1.7 million dollars for MJ outfit. That's 1.7 million dollars removed from a wanker who has no sense.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Well when it keeps a closed thread in place it gets annoying.

did I do it ok?

edit on 27/6/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
hey scientist man, didnt you know its all about ad revenue and they need the ads to keep this site alive?!
haha what a joke hey... they want the truth but only if its their sort of truth...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
ok then

sorry starless and bible black

... i hate rules

duties is a better angle

and transparency is one of those values

edit on 27-6-2011 by XmikaX because: to remove pm received ...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

You're not meant to post PM's.

It's against the T&C's.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join