It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency water supply. Are you ready?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
I have a question too. If I gather the 5 gal cooking oil containers from work, they are recycle code 2, food grade. Wash them thoroughly, how long could I expect city tap water to last before rotating out the water? Searched some and got conflicting 3 mos to 1 year before additional treatment would be needed. Check with your local restaurants, see what days they change out their fryers. They have excellent capacity and are free. So no economic impact on my income to have some in storage. They have handles so relocating them within the home for storage is a cinch. The food buckets are harder to come by, most employees get first dibs so I rarely get those. Am using those for storing dehydrated food packets cause they seal so well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 year

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

thanks so much.
2nd line.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
And, the winner is:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have a hot tub that hold just shy of 500 gallons. The water system serves about 250 households and is gravity powered. A small generator should keep it filled, though I don't have control over that aspect. There are two retention ponds nearby that, during the winter, could provide some local water, though not potable without treatment. Thise are not exactly long-term self-sufficient solutions, but they would last a little while.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't know how many cases of water I have stashed around here now in a cool place. But this is bitchen thanks for tip Vio. I'll get back to you on this.

SnF
edit on 20-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
where do you live again? hehe

I am totally not prepared. I don't even know where to start..other than the link you provided...however, I don't have the money for all that. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and family lately and none are prepared for anything..we all seem to be living payday to payday with barely enough food to hold out the two weeks in between..Some of my family live here in midwest others live in california..other than food and gas to last the payday..there is nothing left anymore
I hear you and I know exactly what you are saying. Times are tight and most people are feeling the pinch. I use coupons (paper & on-line), I shop sales, Craig's List and thrift shops. Yard sales have great stuff to go into your emergency supply box. I just got a Red Cross emergency radio (solar) that was on sale & used a $10 off coupon that I signed up for.

Now on to the subject.... I think I am okay on water. We live on a well so we have access but until I get my generator it won't do me much good if the power goes out. I do have concerns about water purification if we have to leave our home. I have seen many different kits, tablets, drops, tubes etc... I am confused as to which one to get for my BOB bag.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join