It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
bbc news

An extreme eight-week diet of 600 calories a day can reverse Type 2 diabetes in people newly diagnosed with the disease, says a Diabetologia study. Newcastle University researchers found the low-calorie diet reduced fat levels in the pancreas and liver, which helped insulin production return to normal. Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.

Wonderful news and seems to confirm what others have been saying for years. Having a healthy diet can actually reverse the diabetes in people. I hope this information is confirmed in later tests and that people take it to heart and start eating properly.

The question of susceptibility did come up;

However, not everyone in the study managed to stay free of diabetes. "It all depends on how much individuals are susceptible to diabetes. We need to find out why some people are more susceptible than others, then target these obese people. We can't know the reasons for that in this study," Dr Lim said.

So this would not be considered a cure for those that might be genetically prone to diabetes, but it sure seems like a good common sense way of not getting it through poor diet and exercise.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
this is absoloutly true.. 100%..... my aunt had a gastric bypass a couple of months ago and here diabetes went... she has even stopped taking her insulin now...
S&F

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
They just figured this out? Thanks for sharing however, as it may help some people. I'm sure lots of people, myself included, knew someone with adult onset Diabetes who lost weight then no longer had it.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

More importantly than reversing type 2 diabetes, a healthy diet would stop people developing it in the first place!

It's not just losing weight that is important here but the types of food eaten. I have one relative who lost weight and is still pre- diabetic but thinks they have a 'healthy' diet because they include a bit of fruit. It is actually all the Starchy processed carbs (white pasta, flour etc.) that release sugar into the blood stream quickly that are the problem, the fruit doesn't help either as it also quickly releases sugar into the bloodstream. Strangely enough doctors in the UK still advise diabetic patients to eat a diet high in carbohydrates and don't explain the difference between slow release and processed carbs. I have tried to explain this to no avail.

Even though this confirmation of diet being able to reverse type 2 diabetes is good, what constitutes a 'healthy diet' needs to be made clear.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
You do not understand diabetes and i hope you don't have diabetes because you will be in trouble.

First most people with type 2 have already went through 3 to 5 years of pre diabetes and have metabolic syndrome(insulin resistance.) where the body is not using insulin properly.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

The insulin receptors no longer work right and the body can not use insulin.
at this point the body starts to store sugar as fat

A 600 calorie diet will do little but slow the process down unless these people have been stuffing them self for years.

I knew because of family history i would become a type 2 diabetic and keep my weight under control
that worked till i got sarcoidosis and the systemic inflammation, high C-reactive protein, Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFα). then because of the endocrine problems from the sarcoidosis i had a heart attack and that left me disabled and unable to exercise to lose weight i gained from the heart attack and the sarcoidosis.
i was told i would be a diabetic by 45 years of age. i did not become a diabetic till i was 57.because i went on a diabetic diet 30 years ago.

The clue to how i know you do not understand type 2 diabetes is you using the term calories.
diabetics do not count calories we could care less about calories.

Diabetics count Carbs, meat has calories, but meat is high protein the body uses protein to build and protect organs.
www.dlife.com...
Meat does not have carbs and diabetics know how to use carbs and the types of carbs. slow carbs, fast carbs, good carbs, bad carbs and fiber carbs.(glycemic index )
www.dlife.com...
www.livestrong.com...
forecast.diabetes.org...

We know when to eat each type and how much of each type we can eat.

edit on 25-6-2011 by ANNED because: 17394765

join