It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Numan was an Asperger Syndrome Disciple or Sufferer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Gary Numan the Godfather of Elecronica Music Ok after Kraftwerk, Eno ect is reported to once being an acute Asperger symptom ? exhibitor.
Most of his music was in conventional terms "abstract , distant, cool, detatched ect whilst still ambient in texture.
The question is was he disadvantaged by the Asperger part , or did he benefit?
A strange question or do Asperger types have an advantage?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Who knows?

I believe a person is born with artistic ability. Gary Numan was born with his ability just as he was born simultaneously with (supposedly) Asperger's.

By that logic, he would still have had the potential to make the music he has made regardless of a mental impairment which affects social ability.

Although, coming to think of it, a reduced social life is especially helpful for making digital music!!

edit: I know this ^
edit on 25-6-2011 by RenegadeScholar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Good for mentioning Kraftwerk.

Possibility that he was affected negatively and positively, however he at least had the opportunity to express himself which influenced many. It is said he could not relate to styles such as Punk Rock, thus creating his own style with earlier electronic influence(see above).

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Hmm, I never thought of that before, but this can be seen in a lot of his lyrics as well. It wouldn't surprise me. I've known a number of engineers with Aspergers who were good at what they did precisely because of what they had. Now, if those engineers (or Gary Numan) were therapists, waiters, or anything else that involved social aspects of working with people they likely wouldn't have been as successful.

More thoughts: disciple is not an appropriate word to use. Aspergers is considered to be on the mild end of the Autism spectrum and so can be seen as a form of Autism. Can it be an advantage? Like I said above it depends on what a person chooses to do with their life and what life situations they find themselves in. Advantage? I don't know- I can't do this can you?

edit on 25-6-2011 by coyotepoet because: add video

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Didn't make any difference when I saw him and Cars at the Brighton Pavilion (Stables). I still remember it with great fondness my Brighton era. I hear he and his wife are heavily into animal welfare, hope he plays them some of his excellent music.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Who knows?

I believe a person is born with artistic ability. Gary Numan was born with his ability just as he was born simultaneously with (supposedly) Asperger's.

By that logic, he would still have had the potential to make the music he has made regardless of a mental impairment which affects social ability.

Although, coming to think of it, a reduced social life is especially helpful for making digital music!!

edit: I know this ^
edit on 25-6-2011 by RenegadeScholar because: (no reason given)

Yes agree but sometimes an ability within is born to this external world by desire?
Music is to a great extent about communication?

Perhaps is lack of success socially led to his electronic expression or as you say digital.

He says he stumbled upon a synth whilst attending a punk type recording session he was abouit to do.
He says in an interview it was instant connection, he knew this is where his creative future lay.

As far as social life is concerned , I've found its better not to mention that you are a songwriter or composer , to those without knowledge of such things , they just kind of give you that uuh oh look.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake
[more

Yes Kraftwerk were certainly Brilliant, the sounds and rhythms they coaxed and tweeked out of primarily Moogs inspired bands such as New Order, Numan, ect.
They had so much emotion in there too but in a dare I say remote detatched way.
Numan was lambasted by the critics and Bowie hated him for a while I believe, said he copied his image, his cool, his alieness, but Bowie is the first to admit he wasn't an innovator,just a successful absorber of influences.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
Didn't make any difference when I saw him and Cars at the Brighton Pavilion (Stables). I still remember it with great fondness my Brighton era. I hear he and his wife are heavily into animal welfare, hope he plays them some of his excellent music.

Iam jealous as I never got to see him yet
...anyone who is a defender of Animals against cruelty is OK with me
Loved his early albums espescially "The Pleasure Principle"....I honestly think he went off track , when he didn't evolve with the new technology that came after the mid eighties.

top topics

join