It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D-Dalus HOW IT WORKS, strange craft Down Under ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A brand new kind of air craft !!!

Here is a good article on it.

Another one ...

MIGHT be a revolution.

By trade I am a software test engineer but I grew up on a farm and am very mechanical, and I have been continuing to study science since school and getting old now I have branched off into design engineering.

To start with, I KNOW HOW IT WORKS, and I think this is probably a revolution similar to the Seguway Scooter but BETTER, BIGGER !

Here is the most useful page on their very elegant web site (They have learned WELL from Steve Jobs.)
D-Dalus

Ideally we would love an aerial platform that can approach as gently and silently as a hot air balloon, can stay in the air like a humming-bird, can rotate in any direction like a football, can ‘glue down’ on the deck of a ship like a ‘tossed pancake’, can see in all directions like a crystal ball, can fly as fast as a jet, is as invisible as a 155mm shell and can be repaired by a local car mechanic.
Such an aircraft now appears within reach.

How D-DALUS works
At the heart of D-DALUS is a revolutionary propulsion system containing a number of patented inventions, including a friction free bearing at the points of high G force, and a system that keeps propulsion in dynamic equilibrium, thereby allowing the guidance system to quickly restore stability in flight.
The propulsion consists of 4 sets of contra-rotating disks, each set driven at the same rpm by a conventional aero-engine. The disks are surrounded by blades whose angle of attack can be altered by off-setting the axis of the rotating disks. As each blade can be given a different angle of attack, the resulting main thrust can be in any required direction in 360° around any axis. This allows the craft to launch vertically, remain in a fixed position in the air, travel in any direction, rotate in any direction, and thrust upwards thereby ‘gluing down’ on landing.

In my explaination as to how it works I will referring to this image ...

Ok, lets start with the macro/over view and move to the mirco/detail.

"The propulsion consists of 4 sets of contra-rotating disks,"

There are 4 pod like propeller systems, one in each corner of the square flying frame that you see in the image. These are NOT your typical props, they are paddle wheels like the paddle wheel driven gambling boats you see in the rivers of Southern USA.

The pod pairs front and back spin in opposing directions to become gyroscopically neutral and stabile, this is what contra-rotating disks" refers to.

"each set driven at the same rpm by a conventional aero-engine."

Each pod pair has its own engine, they all run at the same speed. The engine is the same as the engine in your car accept that it is tuned for aircraft, this is what "aero-engine" means.

"The disks are surrounded by blades whose angle of attack can be altered by off-setting the axis of the rotating disks."

The large black disks that you see 4 in each pod, those have a smaller disk shaped apparatus, blade controllers, inside them which control and set the angles of the blades, or paddles, that you see positioned across each pod.

When the entire pod is in rotation the disk apparatus, blade controllers, inside the those black disks DO NOT ROTATE, they remain stationary to the frame surrounding the entire D-Dalus, thus creating directional control of the blades and trust.

It appears that in the image they have removed the engines, computers, and the sensor arrays that were previously hanging in the center. And I ASSUME in the image they have removed some of the blades so that the internals of the pods can be seen, and to confuse you so that you do not comprehend exactly what they are getting at.

When the blade controllers off-set the main axle of the pod they create directional thrust by positioning the blades, for example of downwards thrust to push the vehicle upwards, the blades on the bottom of the disk in the pod would be WIDE OPENED pointing down and the blades at the top would be closer to being closed. The result would be the blades would slice the air above pulling it down inside the pod and then it would be pushed straight out the bottom of the pod where the blades would be wide open. Yes, each blade is changing angle as the pod and it's blades rotate, conceptually in slow motion it would be like a bird flapping it's wings !

"As each blade can be given a different angle of attack, the resulting main thrust can be in any required direction in 360° around any axis."

By adjusting the blade controllers they can direct the thrust in each pod simply and independently, and in any direction around each pod to control the movement of the D-Dalus with large amounts of thrust to maintain stability in any situation.

"This allows the craft to launch vertically, remain in a fixed position in the air, travel in any direction, rotate in any direction, and thrust upwards thereby ‘gluing down’ on landing."

We can do A LOT OF COOL STUFF by being able to direct large amounts of thrust from 4 points in any direction.

So now YOU know how it works, IS THIS A REVOLUTION ???

I think that the next step would be to drive one with two jet engines between the pods, they would be connected to the pods as optional thrust output for the engines, but this concept begs an important question.

Why not just build two jet engines attached to each other that can pivot relative to one another with some controlled outlets at the side to maintain stability, this would be a much more powerful design ! The answer to that seems to be that the jet engine version MAYBE the future of domestic air travel, but the D-Dalus is designed to work in factories on docks moving pallets and car boxes autonomously under managerial control. Every great technology has to get its start SOMEWHERE !!!

We probably want to credit this tech, NOT to the D-Dalus team in Austrian, while they are brilliant and creative Paul Moller deserves the credit for inventing this tech with YEARS of inventiveness as his flying car has 4 thrusters, each with independent engines, with pivoting pods, and pivoting blades to direct the thrust.

MOLLER INTERNATIONAL

edit on 24-6-2011 by MACchine because: add

edit on 24-6-2011 by MACchine because: Opps

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thread already exists here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Thread already exists here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No it does NOT, in that thread everyone wants to figure out how it works.

In this thread I explain it.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
awesome
keep it commin OP

I'm going to surmise there is also creation of a low pressure above the craft..
and maybe also in the direction of travel too..as well as high pressures on the thrust side?
edit on 24-6-2011 by Danbones because: edit...some content in the post would be nice dan...lol

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
awesome
keep it commin OP

I'm going to surmise there is also creation of a low pressure above the craft..
and maybe also in the direction of travel too..as well as high pressures on the thrust side?
edit on 24-6-2011 by Danbones because: edit...some content in the post would be nice dan...lol

¡¡¡ EXACTLY !!!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

We probably want to credit this tech, NOT to the D-Dalus team in Australia...

every search result for D-Dalus states that it being developed by an Austrian research company - IAT21. do they have another team in Australia?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi

We probably want to credit this tech, NOT to the D-Dalus team in Australia...

every search result for D-Dalus states that it being developed by an Austrian research company - IAT21. do they have another team in Australia?

Oh knowwww, sometimes I read stuff TO FAST !!!!!!!!

SORRY, thanks for pointing that out ...

I guess they are NOT Down Under are they, OH KNOWWW

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

same concept in a different medium

Voith Shneider Prop

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Beat me to it.............We have our own secret aircraft...but they are still secret.

Austria is the place with Snow, Eidelwise, Mountains and Julie Andrews singing.

Australia is the place with Sun, Beaches and Babes (Biaches?).

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi

same concept in a different medium

¡¡¡ CoOoL !!!

And when the waves make the ship rock from side to side then the long blades give the ship a little bit of FREE propulsion !!!?!?!?!

edit on 24-6-2011 by MACchine because: poop

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MACchine
We probably want to credit this tech, NOT to the D-Dalus team in Austrian, while they are brilliant and creative Paul Moller deserves the credit for inventing this tech with YEARS of inventiveness as his flying car has 4 thrusters, each with independent engines, with pivoting pods, and pivoting blades to direct the thrust.

Enough with the Moller promotion, please. Moller didn't invent this technology. Moller is using well known concepts, such as rotating ducted fans without adjustable pitch. This is no different than the Bell X-22A from the 60's. Moller has had 40 years to do what was done, rather routinely in the 60's, without even finishing the design, or building a real development platform. It has kept him employed though, even though he has had nothing to show for it, solely because he *is* the company.

Now, as to the subject. Using the cycloidal drive in the air. It isn't very original, but considering that the cycloidal drive is very powerful, it should work well in air. Kudos to them for adapting it, and I hope they got the patents.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
MOD NOTE#

Sorry but seriously this thread should be closed and comments redirected to the pr-existing thread on this subject. Contrary to the OP's claim there is no different information here provided on how it works, it's just a rehash of what we have already read. Seriously dude you cant even read the difference between Austria and Australia without erroneously crediting the story to the wrong end of the planet!

LEE.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thebozeian

They start and end the same way, haven't you seen the discussions online about how most words can be recognized by how they begin and end.

REALY THOUGH, that OTHER thread TOTALLY SUCKS, every response is just vague speculations about minor details. It took them the ENTIRE fire page just to figure out it ran off ordinary gas engines !?!?!?!

DID YOU COMPARE DATES, how many people came here to find out how it works and then went back to that OLD LAME THREAD to tell them how it works ???

AND Toreishi's post here about those new propellers similar to this air craft is BETTER then ANY of the responses in the other thread.

I throw up my hands, WINNER !!!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Please use the previously existing thread to continue the discussion.

New type of aircraft flies like a UFO

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join