It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Demands Continuation of US Surge in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Source: www.globalresearch.ca...

On the eve of President Barack Obama’s July deadline for beginning the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, the US military has opposed any significant drawdown.

Gen. David Petraeus, the top US military commander in Afghanistan—and Obama’s nominee for director of the Central Intelligence Agency—met with White House national security advisers on Wednesday. According to White House spokesman Jay Carney, Petraeus presented a “range of options.” Carney said that the US president would announce “relatively soon” how many troops would be withdrawn and at what pace.

Citing military and administration officials, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that the military commanders are demanding that the White House “hold off on ending the Afghanistan troop surge until the fall of 2012.”

Looks like Mr. Break-my-promises Obama is going to extend this mission again?

Since taking office in January 2009, Obama has nearly tripled the number of American troops fighting in the decade-old war. When he entered the White House, there were 34,000 troops in the country. Now there are nearly 100,000.

Wasn't he the nobel peace prize winning guy who promised a quick exit from the Afghanistan?!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Its an Opium war and Obama owes Big Pharma, lots more than a health plan thats getting tossed out. He has to payback for his election campaign. Where did those donations come from beside the bail out banks?

Its Obama's war on behalf of Opium. He will add as many as he wants and lie about pull outs like since the day he was in office. His pack of lies equals Bush and he even has more lies than bush.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Trying to say that the Military has any say in the matter over Obama's decision is ludicrous.

So Obama promises to withdraw and today the Military demand to stay? Will Obama cave and say "I had no choice but to listen to my forces over there". Yes he will....At least that's what he will make it look like.

He will then go on to say that although he wanted to do it, he was outvoted. We all know that Obama listens to no one and writes his own laws along with re-writing the Constitution.

So now the American people will stand behind Obama once again because he was 'Powerless' to do what he promised and after all, doesn't that prove that he really is a good person?

This is my prediction and I am truly disgusted that it will actually be proven true.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The Pentagon are trying to justify their multi hundreds of billions of dollars budget.

If they're not at war, there's reason for a large cutback in their budget.

Of course they're pushing for a continuation. If you're worring about budget cuts, it's a good way of ensuring the dollars continue.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
So Obama promises to withdraw and today the Military demand to stay?

this has happened before in 1963 in Indo-China (Vietnam)
and also Cuba (Bay of pigs).
JFK did not fair so well.
just a note worthy of bringing
up in this discussion.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Uhm...
You got it all backwards... There were 70.000 troops already there and he added 30.000 bring a total of 100.000. Now he is withdrawing the 30.000 as if that is any progress when the people wanted the exact opposite. They wanted Obama to withdraw ALL 70.000 troops. And what did he do? He added 30.000! So now he is trying to look good by saying he will remove the troops he himself put there. As if that makes any difference.

Basically they are taking the piss.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

You mean the (private military defense complex AKA pentagon) is demanding to keep their money gravy train untouchable. right?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Reminds me of something I once read about Kennedy discovering that certain missiles (the Jupiter nukes in Turkey, maybe?) had not been dismantled and removed despite his orders. The General responded with something along the lines of "It's my job to protect the United States." Don't remember the incident exactly (obviously) but it was in the book "Essence of Decision", which I highly recommend for anyone who wants an insight into how little power Presidents really have over the military.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I think his promise to get the troops out of Afghanistan, which he is making for the second time because he failed to act on it after he was elected, is just a lie to gain support for the 2012 campaign.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Nspekta

I think his promise to get the troops out of Afghanistan, which he is making for the second time because he failed to act on it after he was elected, is just a lie to gain support for the 2012 campaign.

Well, he might be telling the truth considering the war drumming Syria/Libya/Yemen/Iran's way. Ground forces don't grow on trees, afterall.

new topics

top topics

join