It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery UFO Photograph Found in Air Force Blue Book Files!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Greetings Forumerions,

In doing some research on UFO sightings in ’67, in the great state of Montana, I happened to come upon this photograph (shown above) while perusing various Blue Book File reports. Generally, “photographs” that accompany said reports that have been reproduced from microfilm, as one might imagine–are not the best in quality; accordingly, this one was a pleasant surprise.

Additionally, and with great perplexity, there was "no accompanying report." I thought perhaps it got separated; however in doing a thorough database search, I came up empty.

The rest of the story . . .

Cheers,
Frank

MOD NOTE:
Starting a New Thread?
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on June 23rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
ermmm...Are you sure the site you found this on is legit??If it is..Nice find!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wow...shady looking site if ever I've seen one. Any back-up sources?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3raser
ermmm...Are you sure the site you found this on is legit??

Define legit... it's Frank's site

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Soltari

I think you'll find it's Frank's site.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is getting too wierd, Zorgon. How often does that happen?

edit on 23/6/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Warren

So what is the rectanglular pattern we can easily see on the enlargement (but I can't quite discern of what)? . It is hardly discernable in the smaller image, looking much like an aerial layout of city streets as anything. But the enlargement clearly shows more detail. I'll assume that it is the back side of the page that was photo-copied. I'm guessing it is a page, perhaps a cover, from an old Fate magazine of decades ago.

Images of stars and decent-sized "UFOs" don't usually appear in the same image and what with the haze or fog except as an artistic touch.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I've done a small personal search to see if I can find what camera was used.

The photograph size is of 1080*1363, (38.10*48.08cm) with a 1.262 aspect ratio which is neither a past nor an existing ratio. Thus it was probably cropped and/or resized.

Some still photography formats close to 1.262 ratio and that were present in 1967:

- Half-frame: 18*24 - ratio 1.33; the cameras using this format back in the 60's were very populars. Could be the Agfa Parat or Paramat (1963-1964)
- 120 film: 6*7 - ratio 1.25 (The 6×7 frame enlarges almost exactly to 8×10 inch paper, for which reason its proponents call it "ideal format"), could be a Pentax 6x7, however the first release was in 1969...
edit on 23-6-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Att MOD,

You posted:

MOD NOTE:
Starting a New Thread?
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

Thanks for the heads-up; however:

• I posted "twp paragraphs."

• I posted a link to the entire story

• I authored the article, hence my thoughts are posted.

• I have been a member of ATS since 2007, and a friend to the site much longer; I've worked with ATS researchers and have been a guest on ATS Live. Every post I have ever contributed has been done to inspire intelligent dialogue and or positive contributions to the subject matter (Ufology) in general and specifics to the post therein–in this instance (the subject is) a stand alone (UFO) photograph found in the Blue Book Files.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Personaly I think its just an odd shaped cloud

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the pic, I can say without a doubt that it was aliens, just because humans could have had the technology maybe, but I don't think it would have panned out like this.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here's a thread by Karl 12 on Puerto Rico UFOs/USOs, there's mention of an incident at Ramey AFB on page 2.

Link

jra

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Personally, I find the photo to be fairly unimpressive. This photo could have been easily produced using a technique called "dodging", which is done during the development process in a dark room. This is done simply by blocking the light in an area over the photographic paper. The idea behind it, is to be able to lighten an area that was too dark originally. If you were to dodge an area of a photo for too long, it would end up being a white blob, not unlike this photo.

These techniques would be have known and used as early as the 50's, if not even earlier.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Afternoon Soltari

Originally posted by Soltari
Wow...shady looking site if ever I've seen one. Any back-up sources?

Ouch!

In our defense, The UFO Chronicles has been in existence for over 6 years we have grown to boast readers in over 170 countries, have over 3000 articles archived and some of the brightest minds in Ufology have contributed (and our regulars) to our efforts via penscript, articles, op-eds etc. We’ve expanded to include video, audio and our own radio show is currently in the works.

The "source" in question (re the photograph) is the Air Force Blue Book Files.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
All,

Contrary to popular belief, a picture "on it's own merits" is usually worthless; however, what I find curious is that it found its way into the BB files, was assigned a case no. and an attribution ala Ramey AFB. Having spent much more time then I'd like to admit absorbing Blue Book Files et al, I've never seen an example of this before.

There is always collateral data associated with photos in BB files, even if the event doesn't amount to anything (which is of course is in the higher percentage post investigation). Presumably, there is more to this somewhere.

In contrast, if one follows the link to the Roswell (egg-shaped) UFO, there is in fact corresponding reports to that very interesting photo. Important to note that "egg-shaped" UFOs were seen all over the country in '64 (Lonnie's sighting being the most predominant).

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

There is a report listed on NICAP that matches the "preceding page" date and location info...

April 16, 1967; Shoreline at NE corner of Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico (BBU)
Bet. 5 and 6 a.m. (EST). USAF Airman/2nd Guillermo Padilla and Airman Henry, 72nd Bombardment Wing, SAC, saw a disc shaped object with two levels and a reddish band slightly above midsection, floating or hovering just above the water. Object went left to right and back a short distance then rose from right to left, and Padilla took a photo. Object reversed path and disappeared. (Tony Rullan)

www.nicap.org...

edit on 23-6-2011 by easynow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good Day EN!

Originally posted by easynow

There is a report listed on NICAP that matches the "preceding page" date and location info...

April 16, 1967; Shoreline at NE corner of Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico (BBU)
Bet. 5 and 6 a.m. (EST). USAF Airman/2nd Guillermo Padilla and Airman Henry, 72nd Bombardment Wing, SAC, saw a disc shaped object with two levels and a reddish band slightly above midsection, floating or hovering just above the water. Object went left to right and back a short distance then rose from right to left, and Padilla took a photo. Object reversed path and disappeared. (Tony Rullan)

www.nicap.org...

edit on 23-6-2011 by easynow because: (no reason given)

Excellent! Now (no pun intended :>)) we're getting somewhere!!!

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The NICAP report is definitely the same sighting as the page preceding the photo. We would need to track down USAF Airman/2nd Guillermo Padilla or Airman Henry, 72nd Bombardment Wing, SAC to check whether the photograph is the one mentioned in the report.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Hey Frank and Good day to you as well,

I did some more searching and here's what I found. Hope it somehow helps
The report is listed on waterufo.net and includes a bit more information

Robert D. Williamson, Captain, USAF, Chief, Combat Intelligence Branch, 72d Bomb Wing (SAC). Comments: It is the opinion of the preparing officer that Airman Padilla and Henry are reliable and stable individuals. They are not the publicity seeking type. Airman Padilla was particularly concerned that the other people would think him a “Nut” if his sighting became public. After having discussed this sighting with other members of the Intelligence Division and letting the Prediction and Interpretation Section examine the 35 mm slide, this seems to be a creditable sighting incident.

(1) One (1) 35 mm color slide taken by Airman Padilla.

Signed: Robert D. Williamson, Captain, USAF, UFO Representative, Intelligence Division.

www.waterufo.net...

"ufodna" also has the report listed with an image that is probably just a stock photo ? idunno

Disc shaped object with two levels, hovering just above water

USAF Airman/Second Guillermo Padilla and Airman Henry, 72nd Bombardment Wing, SAC, saw a disc shaped object with two levels and a reddish band slightly above midsection, floating or hovering just above the water. Object went left to right and back a short distance then rose from right to left, and Padilla took a photo. Object reversed path and disappeared.
An object was observed and photographed.

One red saucer was observed by two military photographers at an airfield for five minutes (Guillermo Padilla, Henry).

www.ufodna.com...

And here is a link to the image and that "preceding page" on the "footnote" website

photo
www.footnote.com...
preceding page
www.footnote.com...
search results
www.footnote.com...

I think it's a safe bet the image is the one mentioned in the report. cheers

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Top work people most impressive...

It mentions the original photograph was in colour so does that mean this version is a black and white print of a colour negative or might it be a photocopy of the original colour print? Could someone put a FOI request for the original print?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join